Hydraulic hose size questions.

jay87t

Equipment
B6000
Aug 4, 2013
Niagara Falls
Hi guys, I had to replace a hose on my front loader on my B6000, its a homemade loader but its constructed very well. I bought the unit with the loader on it. my question is, the hose I replaced was a hydraulic cylinder hose and it is ,3/8 comes from a metal line to the hose then cylinder . now the hoses from my hydraulic controller are much smaller in diameter. I would say they are 1/4 hose size. question is, would that diminish the performance of the hydraulics if you are going from 1/4 to 3/8? I know the 2 hoses from the hydraulic pump are 3/8. but the 4 from the control valve that are going to the tubes are 1/4.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If you can, go with larger inside diameter hose(s) if you can.

Hydraulics work on pressure, which a tiny hose will transmit to the working end (bucket, boom) just fine. However, the speed with which the working device will move or function is completely dependent on how much fluid can be moved and how fast--so you want the largest ID hose you can fit, within reason.

When I have the room to do so I tend to upgrade hoses one size when replacing. This doesn't work well when inside or under the valvel control bank. And I don't like splicing hoses. But increasing the hose ID should work when jumping from a tube to a cylinder fitting. Be cautious the hose can pass SAFELY WITHOUT PINCHING OR CRUSHING through any slots or holes. May also need to re-jigger any clamps holding the hose in place.

Also mentioned is the [possibly] OEM hoses that look smaller. Older 'two-wire' hoses tend to look a bit smaller than current 'four-wire' hoses. And older hoses of any construction may swell slightly with age. And some Kubota OEM hoses had a fuzzy outer shell that can cause the hose OD to look larger than it is.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we can all learn.