HST out on L5030 or maybe something simple.

tyc

Equipment
L5030HST
Nov 14, 2016
petaluma ca
Not going to bore you with the long story up front, read on if your interested. Short story is I have an L5030 HST that does not move (forward or back). The range lever does not have positive lock and actually seems limp. Indicator on dash does change as it is moved though. Not sure if this info is helpful. Tractor stopped driving shortly after getting it home so I had a mechanic change the fluid and filters (on the list anyway) and it worked for a few feet He says that the HST needs a rebuild and he couldn't tell me how long it might last. He was willing to do this for $4k. He says because you can hear the pump noises when pressing the hst pedal it just needs a rebuild. Within 10' of him saying that it stopped working again. Any options before forking over the 4K? The lever being "floppy" made me think it might be just simple linkage (stuck in neutral) and not need a full rebuild but I am very new to this and have zero experience with HST. The lever disappears into the case so maybe something internal I can get to? Was also thinking that trailering it over to the dealer might be a good idea. The mechanic I hired seemed super knowledgable but he works on all heavy equipment and I am not sure if this could be a Kubota thing. Also I sincerely believe he is a good guy but you never know 100%. Thanks for all your help. I have read through this site with much admiration of your combined knowledge. OK so the long story so you can laugh a little while I cry. I have a small property (2 acres) that used to be covered in chicken coops. Small perimeter foundations were left in the ground. Some under soil line some above. I also have a "bowl" a the end of the property that creates a swamp when its wet. I wanted to remove the old foundations and grade the property. I have used various small equipment before and knew I needed something larger. In fact I needed a couple larger pieces of equipment or a crew to do it. I called a few guys that do excavation work and described the situation best i could. Both wanted to come out but I didn't want to waste their time and asked for a best guess low to high. I wont mention the numbers they threw but I couldn't afford it. I looked in to rentals but knowing how my schedule is I would have had to rent the equipment for a day or two at a time many times over at a huge cost. Here is where everything went sideways. A buddy told me about an auction yard that he had picked up a couple bobcats years ago from and they were great prices. Stupid me I looked in to it. Again I have little knowledge of such things but I am a smart guy. How hard can this be. I'll buy the equipment and resell when I am done. Bought a dozer. Old but ran great. Still does. Hydraulic seals on one rams need replacing is all. The Kubota is another story. When I inspected it it was a bit ugly but started right up and went forward and back no issues. Range lever was floppy but figured maybe a tightening somewhere was all that was needed. (perhaps novices should not buy equipment at auction. lol) Got it on the trailer, off the trailer just fine and then went to pull it forward and nothing. Hmmmm. OK well I had a mechanic I wanted to do a service to both machines anyway. Im sure he will tighten something and all will be good. For the rest of the story see above. If you have read this far I am sorry. I think I just needed to get this off my chest. Good news is I think even with the cost of this repair I can still sell these machines in spring for less of a loss than the rentals would have been. That's my hope anyway. Bigger hope would be to find a simple fix and sell them even money. Hope of keeping the Kubota long term seems out of the question now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I had an L5030 HSTC and it was a great tractor. Personally, I'd get a second opinion from a Kubota dealer and go from there.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the linkage.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Check the shift linkage - maybe it's between gears in neutral inside.

Odds are the issue is not the HST. Of the trouble cases reported here on OTT or over on TBN, almost all turn out to involve parts OTHER than the HST unit. There's a regular dry clutch before it and a 3-speed gearbox after it. If the range lever is floppy it's most likely a gearbox issue. If the clutch is gone, that doesn't involve the HST either.

People tend to be spooked by the HST unit. But it's just a coupling between the engine and the drive system. Rebuilding one is impractical if even possible. The few parts sold separately are very pricey. (whole thing is available new around $4-$5k) The factory WSM usually says replace it if not working right.

Good luck - Dick B

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Range gear shift linkage-or the lever itself-has a problem. Address this first then report back with the findings. I suspect therein lies your issue. The range gear shift lever on the Grand L 30 series does not move easily when working properly-it was actually a complaint by several local guys.

HST failure is easy to identify. Take the hydraulic filter and cut it open. If the HST has failed, you will know right away-TONS of metal in the filter usually. The same can be done with the HST filter (left side of tractor) but the HST filter can actually be disassembled.

No metal filings in the filter or on the magnet, then chances are the HST is fine. It's pretty rare for them to fail anyway. Repairing them is not cheap, and a $4,000 HST repair IS cheap and it might be good to question what components the mechanic is going to "rebuild" at $4,000.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's rare for the HST unit to go out.

HST's wine but that's semi normal!

I would bet you have a bad mechanical clutch, try adjusting that clutch rod.

The floppy range lever sounds bad, but could be simple, have you checked all of the linkage from the lever to the side of the transmission?
You can see the actual fork if you remove the three point control.

I also have a copy of the WSM (Work Shop Manual) if you want that, just ask and I'll PM you a link to download it.

tyc

Equipment
L5030HST
Nov 14, 2016
petaluma ca
Thank you guys. I guess my first step is to follow the linkage as far as I can and I will report back. If I can not see anything obvious I'll load it up and take it to the dealer. New optimism thanks to your feedback. Really appreciate it. Oh and thanks for not laughing at me. Out loud at least.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Thank you guys. I guess my first step is to follow the linkage as far as I can and I will report back. If I can not see anything obvious I'll load it up and take it to the dealer. New optimism thanks to your feedback. Really appreciate it. Oh and thanks for not laughing at me. Out loud at least.
A quick test to see if the clutch is working is to engage the pto - does it turn? Does it turn even if you hold a piece of wood against trying to slow it down? Any noises when you do that?

The range shift linkage below the left side of the seat platform can get stuck, bent, broken etc. Sensor part 10 looks like it controls the light? Check that the shaft going into the housing is actually turning.

As always, prompt cheerful refund if info is bogus. Take care, Dick B.

Last edited:

tyc

Equipment
L5030HST
Nov 14, 2016
petaluma ca
I had a brief moment to run out and take a closer look at the linkage. It tuns all the way to the case. Still no significant resistence. While I was there I started it up and without changing anything she moves. Moves well. Dropped the box and had tire spin on both sides with no slip. Guessing its not the clutch or HST at this point. It was getting dark and I didnt want to mess with too much so I left the gear lever in high. Thinking I should take it while its still working to the dealer. At least it will be much easier to load this way. : ) Thanks for all your feedback!!! Ill keep the thread alive when I get feedback.

tyc

Equipment
L5030HST
Nov 14, 2016
petaluma ca
Delay in reporting back due to advanced case of ignoritum projectus. I am better. Thanks. Despite the previous enthusiasm I tried the next day and nothing. Fast forward to this weekend. Was able to remove the seat and inspection cover. The gear selection fork was out of place. Moved it back in to place and the shift lever was able to select gear accordingly. Put it all back together and rode it around for a while. Longer than I had since this had started and it worked flawlessly until I ran it in to a swamp. Perhaps a subject for another thread. LOL Guess the mechanic JA I had look at it didn't want to get even an hour in to it without just telling me it would be $8K to fix it. I never blast people online but honestly this is irritating and I have a right mind to. Trusting a professional is something I will do with a bit more care in the future. Thanks to all of you for your advise!!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
tyc, good to have here on the forum and glad some guys gave you some ideas of problems.

My brain doesn't function well without paragraph breaks when thoughts change. I look at all those words jumbled together and just pass. Those guys are more studious then me! Good luck finding a simple solution.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Glad it turned out well. Now that I'm retired I don't mind reading a long post - they tell a good story of how your situation developed. What I got from yours was: (1) you bought the tractor as a heavy-enough tool to do land work, not because you always wanted one. (2) you may have thought a Kubota was worth betting on, (3) you were not hoping to become a tractor mechanic (4) it sure is a PITA when somebody claiming to be one quotes a big repair price without knowing anything about the machine.

So what's the rest of the swamp story? Take care, Dick B

tyc

Equipment
L5030HST
Nov 14, 2016
petaluma ca
Thanks rbargeron.

your analysis is spot on.

1) Yep, that's what I keep telling the wife.
2) Always bet on orange?
3) Amen
4) Amen again

Swamp story short. Was so excited to trade a huge mechanics bill for a running tractor I forgot we have had almost 20" of rain in the last 30 days. Soft soil and the rest is history. Off to the "how to unstuck a tractor" thread. But seriously its no biggie. I can still see the ROPS.