Hydraulic filter unseats in cold weather

oldaggie

Equipment
L3010HST
Mar 3, 2014
Stillwater
This is a 1999 Kubota L3010HST tractor. When the temp drops below 10 degrees F, the hydraulic filter seal blows and I lose all my fluid. The manual specifies ISO 68 and/or ISO 46 fluid. Would ISO 32 help or would it ruin the hydraulics? Would a magnetic engine block heater help?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I doubt that the fluid viscosity has much to do with the seal failing.

I understand it that your filter is a spin on type and that the gasket between the filter and the tractor fails. Then the fluid is blown out or leaks out since the filter is below fluid level.

It seams that you may need to investigate how tight the filter needs to be, ensure that the filter mount is threaded properly/not damaged so the filter screws up correctly.

Hey are you a Texas A&M Aggie in Stillwater or does OK have their own version of aggies?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Okla State Univ (OSU) was originally Okla A&M just like in that other state to the south.

But back to filters:

Check the obvious...

+Confirm filter has only ONE gasket in place.
+One gasket oil-wetted not dry when installed.
+Let machine warm up before operating---warms hyd oil (machine in neutral, clutch 'out' not locked down). 10*F might wish at least 15-min medium idle warm up period, longer better.
+Filter tightness when installed---1.5-turns past hand-seating is what I use.

Then think about pressure relief valve setting and what might have transpired to change it.

Which leads to possibility of water in system trapped by filter and / or affecting relief valve. How long since last change? Are the one/two breather goosenecks present or missing allowing moisture entry?

Is the leak actually the filter itself or might it be the mount or a pipe or hose leading to the mount?

You mention hydraulic oils by ISO but don't say if you're using Kubota SUDT(2) or what.

I'll here start an argument (please be gentle fellow forum members) by saying not all oils are equal and HSTs can be pretty sensitive to their fluids. It could be--could be--your oil is somehow interacting with the filter gasket. Low probability, but possible, depending on what your oil actually is and what its intended application is---and for that matter depending on the filter [gasket] brand itself. If you can't otherwise find a solution consider trying premium Kubota fluid and filter, even at the additional expense.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

kevink27

Nov 10, 2013
York, PA
Man that would suck, I'd tend to believe it would be something like the above poster mentioned. Check the breathers, if they clog up the pressure is going to try to push out somewhere.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Man that would suck, I'd tend to believe it would be something like the above poster mentioned. Check the breathers, if they clog up the pressure is going to try to push out somewhere.
I am with Stubbyie,

I once changed a car ol filter, it leaked, i cussed, then i got back under the car, pulled off filter, cussed more, saw the OLD gasket on the block still, cussed some more.......took old gasket off, then i got to stop cussing and it stopped leaking. The old gasket will cause a mess if any of it is left on the block.:eek: