How did this happen?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I got a call from a young friend and he said the city park cut down a bunch of trees and they were cut in to length for a stove. Well sure if I dont have to cut I ll take the wood. Anyways word got out before I got there and what was left would be halfassed camp fire wood, There were a bunch of OAK butts maybe 20 to 28 inches across, and maybe 12 inches high, lots of good burning there. Sure I have loaded stuff this size before a grunt or 3 and it was in the truck.
I couldnt even move them even the small ones I could move, but not load. How did I get so old that I cant do things I love? Is this because of almost a year in the hospital and in recovery and taking care of my wife. Is my core gone, is there nothing left, am I just a damned shell of what I was? Yeah I know Im whining. I just had to vent I know all things change and all men get old, but damn I never dreamed it would happen to me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like it's nursing home time for you. Time to go to assisted care where you can contract the virus and expire in peace.

In reality, people get feeble at different rates, some faster, some slower. I know people in their 50's who are feeble and people in their 70's who aren't.

I'm in my 70's and I'm not.....:eek:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Skeets you are not old. You are suppose to remember the $20 bill to pay some kid to load them in the truck for you. Or take the bota next time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, one of the best things you can do for your strength and endurance is get a bicycle and get in the habit of riding it. Get one with the bigger tires, and straight across handlebars so you don't have to bend over like your racing. You can get 21 gears and select what's easy for you that day.

You do nothing and you become a rust bucket! Useless.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I feel for you.
55 and i feel like my legs are giving out. I was in vegas in november for sema, monday was rough, tuesday was worse. Wednesday i couldnt leave the hotel.
Now in the last couple months i have a hip giving me a lot of grief. I cant lift a whole lot like i used to.
Im on my feet 7 days/week and noticed my steps are different too dragging feet a little more. I dont like dragging my feet.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Skeets, one of the best things you can do for your strength and endurance is get a bicycle and get in the habit of riding it. Get one with the bigger tires, and straight across handlebars so you don't have to bend over like your racing. You can get 21 gears and select what's easy for you that day.

You do nothing and you become a rust bucket! Useless.
I support this suggestion.

I live in hilly country. Heck it's up hill both ways when I go out, and when I come back.
I put together an ELECTRIC BIKE this winter, thinking it might flatten the hills and I would ride more.

Boy Does that WORK! I've got over 140 miles on this spring. On a straight bike, I wouldn't have had it out once yet. I rode into town today to get a special bolt. 17 miles round trip. I came home warm and breathing deep. A bit tired, but smiling. Oh! I got the bolt!

The e-bike is the excuse to get out there. It has "pedal assist settings" 0-6. I ride at setting 2. It's all in the cadence and effort.

You are never too old to feel young.

Yesterday was my 69th year. Yea!

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Got going a little slow on the bike last summer and it gently eased over onto the case guards. Discovered a) I didn't have the leg strength to stop it and b) I couldn't pick the bike up. First time in over 30 years. Welcome to my world.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Not so long ago I said to a friend, I don't know what happened, all of a sudden I feel old, I didn't see it coming, to which he replied well don't you look in the mirror? With that I replied why the f#*k would I look in the mirror, I'm too f#*king ugly for that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL,, yep I did that too, looked and wondered who that old man was looking back at me.
Maybe being a bull and not backing away from things, catches up with one sooner or later, and we have to pay for the dumb things we did.
Though on a brighter note, the young man that called (also a Brother) showed up with his farm truck loaded with those oak rounds with another Brother. They loaded them up and dropped the off at the house. A couple of good young men.
I think what bothers me is the fact that, I have always the one doing for others that couldnt do things for them selves. And now it is "I" that cant do things. Call it ego or pride or what ever, it is a very sobering realization

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I just had to vent I know all things change and all men get old, but damn I never dreamed it would happen to me.
I am very thankful that I am among that chosen few that get old(er). I'll take the limitations and weaknesses that seem to be the dues that one must pay for the privilege.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I'm there too Skeets. I used to go all day in the woods, cutting, splitting, stacking firewood, building walls, working in the yard and around the house. Now I start late and finish early, my stamina has run out and my strength is waning. Like I told the Dr. last week during my annual physical, I can still do the things at 70 that I did when I was 40! It just takes longer and hurts more.

Abe

Equipment
L2250, 60"MMM, 6' Rear Blade, 6' Front mount Blade, 2 Furrow Plow, 7' Lift Boom,
They say "The older you get, the more birthdays you have" or " the more birthdays you have the older you get". Or "Age is a matter of mind, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Ok boys, after all this covid chit is over party at my place. We'll start at 4, bbq at 7, sit around the fire till 9 or 10 then off to bed. Party down you rebels you.:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ok boys, after all this covid chit is over party at my place. We'll start at 4, bbq at 7, sit around the fire till 9 or 10 then off to bed. Party down you rebels you.:D

bear - that sounds great, but for me it needs to start at 1, BBQ at 4, fire until 7:30 or 8....[emoji15]

I had a birthday Sunday. My coworkers got me a card that said “I can still Party until the cows come home...as long as it’s before 9:00...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
bear - that sounds great, but for me it needs to start at 1, BBQ at 4, fire until 7:30 or 8....[emoji15]

I had a birthday Sunday. My coworkers got me a card that said “I can still Party until the cows come home...as long as it’s before 9:00...”

Lol, that was me just trying to look tough, we'll stick with your plan.;)

PS: happy belated my friend.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Skeets i feel your pain. I'm nearly 68 and I like you i was the one doing the helping. Humbles you when you need help to do things you used to be able to do yourself. I just ended chemotherapy last month and doing fine, but i sure hope some of my stamina comes back.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for the b-day wishes guys.

Skeets - seriously, I’m not your age, but catching up...

I was doing some “basic” wood cutting last fall. Amounted to blocking and stacking a face cord or two ..not much. Green Sugar Maple, so it was heavy.

I was kinda tuckered after stacking it..... I thought this used to be easy...

Hell, I used to block, split, load, drive, unload and stack 3-5 face cords....I could do 3 full cords of spruce pulpwood in a day at the road hand loaded and unloaded.

Something happened, and it was time.

My advantage is that I can still look back and complain.

Just be thankful you can still bitch about it like me, my friend....

I wanna listen to you bitch for a long, long time. It’s no exaggeration that you’re one of my OTT favorites, and have been for a long time![emoji41]

Take care, my friend.

Last edited: