How many of you use steering wheel spinners on your tractor(s)?

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Just curious, how many of you use steering wheel spinners on your tractor(s)? I was thinking of trying one but I don't know if it would be that helpful.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just curious, how many of you use steering wheel spinners on your tractor(s)? I was thinking of trying one but I don't know if it would be that helpful.
I have three tractors and 3 spinners......lots of folks hate them - I love all of mine, two machines DO NOT have power steering, and one does. The one with PS can be pinky driven - the other two take very little to make light turns.

Place on spokes....not outer ring!;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For the price of a pizza you can give it a try and see!

I've got some tractors with them and some without them. Once you get use to using them you'll wonder why you didn't have one earlier.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I've been driving tractor trailers for over 30 years...

Back in the "day" those things were a big NO GO ... with manual steering if you ever bumped the tire or got into an accident, that spinner would take your hand off.... many times back then especially in winter, that wheel would spin right of of your hands...

I see the same danger in a tractor.... power steering or not.

just my opinion.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I had a Wheelhorse with a loader and a spinner was almost a necessity while working the loader and the direction/speed lever. I use them on our forktrucks as well. I won't get one for my BX though. It steers easy enough.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
Totally Love Mine !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My L1501 had one installed when I bought it. With not having power steering, the steering wheel can flop back and forth pretty good when going over rough terrain causing great pain in the hand and wrist. Worked around it and kept it on for a while.

Removed it after getting hung on it. I'm 6'1" and the tractor is pretty compact. To get off, I have to swing my leg over the steering wheel. Was wearing a pair of carpenters pants with the hammer loop. Well..... I was in a hurry to get off, so I swung my leg over and stood up in one fluid motion. Realized I had an issue when I dropped my foot off the step to hop down, and I stopped suddenly with both feet hanging :eek:

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I agree with you Daren if you don't have power steering don't get one ,reminds me of my 1970 Chevelle was standard steering I was taking a curb at an angle the steering wheel came back and nearly took my thumb off good thing I was just going real slow at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I can't imagine NOT having a spinner. It helps make the tractor nimble when doing loader work and repetitive back and forth motions.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Guess I'm in the minority.....I have looked at them...

Having grown up with a '53 Minneapolis Moline ZAU (narrow front end, no power steering), spinners were out of the question. We didn't have one on our MM ZA WFE, or even the MF Super 90, and that had power steering.

Because of that 'Moline narrow front, I still drive my '13 Chevy pickup with my thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel. Hell, I drive my BX2360 with my thumbs outside the wheel!:p

When I tell people that, they look at me like I have 2 heads!:confused:

But, if you hit a woodchuck hole in 4th gear like I did at age 12, you tend to remember it. :eek::eek:

Never said anything to my dad or grandfather, because that would have hurt more than my hand/wrist did for 2 weeks!!!:eek::(:p

And that was 41 years ago...

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I know that they can really hurt you if one of the front wheel get caught on something and the steering wheel get turn really quick. I'm in the no camp on having one on a tractor.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I know that they can really hurt you if one of the front wheel get caught on something and the steering wheel get turn really quick.
Even at 12, I had been warned 1,000 times......keep your thumbs OUT.

Started driving that tractor myself at 6.

I can still see that wheel spinning, could hear it!

Caught my thumb, and spun hand/arm around.

Probably broke/cracked something, but 12 year olds heal fast. Did hurt for couple weeks.

If I told my father, my ass would of hurt more from his size 12's!

Honestly, probably one of my more precious memories of being a "Farm Kid."

I had classmates, young kids, that encountered dangerous farm moments, and a couple didn't live to cherish them.......:(

Makes my experience look benign......

Reactions: 1 user

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Haha, I just ordered one from Amazon Friday and it's suppose to be delivered Monday (tomorrow).

I've never heard of them being called spinners before... I've always know them as suicide knobs! But, for brush hogging my field around the small trees with my L3560 (power steering) I think it will be ideal.

Ted

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The way i dismount my tractor,its so small i swing my leg over the steering wheel. Catch my coveralls on my way off tractor and its faceplant on something hard or jagged. So as much as i would like one is a no go for me.