How to know what I need for the hose adapter?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I picked up a grapple this past week, and the fittings on the hose ends don't fit my tractor. I removed the end from the hose and measured the threaded end and it measures 1/2" across and has an O ring at the bottom. The quick disconnects that I have used a 1/4" NPT male thread. Therefore I believe that I will need a female ORB x 1/4 NPT adapter. Is it safe to assume that the hose end is a #8 ORB end or do I need a #6 ORB?
I know that I can go to the local hydraulic store, however, I want to learn how to figure this out for the future. Is there a plastic gauge set that helps with identification like there is for nuts and bolts? thanks

Update: After looking at various websites, I have learned that the thread at the end of my hose measures 9/16" and is a #6 ORB fitting, or so I hope. Still trying to figure out hydraulic fitting nomenclature.

Update 2: I found a website www.Brennaninc.com with very informative videos about hydraulic fittings. They call the series Brennan University and each video is only a few minutes long.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I picked up a grapple this past week, and the fittings on the hose ends don't fit my tractor. I removed the end from the hose and measured the threaded end and it measures 1/2" across and has an O ring at the bottom. The quick disconnects that I have used a 1/4" NPT male thread. Therefore I believe that I will need a female ORB x 1/4 NPT adapter. Is it safe to assume that the hose end is a #8 ORB end or do I need a #6 ORB?
I know that I can go to the local hydraulic store, however, I want to learn how to figure this out for the future. Is there a plastic gauge set that helps with identification like there is for nuts and bolts? thanks
No - not safe.

Thread size for #8 ORB is 3/4-16
Thread size for #6 ORB us 9/16-18

Those are standard SAE fine thread sizes and can be gauged using calibers or a couple fine thread hex nuts from the hardware store. Its also possible the ends are British Standard Parallel Pipe or metric ORB.

If you dont own a decent caliper I suggest you buy one - they are not expensive and an easy way to answer these questions. They are also handy for a lot of other things....

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
@DustyRusty
they do make thread identifying kits for hydraulics like this one

most will have a booklet with charts that help.

Swagelok has a pretty good booklet for identifying the many different types of threads that they make. They probably have the tools also . I know I have downloaded this booklet but the site referred to wants information first so look around for it on a more general swagelok site?

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Male O-ring boss is an end style on a hydraulic fitting. It uses a rubber oring that seals in a matching recess in the female fitting. The threads can be SAE, BSPP. or metric. In the US they are most commonly SAE but you need to measure the OD to be sure.
1000002662.jpg

Dan

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Discount Hydraulics has a great little booklet on hydraulic fitting identification. I am sure if you called them the would send you one.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was able to pick up some adapters today at the local hydraulic dealer. I have 3 types of Landpride equipment and they all have different types of hose ends on the hoses. One would think that they would have some standardization of what they use. One is NPT, one is #6 "O" ring, and the last is JIC. I have to go back tomorrow to pick up the O ring adapter since I forgot it today.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was able to pick up some adapters today at the local hydraulic dealer. I have 3 types of Landpride equipment and they all have different types of hose ends on the hoses. One would think that they would have some standardization of what they use. One is NPT, one is #6 "O" ring, and the last is JIC. I have to go back tomorrow to pick up the O ring adapter since I forgot it today.
The choice of hoses is up to the manufacturer of the implement,. Thats why they make adapters and couplers with a choice of port options.

Dan