Hydraulic oil/engine oil change Confirmation

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
I am a first-time tractor owner. My L3901 DT will be delivered later today. I want to do the maintenance by the book. Just making sure I am 100% correct. For my tractor, the fluid changes include: Hydraulic fluid, 1 Hydraulic filter, Engine oil, and 1 engine oil filter?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This is not a “snotty” response.... it is the best advice you will ever get,.... I promise.

Read your Owner’s Manual. Get a WSM (WorkShop Manual). I presume those are ”by the book” you meant. Follow them exactly. Each different model of tractor will likely have different factory recommendations... and this question you have posed in this forum will be read by owners of all different models tractors with different requirements. Only YOUR Owner’s Manual and YOUR WSM will be correct For YOUR tractor.

Enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
This is not a “snotty” response.... it is the best advice you will ever get,.... I promise.

Read your Owner’s Manual. Get a WSM (WorkShop Manual). I presume those are ”by the book” you meant. Follow them exactly. Each different model of tractor will likely have different factory recommendations... and this question you have posed in this forum will be read by owners of all different models tractors with different requirements. Only YOUR Owner’s Manual and YOUR WSM will be correct For YOUR tractor.

Enjoy.
I was under the impression most of the L series service details were similar

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Similar does not mean same. My L2501 is an HST model and therefore has a filter for the transmission as well as one for the hydraulics as a whole. My engine oil change is recommended at fifty hours. My manual recommends changing both hydraulic filters at the same time. I've found a lot of helpful Kubota info here: https://diymyway.net/

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
The service specs on the L series are pretty similar.
The key piece of advice on any HST transmission tractor is to absolutely change the HST filter (not the fluid) at 50 hours. This is when you get to discover (depending on your model) how difficult the original HST filter is to remove. See other threads on this.
On my L6060 it is difficult to access the HST filter next to the side frame and near 3rd function hoses.
The second key advice is to change the motor oil and engine oil filter at 50 hours as well, regardless (IMO) of the manual's suggestion of a longer first interval. Even in pretty spotless manufacturing conditions, the internal parts are sometimes contaminated. This first engine oil change is cheap insurance, and responds to the initial effects of break-in and metal particles.
As an example, it is considered critical to change the drive gear oil on Kubota mini excavators at 50 hours with fresh gear oil.
Another piece of advice as your tractor ages, consider sending an engine oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Also cheap insurance and early warning system.
Enjoy your new Kubota.

Reactions: 1 user

Patt Swilling

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Mar 11, 2021
Cabot, AR
The service specs on the L series are pretty similar.
The key piece of advice on any HST transmission tractor is to absolutely change the HST filter (not the fluid) at 50 hours. This is when you get to discover (depending on your model) how difficult the original HST filter is to remove. See other threads on this.
On my L6060 it is difficult to access the HST filter next to the side frame and near 3rd function hoses.
The second key advice is to change the motor oil and engine oil filter at 50 hours as well, regardless (IMO) of the manual's suggestion of a longer first interval. Even in pretty spotless manufacturing conditions, the internal parts are sometimes contaminated. This first engine oil change is cheap insurance, and responds to the initial effects of break-in and metal particles.
As an example, it is considered critical to change the drive gear oil on Kubota mini excavators at 50 hours with fresh gear oil.
Another piece of advice as your tractor ages, consider sending an engine oil sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Also cheap insurance and early warning system.
Enjoy your new Kubota.
Thanks for the info!

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Engine Oil - Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40 is a really good oil....
Oil Filter - A Wix 51515 fits, and is longer...
Kubota HH164-32430 is 3 1/2 inches long, a Wix 51515 is nearly 5...

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I am a first-time tractor owner. My L3901 DT will be delivered later today. I want to do the maintenance by the book. Just making sure I am 100% correct. For my tractor, the fluid changes include: Hydraulic fluid, 1 Hydraulic filter, Engine oil, and 1 engine oil filter?
Whatever you do, do not use any "it will screw right on filters" on your new toy, errr tractor. Few are built as well nor contain the amount of and quality of filter media.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Add to that clean or replace your air filter element much more often than you change your oil. I keep two on hand, swap them out every 25 hours, then clean and box up the old one for the next change out.

Reactions: 1 users

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota

Enjoy.
Best advise I’ve seen posted. I would only add, do yourself a favor, go with only OEM Kubota products and you will have one less thing to be concerned with. No wondering if anything that might go wrong was caused by using an inferior product. The cost difference means nothing compared to the consequence.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d say Kubota filters, engine oil as per your owner’s manual and Kubota fluids for Hst.

General maintenance is not difficult if you follow Owners Manual and Work SHop Manual (WSM).

I have L3901 WSM in pdf, send me a private message with your email and I will share it.