Hydraulic Breaker

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Folks,

I'm looking for suggestions and experiences with hydraulic breakers for a 3 ton class machine. This would be for a U-27 mini excavator to tackle mostly concrete sidewalks and some asphalt driveways.

I have noticed that some manufacturers are using a built in accumulator instead of the typical nitrogen charge for breakers. That's quite interesting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a couple subs that have breakers and both hate having them on their machines.
They beat the living snot out of every joint in the boom.

I've seen the type of work you do and yea a good Mini Ex breaker would help you, and make it more efficient.

My advice is if you do get one, grease the joints more often to help with the extra wear.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have a couple subs that have breakers and both hate having them on their machines.
They beat the living snot out of every joint in the boom.

I've seen the type of work you do and yea a good Mini Ex breaker would help you, and make it more efficient.

My advice is if you do get one, grease the joints more often to help with the extra wear.
Sean,

I would agree, but having one would save many hours on the jobs. Greasing often- yes, I've heard that they need grease every 2-3 hours.

I've seen one recently (Trojan TH-35) for approx $2,700. This unit came with charging kit, several bits and Skid steer mount. I would have to get some bucket ears and have a mounting plate made up. I just don't know about the quality.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sean,

I would agree, but having one would save many hours on the jobs. Greasing often- yes, I've heard that they need grease every 2-3 hours.

I've seen one recently (Trojan TH-35) for approx $2,700. This unit came with charging kit, several bits and Skid steer mount. I would have to get some bucket ears and have a mounting plate made up. I just don't know about the quality.
Looked them over with reviews, and they look and sound pretty decent.
Do you know what size pins you need?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Looked them over with reviews, and they look and sound pretty decent.
Do you know what size pins you need?
Nope. Since I have a mechanical quick connect on the machine I was thinking I would just have a something welded up. Two bucket ears welded to a plate fastened to the breaker.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope. Since I have a mechanical quick connect on the machine I was thinking I would just have a something welded up. Two bucket ears welded to a plate fastened to the breaker.
Sounds workable!