hst noisy

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hi, I have a 2015 b2320 with 10 hours.
I bought it in January of this year and I noticed when I first got it how quiet the HST was especially in colder weather I thought it would have been louder. I just noticed today that the HST is louder then it was and the noise is like if I had it in high gear with rpm to low.
Tractor was is medium gear and not under load with rpm at 2000rpm. Noise is coming from rear end.
Anybody have any imput?

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
The odds are that it's normal. Most of the hydraulics are in the rear, so that's where I'd expect to hear it. I'm sure you already checked the fluid, but you might want to check and make sure that your cooling fan is ok. It's under the tractor in the rear, assuming that your model has a fan on the transmission. I don't use mine much in winter, so I can't say that the temperature of the fluid could account for it sounding louder.

Good luck with your new tractor,

Jerry

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My B2620 got noticeably more hydraulic whine after I did the first 50 hour oil change.
So being we are in Canada Jtryan and we only have what they call the Premium UDT, I don't know if it's our oil that is different from factory fill?

I'm waiting for my next oil change (will be oil and filter change number 3) as I bought a pail of SUDT from the States. Going to try it and see if it makes any difference.

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I guess there's still a break in period for me and the tractor.
It gets louder when the rpm is higher.... I normally have it at low rpm just to bring wood in the house.... I wouldn't say it's a whining noise per say it's just noise from where the rear wheels and pto is

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your B won't have a cooling fan- those are on the BX tractors.
I would say that it's normal as things are getting broken in, but you could always have your dealer take a look at it. Chances are that they will say the same, but you will have it on record that you brought the noise up within the warranty period.
HST's make noise, and some people can't get used to it (not referring to you, just generalizing). I've learned to tune it out on my 7100, partly because I love the transmission so much. Some noise is well worth the advantage of HST.

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I'm ok if HST makes noise as long as it's normal.
I think what I'll do is go see my salesman and ask to drive a tractor on the lot to compared noise. My tractor is still pretty new with only 10 hours put on so noises should be the same

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Does the engine seem to work harder to make it move? That would indicate something is binding up. A couple of simple things to check:

a.) Parking brake off?
b.) 3 point lift... is the up/down lever in center, neutral position? Also, is the lowering speed adjustment knob (at your feet, below the seat), loose enough so the 3 pt arms will lower?
c.) Any chance the tires are low (unlikely on a new machine, but worth mentioning)?
d.) Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? Should be full, of course, but also worth checking.

These are easily overlooked things that can make the hydraulic system work harder and/or make more noise.
Beyond this, I'd have the dealer look at it. Hope it gets sorted out!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My tractor has almost 400 hours on it and I became more aware of the HST noise level at about a dozen hours or so. I would bet that it is normal and that you are just more aware of the noise now that you have a few hours in the seat.