help with new loader on l245dt

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
I just bought a model 1200 loader for my l245dt. It was peviously on an l285 2 wheel drive. It came with the manual , but the manual is mainly for operation. Now that I have it home the bracket that bolts under the clutch housing looks like it won't fit because of the driveshaft also from the pics i've seen it doesn't have any type of bracket that goes back to the rear axle. Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
GS I think you are right, its from an older tractor and just won't bolt up per say. I wouldn't modify anything on the loader super structure for fear of fatigue stress risers occurring once it's put back in service. Kubota's newer L series loaders all use a vertical standard system welded to a thick channel weldment that completely crosses under the transmission housing bolted into the frame rails for a super rigid beam that neutralizes torsional moment created from the torque tube as the bucket reaches max dump angle. Older cast transmissions were heavy gray iron, but would still crack under tensile stress in boss areas where homemade brackets were bolted to hold attachments on that changed the point loading from compression to stress ( tensile) from the weight of the load in the bucket. Bucket Breakout force is beyond our discussion and would require stress gauges to capture deformity caused with tractability. I know this sounds like a bunch BS but modifying a non-engineered attachment can break tractor parts and ultimately get you hurt ( serious injury ). Please consider getting a certified welder who understands strength of material, mechanics of materials and point loading stress before modifing this loader to retrofit to your L245 all wheel drive tractor. ;)

Last edited:

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Thanks guys, I have been measuring all mounting points this week. It looks like the original trans bracket will work with some modification. I happen to work in a field where I know lots of certified welders , and if anything I will overbuild the brackets.

Thanks, Eric

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Eric I like your plans but consider the overall weight placed on the front axle too when you are "beefing" up the attachment points. I like to fully load a bucket ( with fines like sand) for a load test after a range of lift test. Compare your weighted test on a certified scale for accuracy, get factory specs for your L245 equipped with a loader and compare the results. If you are greater than 110% of factory engineered weights for the recommend loader for the L245, have a professional engineer ( structural PE) run the numbers for load moments just to era on the safe side of the modification please. :) I know guys will tell you the resistance or weight of the load in the bucket will cause the lift cylinders to go over relief long before deformation but you have modified that factory setting with the induction of a larger loaded capacity :cool: Get some picture as you go for a continued post for all of us to see please....:)

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
OB1, I hope you don't think I'm crazy for installing this FEL. This is the loader that was factory installed , the problem is that this one in particular was installed on an l285. I have found a guy near my house with this FEL [ model 1200 ] on an l245dt . So the wieght shouldn't be a problem. I have measured his and mine and its the same , the brackets however are not. On the 285 they must not have needed the subframe between the tranny bracket and the rear axle. Maybe because the 285 is a longer tractor , so it dispursed the load better. I have seen many pictures of l245dt's for sale with FEL , and they all look the same . One other thing I'd like to ask is that this one I bought came with a front pump and its own resevoir. Do you think I should use it ? Also if I don't do I plug the holes where the hoses on my current FEL come off the top of the tranny , or do those ports need to be looped.

Captjack

Jun 30, 2009
Centreville,Md
I have a l234 and it is plumbed to the rear. It does not have a remote tank.

I upgraded to the northern tool single lever controller valve - nice upgrade in my book.

The 1200 is a good littler loader

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
OB1, I hope you don't think I'm crazy for installing this FEL. This is the loader that was factory installed , the problem is that this one in particular was installed on an l285. I have found a guy near my house with this FEL [ model 1200 ] on an l245dt . So the wieght shouldn't be a problem. I have measured his and mine and its the same , the brackets however are not. On the 285 they must not have needed the subframe between the tranny bracket and the rear axle. Maybe because the 285 is a longer tractor , so it dispursed the load better. I have seen many pictures of l245dt's for sale with FEL , and they all look the same . One other thing I'd like to ask is that this one I bought came with a front pump and its own resevoir. Do you think I should use it ? Also if I don't do I plug the holes where the hoses on my current FEL come off the top of the tranny , or do those ports need to be looped.

GS are you saying the loader has a PTO driven pump? I think I'm missing something here? :confused: What Cap says is okay for power beyond but you will still need a loader valve for at least five functions (Bucket float included) using a remote single valve will only provide fluid in and out to a loader valve. in other words take some pictures of what you are up to :D

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
OB1, The loader I got came with a pump that bolts to the front of the tractor. It bolts right on the front loader bracket and has a flexible shaft that slides over the splines on the front of the crankshaft. So if I install that pump I won't ever tax the factory pump on the engine that runs the 3-point and also won't be using diff oil in the hydro for the loader. I have the 2 lever valves with the FEL. I've been taking lots of pics , but haven't had time to post .
Thanks, Eric

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Great I'd use the front pump and keep the chance of Transmission contamination down. I can't wait to see those picture come on man give them up! I bet you there are a hundred guys reading these post waiting to see them....:D

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
okay I i'm not a big computor guy. I have been trying to upload pics for several days and it seems no matter how I resize them I can't get them to go . Any ideas ?

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
We all like pics here. :D Thanks for posting those. Looks like you have a nice tractor there.:)

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
GS when you get it all plumbed up show some pictures of the PTO area coupling and the position the hydraulic tank mounts in please. This is a rare project that needs documented. Looks like there is plenty of room for this set up with the width of that front axle. :D

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Her are some pics of the tranny bracket that was on the L295 . It had no subframe to connect to the rear axle , so I fabbed it up .Also here is a photo of the front PTO coupler that attaches to the lower pulley, and a close up of the pump with the driveshaft.

Attachments

Last edited:

cstempert

Equipment
L185DT-L1730FEL -Woods L59 , Kubota plow blade, Case 220 w/ snowblower / blade /mower / Cyclone rake
Jun 30, 2009
Wolcott, CT
GSD,

I have a part and operator manual for the L1700 FEL. Someone wrote "same as 1200" on the front of both and the pics posted of the uprights look the same less the hyd reservoir. There's also parts breakdown of the aux pump.

No mention of the mounting brackets in the manuals, except that the unit fits on: L175, L185, L235, L235DT, L275, L275DT, L225, L225DT, L245,and L245DT

If you want a scan of the manuals, let me know and I'll email them as they will be too big to post here.

Attachments

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's amasing how close GS's weldment looks like that picture in your operators manual. :eek: Mother of invention is the Father of necessity :D
This is really turning out to be a cost effective project and the components look pretty good for their age.....;) I haven't seen one of those flex shafts in years and yours looks almost perfect :)

spen

Equipment
L245DT
Dec 30, 2013
Saint Cloud,Fla.
I was reading one of the threads you had posted and you mentioned that you had the operating manuals for The L1700/1200 FEL. I realize you posted this years ago but I was wondering if you still had them.I recently got one for my L245Dt and I have been unable to tarck the manuals down.I would be glad to pay for the copies.
Thanks Steve

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
I am glad to see I am not the only one viewing a 5 year old post. The front pump connection is different then mine which I just remanufactured. Factory one lasted 34 years this new one needs to last 20.