Hydraulic Guru's......question for you please.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have a L2350DT with a front loader.

I would love to have a small front mounted Hydraulic winch for my tractor. Something along these lines:

My question is:

Could I use some type of 'diverter' to supply the winch with the hydraulics used for the front loader and thus use the spool valve to operate the winch (in and out)?

The object being able to use the front loader (not at the same time as the winch), switch the diverter and then operate the winch as needed.

I'm not well versed on hydraulics so any ideas would be welcome. I don't know the pressure or GPM requirements of the winch versus what my tractor output is, so it might not even be possible.

Thank you in advance.

Flint.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a L2350DT with a front loader.

I would love to have a small front mounted Hydraulic winch for my tractor. Something along these lines:

My question is:

Could I use some type of 'diverter' to supply the winch with the hydraulics used for the front loader and thus use the spool valve to operate the winch (in and out)?

The object being able to use the front loader (not at the same time as the winch), switch the diverter and then operate the winch as needed.

I'm not well versed on hydraulics so any ideas would be welcome. I don't know the pressure or GPM requirements of the winch versus what my tractor output is, so it might not even be possible.

Thank you in advance.

Flint.
Your tractor has a 7 GPM implement pump which may be a little low for a winch. Most of the winches I found wanted flow betwenn 5 and 15 GPM. It will work but your line speed may be kind of slow - e.g. 20 ft/min as opposed to 40. All depends on how large the motor on the winch is. The gear ratio is 32:1 so they are probably using a small motor at a higher RPM.

For a power source a diverter valve would work but I fail to see any advantage to it. Its just as simple and probably less expensive to mount a single spool valve next to the loader valve and plumb it into the loader lines. You don't have to keep switching back and forth and you have a real third function. Guesstimate that at $250-$300.

Dan

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Your tractor has a 7 GPM implement pump which may be a little low for a winch. Most of the winches I found wanted flow betwenn 5 and 15 GPM. It will work but your line speed may be kind of slow - e.g. 20 ft/min as opposed to 40. All depends on how large the motor on the winch is. The gear ratio is 32:1 so they are probably using a small motor at a higher RPM.

For a power source a diverter valve would work but I fail to see any advantage to it. Its just as simple and probably less expensive to mount a single spool valve next to the loader valve and plumb it into the loader lines. You don't have to keep switching back and forth and you have a real third function. Guesstimate that at $250-$300.

Dan

Yeah. apparently this winch wants about 15 gpm (by design) to operate at full capacity (speed).

I'll need to look in my repair manual and check the pump flow rate for my tractor, but online sources say between 4.4 and 7 gpm. Either way....would make for a sluggish retrieve of cable. Dang it..........!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yeah. apparently this winch wants about 15 gpm (by design) to operate at full capacity (speed).

I'll need to look in my repair manual and check the pump flow rate for my tractor, but online sources say between 4.4 and 7 gpm. Either way....would make for a sluggish retrieve of cable. Dang it..........!
I looked it up before I posted. The DT flow is 7 GPM and 2WD is 4.4.

Dan

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I looked it up before I posted. The DT flow is 7 GPM and 2WD is 4.4.

Dan

Thank you Sir. Appreciate the information.

Looks like I'd do better to stay with an electric winch and install a second battery parallel or isolated. The issue there would be upgrading the charging system I suppose.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A good chance is that your present alternator is sufficient to keep the battery charged unless you are going to be winching a lot without a break in between. You might have to purchase a better battery with more CCAs to feed the winch. If you find that your alternator can't handle the draw, then consider adding a second battery to the system and using a battery selector switch to connect the 2 batteries to the tractor and upgrade the alternator.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
A good chance is that your present alternator is sufficient to keep the battery charged unless you are going to be winching a lot without a break in between. You might have to purchase a better battery with more CCAs to feed the winch. If you find that your alternator can't handle the draw, then consider adding a second battery to the system and using a battery selector switch to connect the 2 batteries to the tractor and upgrade the alternator.
No, current alternator would definitely not keep up. My starting battery is rated 650 CCA but that isn't what is important when winching (extended pulls). 'Reserve Capacity' is important.

I have an isolator sitting on a shelf and there is plenty of room up front on the tractor for a second battery. Either a second matching starting type battery, hooked up parallel or I could isolate a deep cycle battery for the winch.

Electric winches are no mystery to me, been using them for 50 years. Hydraulic....I've had no experience with....but doesn't appear to be feasible in my application.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW I suggest going electric
it's cleaner
it's easier
it's cheaper

if you weld a 2" recv 'stub' both front and back you can mount the winch at either end
having a 2nd battery, isolated but rigged for starting/running is a good idea. if 2 batteries in parallel, buy 2 new ones, same mfr/make/mdl/batch for longest life.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
@Flintknapper, just curious - where did you plan on mounting the winch? Like on the top of the bucket? I've thought about that - seems like a good place.
No....definitely not bucket mounted or anywhere else on the FEL. You don't want to be putting undue stress on these items. It would be frame mounted and kept as low as possible. For my purposes....the winch would be used for self recovery and/or skidding heavy objects around.

Also a good idea to incorporate a 'cut off' switch. While I've never personally experienced a 'run-away' winch, I was present when another person's winch did!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you plan to use a winch to it’s fullest capacity…do not mount in on the FEL because it will transfer a lot of load onto the loader which is already stressing hyds. MOunt it on the Frame….similar places one would mount weights.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
If you plan to use a winch to it’s fullest capacity…do not mount in on the FEL because it will transfer a lot of load onto the loader which is already stressing hyds. MOunt it on the Frame….similar places one would mount weights.
Thanks guys! I wondered about that - seems obvious now not a good idea!