Hood Latch Woes

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I went out this afternoon to take a look at my fuel injector wetness "problem" and the hood unlatching rod was disconnected from the latching mechanism.

Da wigglin' pin had come outta da wobblin' hole!

With the hood latched and no way to unlatch it, I was in a sorta situation. I didn't want to poke a hole in the grill mesh so I thought about the headlights. I removed both of them and gained the only access that was available. It was still too tight to reach in and unlatch the fastener so I proceeded to remove the U bolt that the fastener attaches to. Tight squeeze but I managed and with the two nuts removed from the U bolt the hood how opened. Yeah!

Reinstalled the latch rod into the latch, reattached the U bolt, headlights back into place and I now have a latching and unlatching hood again. What caused it? I think slamming the hood shut which is what I did last. Now it will be lowering the hood and turning the Mascot (hood latch /handle/knob) to unlatch and latch the hood.

The injector wetness will wait until another day. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Sometimes bolts do come loose on their own. Try an application of blue Loctite or Vibritite VC-3 to keep things from shaking loose in the future.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
No bolts or anything shook loose.

The latching/unlatching rod is spring loaded which holds it inside of the latch. My thoughts are that slamming the hood closed caused the rod to jump free of the latch.

I have no idea whether this has ever happened to anyone before, but lowering the hood and turning the Mascot (hood latch /handle/knob) to unlatch and latch the hood will prevent this from ever happening again.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Happened to me on one of my M9000's about 3 months ago and you need midget hands to get in there to release the hood. Did a bunch of cussing. Finally got it. I don't slam / drop mine anymore either.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I didn't know when I posted this whether it had ever happened to anyone before. Your response verifies that it has and could happen to others and justifies bringing it to everyone's attention.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Thanks for pointing out the issue. Apparently it was a common enough problem that Kubota has redesigned the latching mechanism and in addition the hood now raises with a gas strut like a car hood or trunk.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Regrettably the new gas strut idea didn't make it to the B2650s. My hood is awkward and difficult to raise and lower, and I pretty much have to drop it the last few inches. The L tractor has a spring assist.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Regrettably the new gas strut idea didn't make it to the B2650s. My hood is awkward and difficult to raise and lower, and I pretty much have to drop it the last few inches. The L tractor has a spring assist.
You ought to try a M9000 hood. It's long and flexible like a wiggle worm. I lower mine with the Mascot turned sideways now and push it the last inch or so on the spring. Hood cost 900 bucks of I screw it up.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
my L3300 needed a battery boost only second battery in 20 years- pretty good so far. to get at the battery- climb on the loader bucket and frame, turn the mascot lift and remove the front grill. attach cables to charger booster and wait...start tractor and then reassemble.. after many attempts at this and never done in nice weather i decided to
1- replace the battery 2- install anderson connectors have the end of connector exposed for future use.. havent needed to use this yet, but it is slippery dangerous to be climbing on loader parts when cold snowy and slippery

with any luck the way i buy stuff ill never again have to use it

yah i know "raise the bucket stupid " great but have to get it started in order to do that have fun

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, I wonder what one would do on a tractor without a loader. That would be a large Leatherman Tool with a fold-out stepladder.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
And working under a raised bucket is the MAIN way to qualify for the title of “bucket stupid”. ;)