Help with the injection pump of a Kubota D950

txgp17

Equipment
Onan 7.5DKDFJ generator with a Kubota D950 engine
Nov 20, 2013
Kernersville, NC, USA
Advice needed from the gurus on this site. And may I express my gratitude in advance,

So I own this Onan 7.5DKDFJ generator, powered by a Kubota D950 3-cylinder engine. I purchased it about 10 years ago, and after having the injection pump rebuilt locally, it ran like a sewing machine. The unit had about 450 hours on it when this was done.

Fast forward 10 years, and it's been sitting inside my shop. Under cover, no direct sunlight, but NOT climate controlled. I decided I should sell it because I just won't have a need for it.

A few weeks back, I hook it up to a battery, check the oil and slap a fresh fuel filter on it. It turns over, but no fuel was coming out of the overflow line. I investigate and find that the 12-volt lift pump is dead. I order a OEM replacement from Facet, and slap it on. The new lift pump works great. So I open the bleeder screw on the injection pump until fuel comes out. Then turn it over, and nothing.

So then I "crack" and injection line open to if fuel it making it to the injectors, and I find nothing.

Today, I removed the glow plugs to make it easier to turn over. Then removed all the injection lines completely. When the engine spins, nothing comes out of any of the three injector discharges on top of the pump, but low pressure fuel is still making it through the bypass/return line to the fuel tank.

-The unit has not been run but about 1 or 2 hours since the pump was last rebuilt. But it's sat for 10 years.
-The lift pump is sending a strong pressure to the injection pump, if I crack the bleeder screw while the pump is running, the fuel "streams" out into the air a little.
-The fuel solenoid if pulling back hard to give it full fuel.
-The fuel I'm using is clean and fresh.

Can y'all tell me what my next step is? I'm guessing an injection pump rebuild is in my future, but I'm hoping there's a way around that.

Attachments

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I heard something about a "rack" that gets hung up on those things....think they can be unstuck but am not sure about it...maybe look up stuck rack, etc on a search engine ???? Good Luck