How long does a warranty repair take?

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
The diagnosis was made the day I dropped it off, bad ECU. It's under warranty, but I have twice been told that we're waiting for Kubota Warranty to "approve" the repair.

Having always handled my own repair work (I have never owned a tractor that was under warranty if that tells you the kind of stuff I am used to working with)
a machine in the shop is a foreign concept for me.

What is a reasonable amount of time for a dealer keep a machine for an ECU replacement? I mean, it's relatively easy swap isn't it?

Don't wish to start off fussing with the dealer so I am asking those who have experienced warranty work before me.

What's reasonable? 3 weeks? 4 weeks?

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Bought the tractor used from an individual. It was not bought from this dealership.
Went out on a limb and bought it not running. But that's ok.....It's a Kubota 3 cyl diesel, what could possibly go wrong.

(Actually managed to make it run once and drove it on the trailer....Engine code 603 I think..)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Bought the tractor used from an individual. It was not bought from this dealership.
Went out on a limb and bought it not running. But that's ok.....It's a Kubota 3 cyl diesel, what could possibly go wrong.

(Actually managed to make it run once and drove it on the trailer....Engine code 603 I think..)
I don't think you should be too concerned about how long the repair will take. Your worry should be the approval- not the original owner, not the selling dealer, not sure how the tractor was used/cared for by previous owner- it will take time for Kubota to decide if they are responsible or not, and I wouldn't be surprised if they deny the warranty claim.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it's my understanding that the engine ECU is considered an emission-related device, thus the dealer has to jump through hoops and give an arm, a leg, maybe a....well anyway, there's not easily obtained. The good news is that the Irving warehouse has a few of them in stock. There is a new part number for them too as the originals are NLA.

Once it's installed, it'll have to be programmed as well-which takes even more time. And....if Kubota doesn't pay for it, grab your ankles. ~$2200 and change, not counting diag, programming, and installation labors.

P0603 can be a lot of things, not the least of which would be corrosion in the harness or harness connector so I hope your dealer did the legwork to eliminate the "easy" stuff.

I would never buy a non-running L3301 or 3901 or any of the other common rail tractors, not unless it was DIRT CHEAP and I knew it's history. They can get real expensive real quick. It would be like buying a 2008 or newer diesel pickup that does not run....same principle..and probably about the same expense.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
it's my understanding that the engine ECU is considered an emission-related device, thus the dealer has to jump through hoops and give an arm, a leg, maybe a....well anyway, there's not easily obtained. The good news is that the Irving warehouse has a few of them in stock. There is a new part number for them too as the originals are NLA.

Once it's installed, it'll have to be programmed as well-which takes even more time. And....if Kubota doesn't pay for it, grab your ankles. ~$2200 and change, not counting diag, programming, and installation labors.

P0603 can be a lot of things, not the least of which would be corrosion in the harness or harness connector so I hope your dealer did the legwork to eliminate the "easy" stuff.

I would never buy a non-running L3301 or 3901 or any of the other common rail tractors, not unless it was DIRT CHEAP and I knew it's history. They can get real expensive real quick. It would be like buying a 2008 or newer diesel pickup that does not run....same principle..and probably about the same expense.
There are some aftermarket ecu manufacturers for automotive diesels that are programmable for the really adventurist owner! I have no experience with them but I am trying to make a Microsquirt ECU work to convert a Air cooled Volkswagen to FI. If I had to shell out $2000+ for a stock one I think I'd be tempted to look into what is available and maybe even get rid of that pesky DPF!

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I just got the call from the dealer. After a thorough checking, Kubota warranty has accepted and agreed to replace the ECM under warranty. Says it will be here sometime next week.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
That's great! I bet you feel relieved!

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Yes I am relieved. I accounted for the possibility of an expensive repair, I was prepared for that but as it turns out the Kubota Warranty got it YES!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There are some aftermarket ecu manufacturers for automotive diesels that are programmable for the really adventurist owner! I have no experience with them but I am trying to make a Microsquirt ECU work to convert a Air cooled Volkswagen to FI. If I had to shell out $2000+ for a stock one I think I'd be tempted to look into what is available and maybe even get rid of that pesky DPF!
I've done a PiMP on a 2.3 Ford and it worked well, and built my own MS for another 2.3 about 15 years ago on a Mustang SVO. Fully programmable, not real hard to figure out once you understand it. They'll control anything so long as you can get the fuel to the engine-which in some cases is the hardest part (injectors, rails, etc).

On the diesel stuff, a lot of guys delete the DPF but that means buying a "kit" to do it correctly. It takes a VERY long time to pay for itself, for most owners (non-commercial).... experience speaking. My old one is a 7.3, which is supposed to be bulletproof and it's been great for the most part, BUT, for a typical owner, you LOSE money with diesel due to fuel, maintenance and repair costs being higher than a comparable gas engine. You'd have to drive a lot more than I do to break even, and I'm usually at about 25k/year. I won't own another one for sure. Even UPS and FEdex locally are buying new gas trucks and getting away from Diesel, which I find odd. Not even mentioning "tampering with emissions" laws...

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I've done a PiMP on a 2.3 Ford and it worked well, and built my own MS for another 2.3 about 15 years ago on a Mustang SVO. Fully programmable, not real hard to figure out once you understand it. They'll control anything so long as you can get the fuel to the engine-which in some cases is the hardest part (injectors, rails, etc).

On the diesel stuff, a lot of guys delete the DPF but that means buying a "kit" to do it correctly. It takes a VERY long time to pay for itself, for most owners (non-commercial).... experience speaking. My old one is a 7.3, which is supposed to be bulletproof and it's been great for the most part, BUT, for a typical owner, you LOSE money with diesel due to fuel, maintenance and repair costs being higher than a comparable gas engine. You'd have to drive a lot more than I do to break even, and I'm usually at about 25k/year. I won't own another one for sure. Even UPS and FEdex locally are buying new gas trucks and getting away from Diesel, which I find odd. Not even mentioning "tampering with emissions" laws...
VW made fuel injected versions of the bug engine. I was lucky enough to score one from a 1975 beetle so the injectors and rails are covered. I have a Kitcar that I want to put modern fuel control on. I am building a 2300cc engine for it using a block from a waterboxer that I have modified into an aircooled engine. Currently the car has a1500 engine in it.

I have one customer with a SVL90-2 who took his DPF apart and somehow drilled the particulate filter out so it isn't catching anything. He had to get me out to do a soot reset and forced regen on it because he had let it go past level 4 before he destroyed the DPF. That was 2 years and about 900 hrs ago and he says it is still running good! I don't recommend his approach but I do sympathize with the frustration of operating a DPF equipped engine in some applications!

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

Back when the Powerstroke came out, a friend who worked at a Ford dealership told me about a study that Ford had done- a person would have to drive 31,000+ miles a year to justify the increased cost of the diesel.

bx2380

Mar 31, 2017
Hanson KY
When a repair is the expensive the dealer normally will get the MFG involved before going very deep. That way if it is denied they are not on the hook for the repair if the customer is not willing to pay.

Back in 79 when IH went to unleaded and the 4V carb on the Scouts w/345 they would make you attempt to rebuild at least twice before approving to install a new carb. Then if all of your T's were not crossed and I's dotted they would find a way to ding you on the repair. And when the 400 series engine came out with the American Bosh 100 pumps customers would be upset when their new tractor with only a few hundred hours would need a fuel pump replaced and IH would send a reNEWed pump. They wanted a NEW one not rebuilt! And LORD HELP YOU IF YOU BROKE THE SEAL to turn it up!

Shelbygt660

Feb 27, 2017
echo bay
Kubota can take its time to approve a warranty epescialy the higher cost ones. I'd expect to be down a week or so. And maybe longer depending on stock. I assume this is a US tractor?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Yes it is a US tractor and yes it is still in the shop. Although I have been told that Kubota approved the repair under warranty, I am beginning to feel as if I am not an important customer to my local dealership. Only time will tell.

I am still waiting for the parts clerk (Adam) to call me back with a price on factory rear remotes. I was promised this call back on February 15th.

If there is a dealer on this forum that can tell me what I need and $$ it cost to set up a rear remote (I like to be able to adjust my top link hydraulically) - I would appreciate it greatly.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Picked it up Thursday! It's back and it works like a champ! Changed the oil and moved 16 yards of sand - - Double thumbs up!