help ZG 127s zero turn wont start ?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Does it crank, but not start? Or doesn't crank at all?

If it cranks, but doesn't start then probably a fuel selonoid. If it doesn't crank at all, then it's probably a safety switch. Either pto, seat occupancy switch, lever not in neutral. If it isn't something simple and foolish, then i would be contacting the dealer to fix it;)

tripleseas

Equipment
ls 5030 , zg127s
Sep 14, 2014
gainesville florida
does not crank at all ,i will call dealer in Am thanks for the response,

If it cranks, but doesn't start then probably a fuel selonoid. If it doesn't crank at all, then it's probably a safety switch. Either pto, seat occupancy switch, lever not in neutral. If it isn't something simple and foolish, then i would be contacting the dealer to fix it;)[/QUOTE]

pritcharddesign

Equipment
Kubota zg 127s
Jun 28, 2021
Easton PA
I'm having this problem! Can't afford service! New solenoid last year. Ran for a while. New starter this year. Ran for a while. Just put in a new battery. Won't start. Just clicks. Thoughts on how to find the safety switches???

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I'm having this problem! Can't afford service! New solenoid last year. Ran for a while. New starter this year. Ran for a while. Just put in a new battery. Won't start. Just clicks. Thoughts on how to find the safety switches???
Safety switches are in the seat, each motion control levers and parking brake. And of course PTO switch has to be disengaged.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Just clicks with all you have done sounds like a bad cable from the battery to ground or the battery to the solenoid.

pritcharddesign

Equipment
Kubota zg 127s
Jun 28, 2021
Easton PA
Is the PTO engaging and disengaging with the switch while the key is on?
Hard do diagnose over the internet. Break out the test light and multimeter
Just watched some videos and remembered that it was acting finicky. I'll test it. But wondering if it could be at all related to not starting.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Just watched some videos and remembered that it was acting finicky. I'll test it. But wondering if it could be at all related to not starting.
Possibly, with the PTO switch engaged you will hear it click while turning the key on but nothing will happen turning the key to the start position.

Just reread your first post what is clicking? If a safety switch is the issue there shouldn’t be anything clicking. Is the starter solenoid clicking?

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
I had a no start happen on Z422 after mowing for two hours. I stopped for water and gas. When I tried to start it...nothing. I rechecked the levers, brake set and my 225lb mass in the seat. I got up, said some swear words usually reserved for Sikorsky. I went back and jiggled the battery wires and the ground wire was about to fall off the battery lug. Tightened up both battery cables, then went back to mowing.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I wonder if a bad PTO switch would affect it starting?
A bad safety switch would result in 'nothing'. No clicks, just dead.
I am sure if you put a meter on the battery, checked the voltage, then put it on the starter (while trying to start), the numbers would not be the same, indicative of a bad supply cable, bad ground cable or poor connection. This is assuming the battery is fully charged and the issue is not a charging problem.

pritcharddesign

Equipment
Kubota zg 127s
Jun 28, 2021
Easton PA
A bad safety switch would result in 'nothing'. No clicks, just dead.
I am sure if you put a meter on the battery, checked the voltage, then put it on the starter (while trying to start), the numbers would not be the same, indicative of a bad supply cable, bad ground cable or poor connection. This is assuming the battery is fully charged and the issue is not a charging problem.
Cool. Thanks. The battery is brand new.

pritcharddesign

Equipment
Kubota zg 127s
Jun 28, 2021
Easton PA
I had a no start happen on Z422 after mowing for two hours. I stopped for water and gas. When I tried to start it...nothing. I rechecked the levers, brake set and my 225lb mass in the seat. I got up, said some swear words usually reserved for Sikorsky. I went back and jiggled the battery wires and the ground wire was about to fall off the battery lug. Tightened up both battery cables, then went back to mowing.
HAHA. Thanks for the humor. And what you did. I will check all the cables!

pritcharddesign

Equipment
Kubota zg 127s
Jun 28, 2021
Easton PA
Possibly, with the PTO switch engaged you will hear it click while turning the key on but nothing will happen turning the key to the start position.

Just reread your first post what is clicking? If a safety switch is the issue there shouldn’t be anything clicking. Is the starter solenoid clicking?
The click is the sound when I turn the key, trying to start. It made no sound before I put the new battery in. The PTO switch is not engaged.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Have you scraped and cleaned both ends of both battery cables?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there's several sources for a "click"

can be starter, can be starter solenoid, pto clutch, etc

often on those mowers the brake switch goes bad. The starter solenoid will "click" but it won't make contact if the brake switch is bad. Sometimes you can hold the key to "start" while in the seat, and move the brake off and on a few times, if in doing so the engine starts, the likelihood of a failed brake switch is high. That switch is located under the fuel tank, not much fun to get to. To get the old one off, use a chisel and knock the tab off of the bottom of the switch from underneath, then pull the switch up off of the crossmember, then unhook the wire. Installation is easier, hook the wire up, push the tab of the switch into the crossmember.

Reactions: 1 users