Hydraulic leak on GR2120 transmission

Low Lander

Equipment
1980 B6100 4WD, 2005 TG1860 mower and 2020 1025R JD w/FEL & BH, 2016 GR2120
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Mines dripping a little puddle of fluid parked on shop floor. I checked dipstick and none touching. I guess it was leaking out while I was mowing. I started it up, sprayed it with brake cleaner and scrubbed it with a tooth brush. Then dried it with Scott paper shop towels. Nothing obviously pouring out so I replaced the tranny filter with 75 new hours on it and cleaned the strainer screen.

Okay I topped it off with new trans hydraulic fluid. I mowed about 2 hours checking it twice. By the time I got back to the shop it was empty again. Fluid covers everything down both sides and across the bottom casting. I replaced one hose clamp, rerouted two hoses to train them better then added new tie wraps to hold them in place to avoid wear.

Has any GR2120 glide steer owners in here experienced this problem? I’m thinking of adding infrared dye to maybe spot the leak. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Did I not post properly or did just no one reply? 🤷‍♂️
Not speaking for everyone, this is more a tractor forum. There are some techs here that may have some ideas where your leak may be coming from. I’ll tag them.
@North Idaho Wolfman @lugbolt @whitetiger There are more, but these are the 3 I know are very knowledgeable over the whole orange line.

Low Lander

Equipment
1980 B6100 4WD, 2005 TG1860 mower and 2020 1025R JD w/FEL & BH, 2016 GR2120
Jul 10, 2022
NE Oklahoma
Not speaking for everyone, this is more a tractor forum. There are some techs here that may have some ideas where your leak may be coming from. I’ll tag them.
@North Idaho Wolfman @lugbolt @whitetiger There are more, but these are the 3 I know are very knowledgeable over the whole orange line.
Hmmm, so orange compacts, lawn mowers, ZTR’s don’t get to participate? For a guy who owns 3 Kubotas seems kind of exclusive. Thanks for the reply. I won’t bother the orange tractor owners again.

🤔
IMG_1821.jpeg

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Hmmm, so orange compacts, lawn mowers, ZTR’s don’t get to participate? For a guy who owns 3 Kubotas seems kind of exclusive. Thanks for the reply. I won’t bother the orange tractor owners again.

🤔
View attachment 131385
Not how I meant it. Sure, there are all types of orange here, just seems to me, it is primarily tractors.

TJP440

Equipment
Gr2120 and B3200
Apr 16, 2017
Omaha, Ne
Sorry for the delayed response but i don't get a lot of free time. Our GR2120 began loosing fluid and the issue was a poorly placed/routed breather that had fallen and consequently was dispensing hydro fluid. It is located in the LR upper corner. remove the rear cover and it's easy to find. With the cooling fan below it it can spread the fluid everywhere. Good time to clean all the clippings etc. off the housing. Do be aware that overfilling can lead to "burping" when hot.
Manual says the level should be checked with the deck up or down? Can't remember which :(
Filling in the wrong position may cause the issue as well . 🍻

i also covered some hoses that were rubbing on things and zip tied others ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

🤔
View attachment 131385
No need to have an attitude.
Posts sometimes just get over looked by the right person.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Did I not post properly or did just no one reply? 🤷‍♂️
no, you posted in teh right place. A lot of us techs that dealt with GR series mowers despised them (myself included) and generally avoid them at ALL costs including forum suggestions. My best suggestion? Sell it!! :D

could be anything leaking. That transmission is a poor design, not known for longevity. There are many points that can leak. Axle bushings/seals, glide steer lever seals, pto clutch seal, vent, etc

I have worked on more than a few that have "vented' fluid out of them and the only "known" reason was due to the design of the vent itself. Basically the transmission has two halves, front and rear. If you have had one apart you will see what I mean. There is no gasket between them so they used "liquid gasket" (as Kubota calls it....aka silicone). The case assembly has to vent to atmosphere so that hot fluid can expand. The case halves have a channel cut into them which is the vent. The bad part about this design is that there is VERY small space for the sealant to go and it's really, really easy to get a little excess sealant into that channel which will cause the trans to vent fluid. It's nearly impossible not to get sealant in the channel actually. You have to use just the right piece of string in the channel and assemble it normally with sealant, then pull the string out-and hope it comes out, as the channel is not straight-not at all.

If "I" had it in front of me (and thank goodness I don't), I'd clean it all off real good and inspect the source of the fluid leak. HOPEFULLY it's a pto shaft seal or something easy, because if it's venting or if it's a axle seal, you're gonna be doing a total transmission overhaul to fix it, IF it fixes it. I've had a couple that could not be fixed and had to be replaced, and at the time they were $3800, so probably $6000 now based on the constant price increases.

don't fill the trans to the "full" mark. Fill it to the low mark and no more. That helps keep them from venting; although not foolproof. The two lines are not low and full they are full cold and full hot, that info right from an enginerd at kubota.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
don't fill the trans to the "full" mark. Fill it to the low mark and no more. That helps keep them from venting; although not foolproof. The two lines are not low and full they are full cold and full hot, that info right from an enginerd at kubota.
I did not know this. Thank you. I am contemplating redoing the transmission on my GR2100 for the fourth time. My wife calls it my zipper mower because of how quickly I can take it apart. It was fine for a while but has started leaking again. I am off next week. I plan to take the body shell off, clean it up well. fill er' up, and run it to see where the leak is coming from. I had a tough timing getting the PTO in so I am hoping that it the source. I fill it to the top line before mowing and wind up at the bottom line. It is a great little mower when it is not apart in my garage. :rolleyes:

My first leak turned out to be the drain hose from the control valve to the top of the transmission. It had gotten brittle. That was an easy fix. I posted a picture once but can't find it. The WSM shows the location.

EDIT--found the pic. The hose is part 10 in the photo.
1719267125354.png

I hope it is a simple one for you.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I did not know this. Thank you. I am contemplating redoing the transmission on my GR2100 for the fourth time. My wife calls it my zipper mower because of how quickly I can take it apart. It was fine for a while but has started leaking again. I am off next week. I plan to take the body shell off, clean it up well. fill er' up, and run it to see where the leak is coming from. I had a tough timing getting the PTO in so I am hoping that it the source. I fill it to the top line before mowing and wind up at the bottom line. It is a great little mower when it is not apart in my garage. :rolleyes:

My first leak turned out to be the drain hose from the control valve to the top of the transmission. It had gotten brittle. That was an easy fix. I posted a picture once but can't find it. The WSM shows the location.

EDIT--found the pic. The hose is part 10 in the photo.
View attachment 131420
I hope it is a simple one for you.
if you had the pto clutch out and didn't have the tool to line everything up correctly, there's good possibility that the case was cracked during installation. I've done it, a couple times, and it's pretty easy to do. Leaks every time.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
if you had the pto clutch out and didn't have the tool to line everything up correctly, there's good possibility that the case was cracked during installation. I've done it, a couple times, and it's pretty easy to do. Leaks every time.
I did have the tool. Whether I used it properly, we'll see...

First objective to to figure out where the leak is coming from. It may be a winter job. Right now I am using the mower every week. I just check the oil before each use. I add about 4-6 oz every other use. I have the bagger for this machine. It does a very nice job on the bermuda lawn around the house.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Leaks... Fluid 99.99% of the time utilizes gravity. So a 'fresh leak' starts at the leak and goes down. If left unchecked and perhaps has air blown at it, it can migrate up.
So... A method to find them is top off fluids. Completely clean the area. Run for a little while, sprinkle baby powder in the suspected area and lightly blow off with compressed air. Nothing? Run it longer and repeat.

Reactions: 1 user