Help! Please

csaturno

Jul 29, 2017
Hamburg
I am in the following dilemma:

I was set on a JD x738 or x758 for mowing and blowing 54 Inch deck

Then I started looking at the GR 2120

I currently have a 61 inch Great dane zero turn and a walk behind blower.

I am VERY particular about the mowing quality/ the great dane zero turn is 14 years old and leaves lines in lawn like it has a stripe kit.

Its getting old and I want something new so I looked at JD x 738 / x758 with 54 inch deck- I wont be able to fit 60 insh deck in my fence ( my mower is a true 61 inch and it barely fits super tight- Kubota 60 inch is like 63.5 inch

The new JD is 15,500 and 16 ,400 for diesel plus tax so I looked at the BX 2380 with 54 inch deck and 50 inch blower for 16,400

I feel the 2380 is much more of a machine then the x7 series.
So now I am thinking going that route- I HATE the foot pedals on Kubota. But I like everything else. Will the 54 inch deck be ok on the 2380?? For the 2 grand difference I want the bigger motor for snow so no BX 1880

How is the deck cut quality on the 54 inch deck??? CUT quality is very important to me as I am anal about it. I dont care about FEL- I dont need it and if I did I can add it down the road. Any insight is MUCH appreciated!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Grass cutting is all about several things ....
sharpness of blades, speed of blades and maybe the most important part - the alignment of the deck relative to the ground. A deck out of whack will cut like sht no matter how good the blades are ....

reason I mention this - your old zero turn, deck suspended? or floating on wheels?

The BX will cut anything you have as nice as you have cut in the past too. THE one part of the BX that you need to start to see as a huge advantage is the 3 point and the potential FEL. You say you dont need the FEL .....unless you have a very small yard, the cost of owning a FEL is ....priceless ONCE you use it!

AS for the pedals..........those that are rocker style are more intuitive to use, that is ONCE you use them, pedals side by side are simply what someone used FIRST and now have a muscle memory as being "correct"

IF you decide on the BX - I think you will find it to be a great cutting machine, it will do more than you can ever imagine - and will cut your grass excellent if all setting are correct to your needs.

Comparing the JD x738 to the BX....is like comparing a YUGO to a TESLA !!!!!

The BX is NOT a lawn mower........the JD x738 is a nice lawn mower, the BX is a hellva lot more the a "lawn mower" when looking at all the things it can do vs the JD. The Kubota GR series is somewhat closer to the x738.......

so when you decide if you want more than just cutting grass, the BX will fill the bill, the BX is going to cost more ......up front that is .....then after you use the 3 point or the FEL, you'll see what I am talking about.

On another note.....your old Great dane was a gasser - you will find out the diesel is in a different ball park when it comes to pure torque and efficiency.

BUT>>>>>> IF you ONLY want to cut grass, the GR series is an excellent grass cutter too.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The quality of your cut is based on the quality of your yard. Not that you are interested, but I have a rear growing mower (pro) which leaves no visible clippings behind and cuts every bit as well as my Cub Cadet. As far as your purchase, buy what you are comfortable with. Most here are true die hard Kubota fans as myself.
It's likely your Zero turn has a bent blade or spindle, both which are fixable.
If you are happy with the way it was get if fixed and keep it. Spend your money on a blower and be done with it.
If you need a tractor for other jobs then get one. But it's your money.
I own a Kubota and if I ever buy another tractor it will be another Kubota....but a bigger one.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Just for cutting grass and snow blowing I wouldn't rule out the bx1880 either. I replaced my JD with one and it has done everything I have asked it to and never lacked for power. I have the front end loader,mmm and four ft bush hog.
I have no regrets in getting the 1880 and I am sure it would blow snow as well.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
My little older 15HP BX with the Mid Mount Mower and FEL installed cuts grass beautifully! Just amazed at the quality of cut! As posted earlier, the blades must be sharp and the deck mounted properly. (Cutting high grass in super humidity or after a rain at 7MPH, etc will show some tire flattened uncut grass). I must say my 54" MMM cuts nice even at higher speeds BUT...........like all mowing machines, you can't do high speed bank-turns and expect a nice cut at those turn points. I slow it down and do the turn much slower if my grass is high then once straightened, put the pedal down.
Your zero turn was gas so you WILL find that you don't need near the horse power with a diesel. 18 horses in a BX would do a great job for you and at less $$$ at purchase time. The BX will give you many options if you so need or want them verses your zero-turn and the JD tractor. Wise posts worth heeding previous to mine.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I cant add much more than what was already said, with exception to buying the kubota BX23S i have right now... once you own a kubota, you`ll never look at a mexican made john deere again. I saved $4,000 dollars by buying the kubota over the john deere.

I`ve owned JD`s for 30+yrs, i will never buy a JD again. This new kubota dosent use nearly the diesel fuel that my JD gas tractor does. I use 6 gallons of gas to mow my yard... the kubota uses LESS than a gallon, IF i`m lucky. I have the 60inch mmm on my BX, it cuts perfect... and i am VERY a-n-a-l about my yard and how it looks.

If it were me, i wouldn`t buy a tractor without a FEL after owning this BX23S. It is amazing how much work you`ll find for that FEL to do without even thinkin about it. I dont know how i ever managed this many years without a FEL for as long as i had.

And JD uses the yanmar diesel in their tractors, kubota uses their own diesel engines, unless you buy one of those tiny little wal-mart type gas engine type kubota`s.

OP... buy the kubota, you`ll be very glad you did. And i would get the FEL on it right now. If you dont, its going to cost you alot more money to add it on later.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
I thought only kubota sold kubota !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk