How to access freeze plug on Kubota L245DT

Bernard Strehler

Equipment
Kubota L 245DT
Mar 31, 2024
Molokia, Hawaii
I need to access to replace a leaking freeze plug on the front right side of my L245DT tractor behind the oil pressure pump. I assume I should remove the oil pressure pump to do the job. Question is: How difficult or tricky is it to remove the pump and then reinstall if without mishap? I am ready to "go at it" but any advice on what to expect and how to handle anything tricky regarding the re-install of the pump would be greatly appreciated.

If any one has videos covering this pump removal operation on my (1981) L245DT or a similar Kubota tractor, that would REALLY help a lot.

Thanks for any help and tips.

ALOHA
Bernie on Molokai

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I assume you mean the hydraulic pump and that is pretty easy (at least it is on my similar vintage L185). You will have to remove the inlet and outlet pipes and then remove the pump.

There will be some o-rings underneath the inlet and the outlet pipes that you should probably replace. Since you live on an island I would recommend you replace all of the bolts also just to eliminate some of the corrosion that is probably forming.

You may want to spray a good penetrating oil on the bolts, they are not very large diameter so could be snapped off easily if you are too aggressive.

Put some grease or anti seize on the bolts into the pump, it might be aluminum and bind up. For sure don’t overdo the tightening of the bolts.

When the pump is off just shove a rag into the hole in the engine block to keep stuff from getting into the crankcase.

And don’t drill the freeze plug if that is how you intend to get it out. The cylinder wall is probably right behind the plug. Tap one side into the hole and then the other side should rotate out and can be pulled out of the block. I guess it is rusted though already so you might be able to pry it out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
As Russell said not a difficult job. Once the pump is removed you will have to remove the adapter plate that is between the engine block and the pump. Four bolts and it should come right off.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
DO NOT drill the freeze plugs, the cylinder wall is directly behind most plugs and you will drill right through the cylinder wall without even knowing it.
Just use a punch to spin the plugs and remove them with a pair of pliers.

Bernard Strehler

Equipment
Kubota L 245DT
Mar 31, 2024
Molokia, Hawaii
I need to access to replace a leaking freeze plug on the front right side of my L245DT tractor behind the oil pressure pump. I assume I should remove the oil pressure pump to do the job. Question is: How difficult or tricky is it to remove the pump and then reinstall if without mishap? I am ready to "go at it" but any advice on what to expect and how to handle anything tricky regarding the re-install of the pump would be greatly appreciated.

If any one has videos covering this pump removal operation on my (1981) L245DT or a similar Kubota tractor, that would REALLY help a lot.

Thanks for any help and tips.

ALOHA
Bernie on Molokai
Thanks very much Russel! Very thoughtful and helpful reply.
And thanks K.Guy and N.I. Wolfman. Good suggestions and cautions.
Mahalo,

Bernie of Molokai,
Hawaii

Last edited by a moderator: