How long would it take?

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Bush cutting season ends next week so I've made a mad burst at clearing some rhododendron.
Problem is that I now have a few piles of waste to dispose of. Burning is not ideal because my neighbours have mature native woodlands which I don't want to risk.
How long do you guys think it would take to chip a pile about 15yds by 9 and about 15ft high. Nothing bigger than 2.5". Don't know whether to buy or rent a chipper

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had a friend of mine cut down a good many trees - he had a pile that was about that large.
He had a guy drop off one of those commercial chippers - 4 cyl diesel type that you could throw in a 12" log and never hear is slow down. He had 4 people feeding - took about 2 hours.
That machine was huge - and would suck in a 25' limb at a good pace. This was oak, maple, pine.... all kinds of tree limbs.

If you ONLY have this pile - rent one - if you feel that you will have more in the future ........ buy a nice 3 point one with hydraulic feed. Not sure the best places in Ireland to buy or rent nor do I have any idea what that would cost there.

the future need for the chipper would determine the buy vs rent option.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I know you said you do not want to burn, but is that totally out of the question? I rarely burn, but recently burned a very large pile of brush I had accumulated for an entire year. I only burn when it is absolutely wet as I have woods close to me as well. If you could wait for the right conditions, burning is relatively safe. If it is hand stacked and not really dense like my pile was because I had packed it tight with my tractor, it will burn fast.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i rented a gas powered 6” one to take care of a tree that fell at my rental property, cost me $150. Took 3 of us less that 4 hrs. When done i filled up a 6x10x2 utility trailer. The tree was 2’ wide at the base and at least 60’ tall.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I know you said you do not want to burn, but is that totally out of the question? I rarely burn, but recently burned a very large pile of brush I had accumulated for an entire year. I only burn when it is absolutely wet as I have woods close to me as well. If you could wait for the right conditions, burning is relatively safe. If it is hand stacked and not really dense like my pile was because I had packed it tight with my tractor, it will burn fast.
There have been a few gorse fires here the last few years so people are wary of fires. I have burned in previous years but I don't want to fall out with my neighbours who arrived with shovels to put it out last year :oops: :rolleyes:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Wait for it to rain and and afterward burn a small pile at first slowly feeding and controlling it as you go. Being you are in Ireland you shouldn't have to wait long. That small stuff will burn real fast. Place your empty Amazon boxes on the ground , pile sticks , top liberally with kerosene and voila ! Offer the neighbors a drink and make it a party. Could last all night long. Your clout will rise in the community as the gathering grows. Bust out the guitar. I strongly feel this is your best solution. I am 1/8 Irish.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I had a similar issue on our property with three separate brush piles that were growing way faster than they were rotting and just were getting out of hand. Bought a Woodland Mills WC68 chipper which is hydraulic feed, PTO powered, self contained hydraulics so no rear remotes required, 6” capacity. We purchased because we have an intermittent but ongoing need for a chipper. Being it’s intermittent, my brother and I split the cost so sometimes it lives with me, sometimes with him. Essentially that cut the cost in half for both of us. It might take half a day to do a pile your size.

Don’t know exactly what options you have for purchase in Ireland. I do agree with others if it’s a one off job, I’d rent a big stand alone unit. If you’re going to have a recurrent need, may be worth buying a 3 point unit. Your 3450 should have enough PTO HP to chip 2.5” limbs with no problem.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Where I live (Texas, USA) there are commercial and local government center to drop off brush. The commercial charge a few dollars while the government centers are free to the local citizens of the jurisdiction. It cost less to drop it off than rent the chipper.

I had rented chippers twice for a weekend and they can work you to death if working by yourself and trying to work quickly. I had not collected all the brush into one area so I was moving the chipper occasionally so that may make it easier. But you still have to pick each individual limb up and get it into the chipper.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Rent a chipper... couple cases of beer get the grill going and a bunch of friends to help chip it all and have a party AFTER !!

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
It will take about 3 years to see the pile compress. If you can crush them down it will be better for it.

And if you can it lose organic material on top it will speed the decay. The more it stays moist, the faster it will decay.

After the pile start collapsing under its own weight, crush it again.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Thanks for the input guys
I had seriously underestimated the cost of buying a chipper. About the cheapest is a 4" model made from genuine chineseium at €1500. Rental is about €180/day. Chipping the wood clears the pile immediately so that the roots can be dug out/buried. These things grow super quick and ones that were cut to the ground exactly a year ago are already 3' tall, so quick action is called for. If they were to be burned, I would have to wait a few months for them to dry a little. I am getting a trackhoe in to make a road and he can take care of the roots if I have gotten rid of the wood.
So it looks like a day or 2 with a chipper (I was afraid it might be a week) and I might be able to rope in my brother and sister to help. Outside help is a no-no as I have an 85 and 90 year old to mind

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for the input guys
I had seriously underestimated the cost of buying a chipper. About the cheapest is a 4" model made from genuine chineseium at €1500. Rental is about €180/day. Chipping the wood clears the pile immediately so that the roots can be dug out/buried. These things grow super quick and ones that were cut to the ground exactly a year ago are already 3' tall, so quick action is called for. If they were to be burned, I would have to wait a few months for them to dry a little. I am getting a trackhoe in to make a road and he can take care of the roots if I have gotten rid of the wood.
So it looks like a day or 2 with a chipper (I was afraid it might be a week) and I might be able to rope in my brother and sister to help. Outside help is a no-no as I have an 85 and 90 year old to mind
Maybe a new subject but from my perspective the use of chemicals might be called for. Digging the roots out could take a long time and not be entirely effective. You might research applying a Round Up type poison on the emerging growth. Much easier. Thats what I would do and what I have done. Chemicals if used properly are our friends. Good luck.