Home made Ballast Box.....

Weasel1

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Land Pride Rotary cutter, Kubota bucket
Jun 28, 2020
East Tennessee
I am currently making a rear ballast “box”. I had an old quick hitch that the previous homeowner left in our barn. It fits on my L2501 three point hitch, but doesn’t fit my rotary cutter. I made a form of wood, and am filling it with concrete around the quick hitch. It will use four 60 lb. bags of Quickcrete to fill the form. So when done, I should have a rear “box” ballast the weighs 240 lbs. plus the 35 lbs of the quick hitch. Pics when it’s done.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
is there any way you can make your form larger? 275 lbs of ballast on the back of your tractor is almost insignificant if you have a loader....I'd be shooting for 2x that weight at a minimum.

Anyway, sounds like a good use of a quick hitch that isn't necessarily needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Weasel1

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Land Pride Rotary cutter, Kubota bucket
Jun 28, 2020
East Tennessee
is there any way you can make your form larger? 275 lbs of ballast on the back of your tractor is almost insignificant if you have a loader....I'd be shooting for 2x that weight at a minimum.

Anyway, sounds like a good use of a quick hitch that isn't necessarily needed.
I already have 120 lbs. of wheel weights on the rears too. I have a loader, but don’t do much heavy work with it, mostly horse manure after cleaning stalls. I have a hay spear and move round bales short distances, and have done it with no ballast, so what I added should be sufficient.

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Doesn't the water eventually evaporate, and therefore not effect the final weight?
Bags of concrete gain weight when mixed with water to create the finished product. See Quickrete's magical math formula here
Concrete.JPG

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
I added a bunch of scrap metal to mine. Old chain, implement parts and anything else I could find that was solid. Don't know how much it helped, but seemed like a good idea.