How many of you use steering wheel spinners on your tractor(s)?

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I've always heard of them being called suicide knobs. I have one on the 7100 which is handy but I don't see the point in having one on something with power steering.

workhorse

Jan 14, 2016
Alden, franklinville, boston
Also in the "can't imagine life without one" club. As far as getting off and getting stuck, that's understandable but the whole thumbs out idea... I never grab hold of the spinner unless I'm working the wheel in tight spots, when driving at a speed I just lay my hand on the top. I've had it on all my rigs and all my rigs (besides the 3710 w/ps ) the wheel/spinner has kicked out of my hands, but again I never grab the spinner, just let it rest under my palm. To each their own but I have em. One on the mower, one on the sXs, one on the tractor... Everything I have except the Chevy has a spinner !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
One of the first things I put on my tractors. Every time I help one of my friends without one it just doesn't feel right.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I've been driving tractor trailers for over 30 years...

Back in the "day" those things were a big NO GO ... with manual steering if you ever bumped the tire or got into an accident, that spinner would take your hand off.... many times back then especially in winter, that wheel would spin right of of your hands...

I see the same danger in a tractor.... power steering or not.

just my opinion.
Hey Ol buddy welcome to OTT. I didn't know you owned an ORANGE tractor.

On subject of SW spinner a lot of newer tractor have hyd cylinders on frt axle to control wheels and I think these STEERING cylinders would limit SW spinning yielding no harm to tractor operator by SW spinner.

Just my opinion:D

One thing I think I wouldn't like with hydrostatic steering is spinner would be located at same location for only a short period of time.

Last edited:

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Love my spinner knob. Really helps for turning for mowing and doing loader work.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
I've found that backing up is much easier with the spinner - especially when connecting implements. Without using it sometimes have to reposition a few times before lining up correctly. With the spinner I can be more exact.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Suicide knob on my 8N, my GR2100, and my L260.

My dad, uncles, and grandads all had suicide knobs on their cars and pickups. Really cool ones with clear knobs and things cast inside them. On uncle had one with a scorpion in it.

Best place for a scorpion.

Better than my boots.

Next up:

Tinted windows and curb feelers.

Last edited:

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I recently added one. Makes one handed steering far easier. I really like them while doing FEL work. I wish I had added one sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Yup. The Kubota one is junk. A little water and mud and it's toast. Crappy bearings, plastic race and no seals.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I've had one every since I bought the BX. I got a generic orange one at Rural King for $7.99. I don't know how I would do without it, especially for loader work where one hand is always on the joy stick. Makes precise steering very easy with just my left hand. The down side is like someone said, it migrates all over to different clock positions. It's not quite as handy when it get in the 10-2 zone, but it moves soon enough.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
The down side is like someone said, it migrates all over to different clock positions. It's not quite as handy when it get in the 10-2 zone, but it moves soon enough.
Avoid deadheading the steering (don't go to full lock and hold it there) and it should stay put. Each time the steering wheel is turned against the end of the cylinder stroke the fluid bypasses to tank, and the wheel continues to rotate the actuator from internal leakage.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Installed the Kubota knob when the b2650 was delivered, and had one on the traded bx2200. Very useful for all activities. What is the preferred installed position for operators that have one?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Avoid deadheading the steering (don't go to full lock and hold it there) and it should stay put. Each time the steering wheel is turned against the end of the cylinder stroke the fluid bypasses to tank, and the wheel continues to rotate the actuator from internal leakage.
The steering wheel on my M7040 changes clocking position(turns ever so slightly) when I drive it down the road.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
My preferred position is on the steering wheel...mine moves all over the place...I'll occasionally bring it back to the left side by lifting the front wheels off the ground with the front bucket and deadheading the steering as discussed.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Hokie in post #6 in the photo, the spinner looks like it is on the wheel. But the spokes look very big. Maybe the spinner would not fit onto the spoke. I just ordered a Kubota one($$$) now I read the Kubota one is junk. But my question is whats the issue with clamping it to the wheel if it won't fit the spoke ??

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
All tractors with hydrostatic steering will do that, it's normal.
Yes I know steering wheel rotation while driving is normal on ""some tractor models"" therefore as I stated spinner wouldn't remain in same location during operation on my M7040 if a spinner was installed.

I don't notice the steering wheel changing location(clocking) on my JD 4255 with hydrostatic steering and it has over 11,400 hrs on the speed-hour meter. If 4255 steering wheel changes clocking it's very minimal.