High hour use

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
There are a couple Kubota MX5200D close to me that don't look bad and are reasonable priced with one having 6500 hrs and the other 10,500 would you run or take a look ? I'm just looking for something rinseable and cheap to build a front snowblower on with a pto running off the back pto kind of a experiment. Already have a rear snowblower that I'll convert.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There are a couple Kubota MX5200D close to me that don't look bad and are reasonable priced with one having 6500 hrs and the other 10,500 would you run or take a look ? I'm just looking for something rinseable and cheap to build a front snowblower on with a pto running off the back pto kind of a experiment. Already have a rear snowblower that I'll convert.
The 10,500 hour one better be EXTREMELY cheap, and the 6,500 hour one better be VERY cheap.
An engine shop rebuild eng./trans.(?) would be VERY expensive, and a new eng./trans.(?) - Tier IV eng. replacement required - would very likely be more expensive than what you initally paid for the tractor..
Are you a guy who likes to push your luck ???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The serious farmers around me get rid of stuff with those hours as they cannot count on the tractor being reliable. A broken down machine becomes very expensive in your time alone especially if you need it to clean your drive or other drives you do for $.

Dave

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
The serious farmers around me get rid of stuff with those hours as they cannot count on the tractor being reliable. A broken down machine becomes very expensive in your time alone especially if you need it to clean your drive or other drives you do for $.

Dave
We replace equipment after 2000 hours. I would never buy one with 6000 hours or more

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
For a small machine like that buying one with 6500 hours or more is a gamble you can expect to dump big dollars into it.

like most people mentioned above you would be better off to keep looking for something with less time on it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I think purchasing a high use tractor would depend on tractors appearance & maintenance record. My tractor I utilize to operate my rd baler is a '91 JD 4255 with 11,600 + hrs, My '81 Ford 6700 has 13,000+ hrs of use that I utilize to pull my 14 wheel bi-fold rake. They operate equipment to rake/bale 1000+ rd bales per year for several yrs & if it rains this Spring I intend for them to do the same this yr.

I' choose these 2 tractors over newer tractors with ""electronic controlled trans/hyds & emission contraptions"".

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I think purchasing a high use tractor would depend on tractors appearance & maintenance record. My tractor I utilize to operate my rd baler is a '91 JD 4255 with 11,600 + hrs, My '81 Ford 6700 has 13,000+ hrs of use that I utilize to pull my 14 wheel bi-fold rake. They operate equipment to rake/bale 1000+ rd bales per year for several yrs & if it rains this Spring I intend for them to do the same this yr.

I' choose these 2 tractors over newer tractors with ""electronic controlled trans/hyds & emission contraptions"".

Farm utility tractors are built much stronger than compact tractors and I agree if they are maintained well will go a long time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I know nothing about those tractors, but assuming they have sleeves in them, why expensive to 'rebuild' ? Also, at that hour, maybe they've already been rebuilt ?
One of those , if it's going to fail, it already has, so it's be a good tractor ??
have to ask why the 'must replace with Tier IV ' engine ? some hidden federal law ?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
makes me wonder if they're reading tenths on the hour meter, in other words maybe one of them has 650.0 hours and the other 1000.0.

Believe me, I've seen this VERY often!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know nothing about those tractors, but assuming they have sleeves in them, why expensive to 'rebuild' ? Also, at that hour, maybe they've already been rebuilt ?
One of those , if it's going to fail, it already has, so it's be a good tractor ??
have to ask why the 'must replace with Tier IV ' engine ? some hidden federal law ?
Yup.
As I understand it, NEW replacement MUST be Tier IV per federal law!
Though I believe you are in Canada.
Probably even some sort of more costly federal BS replacement requirement there.

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
Thanks for all the replies and input. They are listed on Tractorhouse in Twin Falls Idaho. They haven't had hard use they were on a Dairy and only used to push hay back to the cows and groom freestalls. Pretty sure the PTO have never been used. I know that you never should buy anything off a Dairy because I grew up on one and they get used hard but these sure don't look abused at all. They never cleaned them up to hide anything. There 2014 tractors and on consignment for $8000 but think maybe they could be bought for half that.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for all the replies and input. They are listed on Tractorhouse in Twin Falls Idaho. They haven't had hard use they were on a Dairy and only used to push hay back to the cows and groom freestalls. Pretty sure the PTO have never been used. I know that you never should buy anything off a Dairy because I grew up on one and they get used hard but these sure don't look abused at all. They never cleaned them up to hide anything. There 2014 tractors and on consignment for $8000 but think maybe they could be bought for half that.
The 6500 hour one MIGHT be worth the risk at $4K ?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I have not bought any new machines of any kind since 1980. Have a 2009 Ford Platinum truck that people say looks brand new. I bought a new Kubota as there were no used ones around here at the time. Tractors are used hard and that is a lot of time. I hate to spend on new, but with my lack of experience with Diesel and tractors I went for it. Don't know if this helps, but I also buy a lot of machines to refurbish/restore. You must check them out completely. I buy so much over the years I have a feel for it and a lot of experience, but even I get burnt some times.

Baldric

Equipment
L4240
Jan 15, 2022
Devon, UK
I recently purchased a L4240 on 6800 hours. The engine seems to be standing up ok as does pretty much everything else except the transmission. Still useable but very noisy.
To be honest, I wish I had gone for much lower hours but in the UK, these machines are very expensive.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Farm utility tractors are built much stronger than compact tractors and I agree if they are maintained well will go a long time.
I agree BUT a large % of utility tractors aren't utilized to the extent that farm tractors are subjected. Many utility tractors are not utilized very many hours per year

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I agree BUT a large % of utility tractors aren't utilized to the extent that farm tractors are subjected. Many utility tractors are not utilized very many hours per year
6,500 hrs, 6,800 hrs, 8,000 hrs, 10,500 hrs, are still lots of times that everything in any engine is going round, and round!
The continued hard pulling by farm tractors may affect engine wear, but in either type machine with the same total hours, the same parts are all moving/wearing constantly.
Utility tractors usually have many more cold starts, and that can certainly be an engine wear issue.