Hustler 340 snow cat kubota v1200 crank no start

Alex802

Equipment
1978 Kubota L245DT
Nov 5, 2021
East Burke Vermont
Hey all,
I have a hustler 340 with a kubota v1200 or v1205 in it. If I can get it running it will become a small snowcat.
It came with water in the fuel as a crank no start-
New filter, full fuel clean, bled whole system.
verified fuel at injectors
When cranking white/unburnt fuel out the exhaust…
It lacks the sound of every other kubota I have had when cranking- seems too smooth and continuous…
10v at the glow plugs under pre heat
Video of it cranking
Rockers all release the valves- but clearances are not super consistent…
IMG_9524.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You are correct in saying it sounds odd cranking. Sounds like little compression and absolutely zero firing off.

I am assuming this is a diesel engine but please confirm that.

Do you know if it has a decompression knob or anything like that?

Can you get the glow plugs out and check compression? You can use the injector ports but that is usually more trouble.

Have you verified that the injectors are working properly with any spray test? Don’t let injector spray onto your skin, use cardboard and be careful.

Explain more about the history of the vehicle if you can. How long did it sit without running, has it been running recently and how did it run…

Alex802

Equipment
1978 Kubota L245DT
Nov 5, 2021
East Burke Vermont
Russell,
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Yes 100% kubota diesel
I bought it from a fella in pa that bought it from a Harley plant that had used 2 of them to plow their walkways- this one had been tuned up for the 21/2022 winter left to sit that fall and then when they went to use it, it would not start. I got it this past spring - I found water in the fuel filter and the bottom of the tank.
When cranking I get some
Light but consistent white smoke -
My l245dt had a decomp lever - this engine definitely does not.
It only had/has 700 hrs- I would be impressed/bummed if compression was bad…. That is the next test I think.
I can roll the motor by rotating the fan if I give the belt a little extra tension…

I have not verified that the glow plugs are working, or that the injectors are firing properly….

the rockers all break contact with the valves, but the clearance is not consistent across the cylinders

-Alex

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Russell,
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Yes 100% kubota diesel
I bought it from a fella in pa that bought it from a Harley plant that had used 2 of them to plow their walkways- this one had been tuned up for the 21/2022 winter left to sit that fall and then when they went to use it, it would not start. I got it this past spring - I found water in the fuel filter and the bottom of the tank.
When cranking I get some
Light but consistent white smoke -
My l245dt had a decomp lever - this engine definitely does not.
It only had/has 700 hrs- I would be impressed/bummed if compression was bad…. That is the next test I think.
I can roll the motor by rotating the fan if I give the belt a little extra tension…

I have not verified that the glow plugs are working, or that the injectors are firing properly….

the rockers all break contact with the valves, but the clearance is not consistent across the cylinders

-Alex
You need to take the injector apart and clean them.
You need to verify glow plugs are operating.
Compression would be the next step.
Next thing to do would be find out exactly which motor you have, it's stamped right next to the injection pump facing up.