How much play in steering?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My L3010 has just over 1200 hours on it. The FEL has only been off once and its primary uses are loader work and mowing or grading. While unloading it from the trailer yesterday my helper noticed what he thought was excess play in the front end. There is some slop in the steering but since I am the only operator and it has probably developed slowly, I think I just never noticed. I get just less than 1/4 turn of the wheel between full engagement both directions.
When I get it home from this job, I plan on jacking the front wheels off the ground and checking it closer.
How much play is too much?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I do not believe I have any slop in my L3200DT, at 250 hours. My old L185DT with manual steering did not have any slop to speak of, at several thousand hours (the tacho/hour meter quit at 750 hours about 25 years ago), when I sold it. Both of them do/did a lot of loader work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1/4 of the wheel is too much play, something is not right.
You really don't have to jack it up to check it.
Your tractor has a hybrid hydrostatic steering, the steering wheel connects to a hydro unit which powers a hydraulic ram that connects to the steering parts, on your model there is quite a few links that could be causing the play issue.

Quick check on the links will tell you where the play is.
If there is no play on any of the links in the front and the ram does not move with the steering wheel immediately, then you will have to pull the dash apart to get to the front side controls.