how to free wheel zd 1211 kubota mower

451johnny

Sep 11, 2018
Stroudsburg
Hi everyone I have a zd1211 mower that won't start and Im trying to get it on my trailer for repairs but It won't move ..is there a setting that will free the wheel so that one can move it ? thank you in advance johnny

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
The owners manual has a disclaimer about towing and possible transmission damage. Owners manual also has this picture for lifting rear.
Screenshot 2023-07-06 131139.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, I read the manual....
It's 'silly' that Kubota doesn't have a 'bypass the HST' lever !! Wonder what they would do if called out to service a unit, that 3 acres away from any road ???

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It's 'silly' that Kubota doesn't have a 'bypass the HST' lever !! Wonder what they would do if called out to service a unit, that 3 acres away from any road ???
Try moving a dead CTL or excavator, you have to pull the main drive.

Lack of bypass probably a safety issue and manufacturers don't want a run-away condition leading to liability claims.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

I had to laugh at this, as a former field service tech with a kubota dealer (and JD at the time).

Tech goes to the equipment however possible. If it has to be recovered, ropes, winch, cables, chains,whatever needed. And on most of the ZD series there is no release for the transmission, you just jerk it. Slowly. Snails pace slowly. If a box turtle is walking faster than your towed Kubota, that's about the right speed to tow it.

It is mostly a cost issue. A manual release will require significant change in the transmission case/housing, levers, arms, more stuff and more expense in more than one way, to an already expensive mower. THe thought is always "well it's already expensive and it SHOULD have it". Tack on about $3000 more to it, and people are gonna be more likely to buy another brand that is comparable, and $3000 less expensive. That's competition.

Besides, with what the ZD series mowers weigh, it's not easy to push them anyway--even if they do freewheel (and I've worked on more than one that does, although not by a "release" that we are talking about). Just broken.

Yeah try pulling a dead piece of equipment out of someone's mud hole with flat tires, in heat index of 120+ in the sunshine. Did a lot of it and I don't miss any of it. They got into more construction equipment like excavators and skid steer loaders, on those if one is dead, you remove the final drive gears/shaft, out in the field, before it will even move. And on track drive stuff, it does NOT move unless that is done. Glad I got out when I did.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca