Hydraulic leak through breather

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
Recently purchased an L2850DT. It has less than 1600 hours. I used the front end loader some (no real heavy loads) and the 3-point hitch quite a bit. There had been no leaks until last week. Then I noticed a significant amount of hydraulic oil at the back of the tractor (below the seat).

I checked and found the breather tube was badly deteriorated. I did not know what it was but it was obviously in need of replacement. When I operated any hydraulic, the fluid squirted from the place where the tube had been attached.

Took what was left of the tube to a dealer and ordered a replacement. Today I installed it. I ran the bucket and the 3-point hitch a little and saw no new fluid. I left the tractor for a few minutes and when I returned there was a small amount of fluid coming out of the new breather tube.

I am not a mechanic for any type of engine, least of all a diesel engine. I cannot find a dipstick for the hydraulic fluid. Is there one?

What is the likely cause of the leak?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My L 3000 did that. I replaced the breather tube with a piece of fuel line and run it down under the floor. If it blows anything out now it either lubes the underside of the tractor or hits the ground.

Leak is normally just vapor.

If it had a dip stick it most likely will be on the back next to the pto. It may just simply have a site glass on the side of the tranny. Look left side about mid case rear of the clutch pedal.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Checking fluid level would be first thing.
May be worth finding manuals for your machine.
I cant direct you, perhaps someone will chime in.

My little L1501 was dumping oil from the shifter when it got hot, my vent was plugged. Cleared it and hasnt leaked a drop since.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First check level of fluid.
Second if it keeps doing it (significantly), it's most likely foaming the fluid.
Foaming is caused by water in the fluid or air being sucked in before the pump, look for seeping leaks on the suction side (large line with clamped rubber hoses) of the hydraulic system. ;)

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
Thanks for the three replies received.

The fluid leaking sure looks like oil and does not seem to be foaming at all.

After Bulldog mentioned the site glass, I remembered having seen reference to that elsewhere. I recall looking at it and finding it difficult to see the level of the oil. I'll look again today.

I do have a manual which covers about six variations of the L series.

I hope to attach a bottle to catch the fluid so I can see just how much I am losing.

I will report back later today or tomorrow.

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
First of all I checked for the site glass for the hydraulic fluid. I found it but cannot determine a level as the glass is all yellowed to the point of being opaque. Is there another way to check the fluid level?

Next I attached a hose to the breather hose and ran it to a clear, plastic, 12 oz bottle. Then I ran the tractor (without using any of the hydraulics) for 10 minutes. I just drove around at about 1500 to 1700 RPM. When I got off the tractor there was no sign of leakage. I did not expect any but wanted to be sure the problem was only when using the 3-point hitch or the FEL.

Then I started to hook up the bush hog. Right away I saw an ounce or two of fluid in the bottle. Within five minutes the bottle was overflowing. I would say at least 2/3 is liquid and the top 1/3 is foam. Ten minutes later there was only a small amount of foam at the top. The rest of the bottle contained the fluid.

This is definitely not vapor and is more than foam.

North Idaho Wolfman: If "Foaming is caused by water in the fluid or air being sucked in before the pump, look for seeping leaks on the suction side (large line with clamped rubber hoses) of the hydraulic system" why would it come on so sudden with no visible (to me) leaks? I cannot determine the line you are speaking of. Should I check each of the many hose connectors for looseness? Or where would water enter the system?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you're working on your hydraulic system, you can replace the sight glass for about $8.50. Take a screwdriver and pry it out, put some silicone on the now one and push it in. A five minute job, and you can see your oil level.

luketratts

Equipment
L2600DT FEL
Jul 26, 2016
Gold Coast, Australia
I have a L2600 and mine does the same thing. I have a breather hose above the pto and one near the gear stick between my legs. Not sure if these two breathers are actually joined to the same tank (trying to track down a WSM to work these things out). Anyways mine was leaking a fair bit out the breather above the pto, my FEL is an aftermarket job and the hydraulic return line is attached to the tank at this point, this is not designed for this. It's leaks because a lot of oil pumps back into the tank at this point and it sometimes sprays up into the breather and then leaks out?

Does your return line attach to this filler/breather cap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You mentioned foam, the fluid below the foam in the bottle, does it look like oil or is it milky looking?
If it looks like oil, then its drawing air somewhere in the suction /return side of the hydraulics. It will let air in and likely wont pass any oil. It takes a microscopic hole to leak air into system.

If oil appears milky, then water is finding its way into the hydraulics.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Your site glass may not be yellow, it may be way overfull of fluid. The background is bright white and when fluid is in the glass it's very hard to tell if completely full. Park it on different angles to see if you can see a difference in the glass.

Derby, does your tractor have a fill port on top of the tranny?

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
When you're working on your hydraulic system, you can replace the sight glass for about $8.50. Take a screwdriver and pry it out, put some silicone on the now one and push it in. A five minute job, and you can see your oil level.
I ordered a new site glass today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
I will look at the tractor in the morning to answer questions asked in posts 8, 9, & 10.

Thanks so much for the responses - all of you.

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
I have a L2600 and mine does the same thing. I have a breather hose above the pto and one near the gear stick between my legs. Not sure if these two breathers are actually joined to the same tank (trying to track down a WSM to work these things out). Anyways mine was leaking a fair bit out the breather above the pto, my FEL is an aftermarket job and the hydraulic return line is attached to the tank at this point, this is not designed for this. It's leaks because a lot of oil pumps back into the tank at this point and it sometimes sprays up into the breather and then leaks out?

Does your return line attach to this filler/breather cap?
I only find one breather hose. It is located on top of what I believe to be the hydraulic fluid tank. This tank appears to be filled by removing a red cap just above the PTO. The tank (and breather hose) are located below the seat.

When I had the deteriorated hose off and ran the 3-point hitch (with the seat tilted back) the fluid squirted up like a fountain - 3 - 4 inches above the tank.

I don't know what or where the return line is.

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
You mentioned foam, the fluid below the foam in the bottle, does it look like oil or is it milky looking?
If it looks like oil, then its drawing air somewhere in the suction /return side of the hydraulics. It will let air in and likely wont pass any oil. It takes a microscopic hole to leak air into system.

If oil appears milky, then water is finding its way into the hydraulics.
When I checked the bottle this morning, there was no foam at all - it was just filled full with liquid. It does not look milky. It looks like an oil but the color was more like split pea soup. It seemed more yellow when it was squirting out. I don't know what clean hydraulic oil looks like.

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
Your site glass may not be yellow, it may be way overfull of fluid. The background is bright white and when fluid is in the glass it's very hard to tell if completely full. Park it on different angles to see if you can see a difference in the glass.

Derby, does your tractor have a fill port on top of the tranny?
My bit of land is very flat. When I can I'll take it to the ditches and see if I can get the different angles and look again.

Yes, there is a fill port on the top of the tranny. The cap on it simply says "oil". I believe the engine oil is filled from the top of the engine. I found the cap for that. There is no dipstick there nor have I found one anywhere for the engine oil.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine oil dip stick is on the left side.

It sounds like:
#1 Get the WSM and OPS manuals.
#2 You need to do a full filter / fluid change on it.
#3 Check for suction leaks on the hydraulic system.

Hydraulic fluid that gets air mixed in it will foam then after sitting will return back to a non foam state.
Hydraulic fluid that has water in it will turn milky and slimy yellow.
Sounds like you have both going on!

Attachments

Last edited:

Derby

Equipment
L2850DT
Jul 28, 2016
Fowler, IN
Your site glass may not be yellow, it may be way overfull of fluid. The background is bright white and when fluid is in the glass it's very hard to tell if completely full. Park it on different angles to see if you can see a difference in the glass.?
I put the front wheels in a ditch and checked the glass site, then I put the rear wheels in the ditch and checked the glass site again. Neither time could I see any difference from when the tractor was on the level. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I put the front wheels in a ditch and checked the glass site, then I put the rear wheels in the ditch and checked the glass site again. Neither time could I see any difference from when the tractor was on the level. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Since the sight glass is on the side of the housing - try making the left side high, then the right, not front/back as you did.

Just a suggestion......

Best of luck figuring it out!:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You're going to replace the sight glass anyway, just pop it out the a screwdriver. If fluid comes out it was too full. If no fluid comes out it wasn't full!