HOT! What else to check?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I used my 1999 grand L 3010 with the rotary cutter about 4 weeks ago and it was running a little hot when I put it up. Today I got it out for the first time since, moved the cutter deck and quick hitched the box blade for about 30 minutes of dirt work. Put the tiller on and started tilling shallow for grass seed bed and did a hillside less than 1000 sq feet all side hill with the left wheels low. About 88 degrees and sun. No problems but as I was finishing up I noticed the temp gauge well into the red! Drove it over to the shade and shut it off and had lots of boiling and gurgling up front for several minutes. I let it sit for awhile and checked and fluid levels are good including coolant. Started and ran perfect and didn't raise temps when I ran it w no PTO and backed it into the barn.
Ill flush and service the coolant and make sure the water pump is working tomorrow but is there anything else I should look for? Does operating on a side hill make any difference? I wouldn't think so if th pump is working. I know it is hot outside but not crazy hot and I was running the PTO at 540 but shallow and in powder dry soil.
Thanks

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Check to be sure that your radiator didn't get all plugged up with trash when you were mowing. It's a fairly common thing.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Yea thanks. I forgot to mention that but the radiator wasn't too bad. I'm gonna flush and clean everything before I use it again anyway.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I think there is a small screen in front of the radiator. Make sure that is clean. A flush will hopefully help you too. Good luck!

76_Bronco

Equipment
B7200 4WD w/FEL, 4' disc, 4' Brush Hog, 14" Plow, 4' Blade, JD 246 2 row Planter
Mar 28, 2012
Rainsville, Al
X2 on the screen, I usally clean mine every couple of hours if I'm mowing tall grass/weeds with lots of seed heads.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Problem identified and solved. I panicked I s'pose because I've never had any issues and all at once I'm hotter than the hubs of hell. The screen and radiator were holding more crud than I realized and I cleaned everything out. Seems good now, just unloaded a trailer load of oak logs with no heat issues but I'm running low rpm and no PTO yet. Ill keep an eye on it.
Thanks all.