Help L3800 Starter Issue

JVdirtworks

Equipment
L3800
Aug 25, 2014
San Diego
Hey Guys I've had a issue with my new L3800 starter thats been getting worse. I know its not the safety switches i.e.. HST, seat, PTO, ... the symptoms are the starter turns over and sounds like its engaging the flywheel but slipping (Loud Clicking).. I inspected the flywheel and the starter gear but there is no damage to either. I have had the battery tested as well as the starter bench tested, both passed. I think the appendix spring is not pushing the gear out far enough but not sure. Can anyone help me out with this or has had the same issue.
Thanks

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Clicking sounds like the solenoid. Bendix would be grinding. I'd still put in a battery, despite the bench test.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
From another thread...

My problem is the alternator is not charging the battery back up -OR, despite cleaning the battery terminals twice, current is not making it to the starter in sufficient quantities. I get the chattering relay or Bendix sound on the first start of the morning unless I leave the battery on a tender over night.

Even after running the tractor above 1000 rpm for over half an hour, I still got the "chatter" the next day after a night with no tender charging.

The dealer says my alternator is putting out fine and my battery checks out OK. I have cleaned the terminals and greased them and am now wondering if the starter relay has bad contacts.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have found that batteries can cause some really strange things to happen. I have replace several batteries that check good and solved my problem.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
New battery: That is where I am headed. This tractor sat idle for six months after the accident.

JVdirtworks

Equipment
L3800
Aug 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks guys. The reason why I still think its the starter is I can run the tractor for hours at a time and the same issue and after having the battery on a charger all night. The problem has been getting been progressively worse. So the contacts can just be getting more worn?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Is there a starter relay on the 3800 or is that incorporated in the starter itself?

I may be going this route if the battery is found to not be the issue...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Connect a booster cable from negative post to a starter mounting bolt and try it. Your description tells me bad ground or bad battery. Easy enough to get battery LOAD tested, as some places use digital testers and they are all worthless. A proper load test will tell you go or no go. Or stick anoter battery in it

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Set the brake,

Jump from large lug on starter to small spade, see if that makes a difference.

From the lug on the starter is direct battery voltage, no switches, harness or connections to go thru to weaken the path from the key switch.

If this makes a difference, try the relay suggestion in the Click Click thread http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917

It's cheap, and easy to do and undo ( no permenant alterations made to tractor )

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Your statement of, "...I still think its the starter is I can run the tractor for hours at a time and the same issue and after having the battery on a charger all night." does not necessarily indicate the battery is 'good'.

High probability the battery is bad and won't take / hold a charge, regardless of leaving a charger on it.

Agree with other poster that 'digital' battery load testers are generally worthless at finding any problem other than an internal dead short.

Rob a known good battery from another vehicle and install it into tractor and try it. Simply jumping from another vehicle may not be sufficient unless you completely bypass the existing tractor battery by disconnecting at least one cable.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Update: Dropped a nifty new Interstate 770 Cranking Hour battery into the beast and the issue remains. I have checked the battery cables and they are clean and appear securely attached. It only seems to "CLACK" on the first starts of the morning.

Gotta be the Bendix or a relay if there is one. The noise is coming from the starter side of the tractor. Will report back as I get further along. It was not the battery.

roadracer86

Equipment
2012 ZD331, 2012 L3800, 2014 GL11000
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Update: Dropped a nifty new Interstate 770 Cranking Hour battery into the beast and the issue remains. I have checked the battery cables and they are clean and appear securely attached. It only seems to "CLACK" on the first starts of the morning.

Gotta be the Bendix or a relay if there is one. The noise is coming from the starter side of the tractor. Will report back as I get further along. It was not the battery.
I realize this an old post but my L3800 is starting to do the same clanking noise out of the starter. Did you get yours sorted CaveCreekRay?

If so what was the issue and the subsequent repair since I think mine is doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Eric,

BAD EVIL SAFETY SWITCH ON HST PEDAL!!!

No kiddin!

The HST pedal has a limit switch to prevent the engine from starting with the least bit FWD or REV pedal selected. My dealer readjusted the limits out quite a bit. NO MORE PROBLEMMO! The switches are under the right lower console area.

Its so dang nice, I can move the machine slightly from the ground. Yesterday, I was slinging my 900 lb tiller onto a new cart I made for it. Getting the tractor forward another four inches is easy by slight pedal pressure. The tractor moves about an inch a second. Its super handy as long as you stay out of the way of the rear tire! (SAFETY ALERT!!!)

Open up your HST pedal switch range. And lube your pedal to get it centering better. Let me know how that works.

Zero re-occurence since they did the adjustment 18 mos ago.

Ray

Last edited:

roadracer86

Equipment
2012 ZD331, 2012 L3800, 2014 GL11000
Aug 19, 2012
New Bloomfield PA
Thanks for the quick reply Ray. I'll check mine today and adjust as necessary. I'm hoping it isn't the starter or worse yet the flywheel. it acts like the battery is weak like it doesn't have enough amps to crank the motor.

I load tested the battery which checked out good and its putting out 14.3 volts at idle so its not the charging system.

I have the shop manual so ill read up on the switch; thanks again! :D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
As I said, they adjusted mine. Those who have done it say its fairly easy to do.

Yeah... its sounds for all the world like some battery or starter problem.

Easy fix though.

Ray

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
You will never have that problem again. Drove you crazy didn't it? Meetoo.

:)