Hydraulic Oil Filter is Stuck

Tennspread

Equipment
L3901
Nov 29, 2016
Tennessee
I'm doing the 100 hour hydraulic oil change on my L3901. I elected to do the hydraulic oil at this time, vs 50/hr. Drained oil and went to remove starboard side filter and it is bound. Its the one with the magnet. I can't seem to break it and now the filter is becoming dissformed. I know back in the day on cars I have driven a screw driver through a bound filter but I am looking for a better way

I don't have a strap type wrench but used a 'C' type filter tool. Never has a problem before

Any suggestions?

Thx

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Tenn -

Factory-installed filters can be tough....I think they go on dry. Worst for me was a Harley Davidson, and I had little room to get at it.

Personally, I would try any type of wrench you can put your hands on before driving a screwdriver through it. Been there, done that.

A strap wrench works well. A cap wrench is worth a try, but not sure how it will work if the filter is getting crunched up already.

I even got one off with a pipe wrench.

Last edited:

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
A screwdriver driven through the filter will just further weaken the filter body.

I would try a oil filter wrench that has a wide circular band (a good quality one) and slide it as close to the base of filter as you can as the filters base will help the filter body from collapsing. If you can't get the filter band near the base, try the end of the filter as the end will help keep it from crushing if not to weakened by the already start of a crush A Napa auto part should have a good filter wrench

https://www.zoro.com/proto-oil-filt...ce&gclid=CMH22evNstkCFYuVxQIdRxENOA&gclsrc=ds

Good luck hope this works without you having to rip filter off and use a large ez out on it

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
slide it as close to the base of filter as you can as the filters base will help the filter body from collapsing.
That's the ticket! I was thinking it, but wasn't explicit in my directions. That's how the 3' pipe wrench got one off...

A plier-type wrench is great if the filter wants to give, but they tend to crush tough ones unless you're right on the mounting flange next to the engine.

A cap was the only way to get at my Harley filter without pulling voltage regulator. Buggered up one of those wrenches and wrinkled the filter.... it was TIGHT!!

185 - Thanks for the important part!

Last edited:

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Mine was stuck on too but the strap wrench took care of it with a little effort. It will come off.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
A very frustrating situation to be in. Keep trying with different filter wrenches before resorting to the screwdriver method. I have seen having to use a cold chisel and hammer on the base to remove one before. Not a recommended practice to say the least, but a last resort at resolution. Fortunately nothing was damaged on the filter base of the motor, but could have turned out pretty bad if I hadnt been extra careful.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Mine stuck good. Tried a few different types of wrenches. Finally resorted to the chisel. My kubota filter actually had notches around the perimeter of the seated end that made it easy to get a chisel or big screw driver to engage at an angle and hit it with a hammer to turn it. Worked great. I don't think I would have got off otherwise... it was ridiculously tight.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I'm doing the 100 hour hydraulic oil change on my L3901. I elected to do the hydraulic oil at this time, vs 50/hr. Drained oil and went to remove starboard side filter and it is bound. Its the one with the magnet. I can't seem to break it and now the filter is becoming dissformed. I know back in the day on cars I have driven a screw driver through a bound filter but I am looking for a better way

I don't have a strap type wrench but used a 'C' type filter tool. Never has a problem before

Any suggestions?

Thx
Why can't you use a regular oil filter wrench, the type with a metal band? if you install it next to the top of the filter, it has less chance of crushing the case.
Our 7.3L Powerstroke runs at 80+ psig oil pressure and it has to be on really tight so it doesn't leak. I have to use the filter wrench to put it on and take it off.

Tennspread

Equipment
L3901
Nov 29, 2016
Tennessee
Thanks all for the tips. Wound up getting a pipe wrench on it and got it off. No reason to ham fist it on like it was.

Grease her up tomorrow and be ready for srping

TS

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
I showed my son how to wrap a length of #40 chain around the filter and use large vise grips to clamp the chain together really close the filter. He just pulled on the vise grips after he got it start gripping and it came right off hie L3940. He since bought a HF channel lock style oil filter wrench, it works great on every filter except the transmission filter on his Case IH Maxxum, the filter is too big.

greglwood

Equipment
SLV75, MX5100, B7800, RTV1140
Jun 5, 2017
Columbia TN
I've had this issue with an RTV, two tractors and and SVL all of which are Kubota. I own all the wrenches and yet have still had to do the screw driver thing. Then one day I was trying to remove one off my track loader and was just about to drive a screwdriver through it when it hit me. Wait for it. Wait for it. I then loosened the coupling on the hydraulic line going to the filter holder and as soon as the pressure was released I could unscrew the filter by hand.

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have had luck with a large pair of channel lock pliers big ones handles maybe 16 to 20 inches long. I found the key was to grab it close as possible to end where it attaches so as not to twist the filter and distort it.

Good to see you won.

Have a great Friday guys and gals.

jay

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The secret is to oil the gasket and only install it hand tight. (3/4 turn)

Relieving the pressure same as removing/disconnecting hydraulic hoses.

smittydog27

Equipment
L3901DT, MX5200DT, Case 450, 1450 dozers, Case 530 const. king backhoe/loader
Dec 11, 2018
Huntington
Next time....try this.
Take a utility knife and 'separate' the filter gasket from metal tractor base. Not to destroy it, but to break loose the seal (bonded) it has with the tractor. Then use filter wrench of choice (I use channel lock filter wrench)