Help with auger

Jasper2018

Equipment
Kubota L3130. LA723 FEL, L3901 HST, LA525, bush hog rotary cutter,
May 25, 2021
Florida
We recently purchased 20 acres that I need to perimeter fence with 4 row wire. Finally convinced wife that a auger is needed.
What I am looking for are recommendations for a good quality auger.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I've only helped with a 3 point auger. It was a bigone on a 75HP tractor.

After nearly killing ourselves while hooking it up after we unchained it from the fence, it dug a big hole. But it was crooked and we had to dig alot by hand.

Messicks has some videos of front loader augers that have actual down pressure compared to a 3 point.

In my limited experience I wouldn't buy an auger. Rent, borrow, or rent a skid steer.. 20 acres with 4 wire- assuming it's a square- doesn't sound to bad if it's barbed with T posts most of the way. My neighbor is doing 6 miles of fence, and has a gas t post driver thing.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Although nowhere near the size of your project I had really good luck with a no name beat up 3 point phd I picked up on Craigslist years ago. I put in 100 4X4's in the woods for a dog fence. They are set 36"-42" deep just in the dirt. I had a 12" extension made for it. No easy feat with all the CT rocks and the roots from the trees.
I ended up selling it when I was through for what I paid for it.

That said just a year ago I found a Landpride PD15 in 'like new' condition for $700 with a 6" auger. TSC had a 12" auger that I used for putting in about 60 large plants.

It's a great tool when you need it. I would guess your soil in FL will be a whole lot easier to drill than up here.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I had so many problems with my old 3pt auger that I sold it years ago. Basically it spent more time stuck in the hole that it did drilling.

I have moved on to a hydraulic unit that no longer gets stuck. More power, more control and REVERSE.

In FL, you will probably be OK on the stuck part being all sand.

boston-post-1.jpg