Hydraulic Oil Dye

3GoatHill

Equipment
L4400
Sep 8, 2014
Bath, PA
Has anybody else used hydraulic oil dye so you can more easily see the fluid in the check window? I haven't seen Kubota brand oil, but I did find John Deere oil, part number MT3668. Think it's ok to use it, or will it make my tractor get sick and turn green?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Has anybody else used hydraulic oil dye so you can more easily see the fluid in the check window? I haven't seen Kubota brand oil, but I did find John Deere oil, part number MT3668. Think it's ok to use it, or will it make my tractor get sick and turn green?

any dye will work...as long as it is used according to WHAT it is used for.
SO the JD dye would work fine in a clear based oil, I cannot imagine the dye having any properties that would affect the oil itself.

You would think - that big K would come up with a system that makes their UDT/ SUDT-2 oils have a color so that it can be more easily seen.

Here is some red if you need red.....dayum....most have gold flakes in it!:p

https://www.rrproducts.com/Hydraulic-Oil-Dye-~-16-oz-product23321

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One reason I switched to Chevron THC Synthetic all Weather. It's already orange colored, Kubota SUDT-UDT compatible.

Not sure about JD Hi Trans compatibality.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
One reason I switched to Chevron THC Synthetic all Weather. It's already orange colored, Kubota SUDT-UDT compatible.

Not sure about JD Hi Trans compatibality.
How do you like that fluid? Where do you buy it? I'm not seeing it online.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How do you like that fluid? Where do you buy it? I'm not seeing it online.
Remember .....just cause it says on the outside it is Kubota compatible.....THAT statement from that company is just that ....a statement. ;):)

Be careful what you place in that HST ....... bad things can happen if that sentence is not true - and often it is not 100% true.;)

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
SO the JD dye would work fine in a clear based oil, I cannot imagine the dye having any properties that would affect the oil itself.

You would think - that big K would come up with a system that makes their UDT/ SUDT-2 oils have a color so that it can be more easily seen.

This dye is phosphorescent to help locate leaks. It might glow under a certain light. At $98.00 a pint, I'm going with gold flakes.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc

This dye is phosphorescent to help locate leaks. It might glow under a certain light. At $98.00 a pint, I'm going with gold flakes.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Here***8217;s a thought. If you know ur oil level once except for engine oil level it can***8217;t change unless it leaks. If u have no leaks ur oil level does not need to be checked. For example. Ur truck rear end. If it don***8217;t leak it can***8217;t go low.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Remember .....just cause it says on the outside it is Kubota compatible.....THAT statement from that company is just that ....a statement. ;):)

Be careful what you place in that HST ....... bad things can happen if that sentence is not true - and often it is not 100% true.;)
In as much as I've used Chevron THC synthetic since the initial change years ago in both my expensive M's (125 grand for both) and Chevron not only states it's compatible but exceeds the Kubota lubrication standard and I use them both very hard, I think I'm safe with it. In fact I know I am. I do a spectroscopic analysis on the oil at change time and Blackstone tells me it's just 'peachy'.

Far as purchasing it, I get mine from the local Chevron Jobber. I've seen it online but ship cost is prohibitive. I buy it in 5 gallon plastic pails when it's change time.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Well what I've seen with aftermarket fluid is not so much metal to metal breakdowns, but leaky seals, hardened seals, hardened o-rings, which then either lets foreign stuff in or lets oil out, or both in some cases. The ones that stick out are the front propeller shaft seals on some of the L series tractors. The shaft runs from the back of the transmission through the bellhousing. In the bellhousing there's one or two seals, a pair of rubber lined seal collars and a support bearing. Seen plenty of them where the collars rubber linings will swell, the collars will move on the shaft, the seals won't seal anymore, then oil leaks out of the weep hole on the bottom. The fix? Split tractor replace collars, seals, usually the bearing. About $1500. I asked what causes this and other issues that really don't have an explanation, and a japanese engineer told a translator that not using the proper fluid and/or lack of maintenance (changing fluids per the WSM) are the #1 causes. One can take that however they please. Matters not to me, I could use the work.

Reactions: 1 user