Headlight replacement B2400

fcrane

Equipment
b2400
Apr 2, 2011
franklin,nc
Somewhat disappointed in the original headlights on my B2400. Front bucket interferes with lights sometimes and original bulbs leave much to be desired. Are there any replacement LED bulbs that might fit or anyone replace the entire headlight assembly?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your headlights are just like the rest of them then NO there is no LED replacement, and there is no better headlight assembly that makes the lights better.
The best you can do is add on LED lights to your tractor like the rest have done.

fcrane

Equipment
b2400
Apr 2, 2011
franklin,nc
I was pretty sure that would be the case but thought maybe something came out to replace oem type bulbs. Already replaced the rear work light and will add LED lights to ROPS. Thanks for input.

Peppysan

Equipment
B7800, BX75
Feb 18, 2014
Okotoks, Canada
Let me throw this out there. I found the same problem with my B7800 and those weak bulbs they use. I like LED lighting and came across these LED Units "MR16" Indoor Floods, rated 3.5watt @12v and 185 Lumens, they were about $6ea. Although worth noting on the back of the module it states it is "Suitable for Damp Locations", which I think behind the grill and under the hood would be less than damp.
Now I realize these are not direct replacement units but what the heck, let's face it the originals just don't cut it so not much to lose. I did this some time ago and took a few pictures which better show the process but I will dialogue it below.
I removed the complete reflector/s from the tractor and discarded the original blub and socket. - NO GOING BACK NOW - Next I took a hole saw, just slightly smaller in diameter then what the LED unit is, and cut right through the back of the housing.
Next I drilled a pair of holes (1/16"dia) around the opening at every quadrant.
Using some stainless wire make just a simple tie for each pair of holes. The new light module is made with heat sink fins (openings) all around the circumference, which makes this easy. "Twist Tie" the module over the hole you made in the reflector at all four positions. It's not exactly aerospace but for a tractor it works.
Now to connect it up, having clipped off the original bulb socket just strip back the wire, slip on some heat shrink and solder the wires directly to the pins of the LED Module. Make note of the polarity, if I remember it is relevant to these modules. That's it, only really takes maybe 10 minutes per headlight to do this mod. Made quite a difference in light output and still looks stock (on the outside). I didn't use any glue or sealant on the bulb as if they ever needed to be replaced just clip the ties and replace the module.

(See next post for more pictures)

Attachments

Last edited:

Peppysan

Equipment
B7800, BX75
Feb 18, 2014
Okotoks, Canada
Just to also point out that the LED Module states on the back that it is "Suitable for Damp Locations" which I think behind the grill and under the hood qualifies.
So more pictures. Sorry but I didn't happen to take a picture to show the difference between the original light output vs the new LED light, but trust me it is substantial and far better than what was there.

Attachments

Ltsaraw8

Equipment
B7800
Sep 23, 2015
Petaluma, CA
Hey Peppysan,

Just read this post... brilliant buddy (no pun intended) I'm an electrical neophyte.. tell me about this polarity thing,,:)

Regards,
Sara

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
That's nice now I just have to find a replacement for the rectangular ones on my B6200.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey Peppysan,

Just read this post... brilliant buddy (no pun intended) I'm an electrical neophyte.. tell me about this polarity thing,,:)

Regards,
Sara
Sara,

the best way to explain this - with incandescent lights (filament type), the electrons come in and heat up the little piece of metal till it glows red hot and give off lights as a by product of the heat. It doesnt matter which way the electron flows.

With LED - the flow MUST be in one direction ONLY - in the simplest terms, as an electron flow from one point to the other "hole" is accomplished - a small amount of light is given off, as distance of the flow to hole increases the small amount of light given off.

An old fashion light bulb will get hot and emit light at a wide range of electrons pressures (volts) and electron flow (amps) - where a LED is very specific - it need a certain one of each V - A , they are very sensitive to both.

Bottom line, if you hook up an LED light "backwards" - not only will it NOT light, but typically will never light again! You burn up the little stuff inside:D

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Bottom line, if you hook up an LED light "backwards" - not only will it NOT light, but typically will never light again! You burn up the little stuff inside:D
MR16's don't have a marked anode/cathode they must compensate in the lamp. I can light a 12v MR16 with a 9v battery in either direction. I know when I add an LED to say an effects pedal I have to be aware of anode/cathode connection usually with a small resistor in line.