How Heavy For A Counterweight?

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I am going to build the metal framework and use concrete for a FEL counter weight. I have an L4701 with the LA765 FEL. I am about to begin a fairly large landscaping project and will be moving countless loads of topsoil and rock with the bucket. I am wondering what you all would recommend for the weight of the concrete block?

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have the older cousin to yours a L4600DT.

I use my carryall as my ballast, it weighs in around 750#'s to 800#'s. I use the carryall itself, 5 80# buckets of concrete, and 150#'s of weights secured under the carryall.

This seems to work well for me, with bucket full off dirt but kept low when moving it seems to handle well.

I like the carryall as ballast as it can serve a number of uses when not needed for ballast. I have $200 in the carryall and the concrete and broken bricks and blocks less than $20.00. If I need more ballast I can buy a 80# bag of concrete grab a 5 gallon bucket from the barn and presto more ballast.

I remove the buckets which have lids and stack until needed next time.

If you like my idea you can search my post for carryall build and gets more ideas details.

Good luck.
Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Around 1500lbs would be about right.
Do you already have loaded tires?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
From memory concrete's density is 150# per cubic foot.

For NIW's recommended 1,500#, you would need 10 cubic feet.
2.5' x 2' x2'

Build it wide and low so the weight greatly adds to the roll stability. Tall ballast weights like a drum filled with concrete end up putting the weight up high and don't help much for roll stability.

Steel at 490# per cubic foot works great if you have a plate shop nearby.

I bought some pieces of 3" thick plate which were left overs so sold to me for a little above scrap prices.

Dave

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Around 1500lbs would be about right.
Do you already have loaded tires?
Yes I do. That should factor in to the equation. When I was using the rock bucket I used my 100 gallon sprayer full of water but I was nervous every about damaging it while focused on the task up front. I would feel more comfortable with a smaller indestructible concrete ballast..

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought a steel john deere ballast box from a trader on Craigslist. A factory made box. All poured. The guy said it weighs 700 lbs. Without measuring I'm guessings its 30" wide x 24" deep x 30" tall. When I drop it to remove it. I drop it on a pallet so I can move it with my pallet forks.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Wolfman hit the nail on the head I have a tractor about the same size as your's and it does well with 1500 lbs on the back as long as I keep it as low as I can. My tires are filled also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes I do. That should factor in to the equation. When I was using the rock bucket I used my 100 gallon sprayer full of water but I was nervous every about damaging it while focused on the task up front. I would feel more comfortable with a smaller indestructible concrete ballast..
I thought you already had loaded tires so I did factor that in. ;)

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
It appears most cat1 ballast boxes are in the 5 cubic foot size. So the weight of the box plus that much concrete would equal about 800 lbs.

Personally, if I needed a dedicated ballast like that I would home build. A cat1 draw bar is a bit less than $50 CDN, a length of 7/8" hot roll bar stock is maybe $25. Some re-bar, and flat stock to make a top link attachment point and good to go.

I have enough pieces of plywood to build a form very close to the size of a purchased box and pour my own. I already have loaded tires and with my size tractor the combination of all this is about equal to the capacity of my loader.

So far, I've never had an occasion to need ballast in a confined enough area to justify a box. I usually use my brush hog or disk as ballast.

My 5 cents of opinion.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
What I have decided to do is buy a 3 point hitch from Titan which happens to be on sale right now ( https://www.palletforks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=TDRLWv2 ) then weld on some extensions off the back, build a 2x2x2.5 ft box around the extensions, and pour concrete in the box equaling 10 cuft. The Titan hitch arrives today. I'll post a few pictures of the project when I am done.

Cheap way to go find a round bale for ballast. Depending on the size of the bale would be a cheap counterweight. Bales on my place are around 2k each. Just food for thought.