Head light blues

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So, I have an 09 GMC Sierra. Had it for 2 years now, and on my 3rd set of headlight bulbs for it. First time they went out, I was just leaving the house. I'll be dipped, if they both didn't fail within a few seconds of each other :eek: Part that stunk, I was half way to work in the dark when it happened. Thankfully the truck has fog lights, so I was able to kick them on, plus the flashers and get to work, and not have to pull over and wait for daylight.

7 months later, had the left one go out again. Picked up a pair of bulbs, swapped the one out, and left the other one in the console just in case. Couple days later, I was swapping the right side out. :rolleyes:

So, this morning I started the truck, and the bloody left bulb went out again. :rolleyes:

Tried bulb grease, mid grade bulbs, and high grade bulbs. Truck does have day time running lights and the auto on feature for the lights.

Any ideas of the cause? Or are they not making lights like they used too? :rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Brother Daren,

As you know - got same year truck .....my left side went out after I got the truck year or two back - had to get wife to get new bulb back in, my hands too damn big! AND I was not taking all that crap off to get to bulb.

Had a Chevy trailblazer (2002) ate bulbs like skittles .......finally replaced the wire lead to the socket, that seemed to work for a while.

Seems like they place the smallest wire possible ...and it doesnt last!

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
My wife's Subaru was the same way. Don't know how many times I replaced the bulbs. The only problem - the "correct" way to get to the bulb required an additional joint in your arm so you can contort the right way. Total PIA to change the bulbs, both high and low.
Last year I was swapping out bulbs, yet again, when the clip that holds the bulb in the assembly broke. :( Jury rigged something, only to have the bulb fail within a month. Then in Feb the other side went out while driving home, like you she had to use the fog lights.
I ordered a new assembly to replace the broken one and then replaced both high and low beam bulbs with LED. Going on 2 months now with LED's and she loves them so much better than the regular bulbs. Time will tell if they last longer than the bulbs.

It was actually faster for me to remove the bumper, then remove the headlight assembly to change the bulbs than it is to do it the "recommended way".

LED's are more expensive, but should last longer.

Funny story, when I ordered the first set of LED bulbs for her car the wrong ones came in. The company agreed it was Amazon's fault and asked me to destroy the bulbs (cut the wires) and they would credit my card. I did cut them, then found out they would fit my truck. Fortunately I know how to use a solder iron and I have weather proof heat shrink. :cool:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are you being careful to not touch the bulbs with your bare hands? The natural oils on our skin gets on the bulbs and cause them to burn out quickly.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Brother Hokie, I've invented some new cuss words replacing the left side headlight :p Usually end up with semi permanent indents in my hand to get down to where I can twist the bulb. Wife's not strong enough to get them to pop loose :rolleyes:

BAP, I will cover the bulb in a tissue, paper towel, rag, ect..... while handling them bulbs.

Mtmoriahfarm

Equipment
M8540,BX24,Takeuchi tb235
Feb 16, 2017
Rhode Island
For my personal trucks I've always had GMC heavy duty with diesels never had an issue with the headlights. My last few patrol trucks at work were GMC 1500 and they all had headlight issues. I always carried extra bulbs. The left sides were always an issue. I had the sockets replaced and it seamed to solve the problem.

Homestead

Mar 6, 2013
Sundre, Alberta
Some GM trucks have a problem with not delivering a full voltage to the headlights. It seems to be hit and miss amongst the years.

Check your voltages at the bulb itself. You can run your headlights through relays. Not only will you get full voltage, they will be brighter to boot.

It's mostly just checking connections and grounds and GM's have a lot of grounds in their electrical systems.

I have a 2006 Silverado, owned it since new and it has the original GM supplied bulbs it was built with. It gets used everyday, has daytime running lights and auto headlights to boot. Right off the bat, I relayed the headlights and never looked back.

Another trick is to NOT run the fancy Silverstar or other expensive brand bulbs. Yes, they put out supposedly more light but the life expectancy is way way less than your average bulb. Drive your lights at proper voltage and they will perform just as well as the expensive ones.

I played with headlights for years on many many projects and friends vehicles and regular bulbs and relays always come out on top

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Brother Hokie, I've invented some new cuss words replacing the left side headlight :p Usually end up with semi permanent indents in my hand to get down to where I can twist the bulb. Wife's not strong enough to get them to pop loose :rolleyes:

BAP, I will cover the bulb in a tissue, paper towel, rag, ect..... while handling them bulbs.
FYI "tissue" has oils in it.

I use cotton gauze like for bandages.

RAY

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nitrile gloves will keep you from "oiling" the bulbs.

I have a 09 GMC Sierra, I haven't had to mess with the lights at all, but I will say that truck has the brightest lights I've ever had on a truck, nice and crisp on low and you can see for a mile on High.
I'll have to dive into it and see if someone put HID's in it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nitrile gloves will keep you from "oiling" the bulbs.

I have a 09 GMC Sierra, I haven't had to mess with the lights at all, but I will say that truck has the brightest lights I've ever had on a truck, nice and crisp on low and you can see for a mile on High.
I'll have to dive into it and see if someone put HID's in it.
I think if you had the HID's you would know it without looking. ;) My Sierra has great headlights when they are working. :rolleyes: Lows are good and bright, HI beam you can see for about a mile with it. And yes, was quite surprised when I bought mine on how bright the lights were.

The latest service trucks at work are coming with the HID's. On mine, you can see for about 3/4 of a mile to a mile on low beams. Hi beams aren't much of a change. Just makes the view crisper. The big tell, is p#ssing off everyone off that you encounter with just your low beams on. I actually turned the headlight angle down a little more, when I got pulled over for blinding a cop :eek:

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Got an '07 Sierra and changed both bulbs out about 6 months apart in probably '11 or '12 and that's it. Now I'll probably have to change them again soon.

The low beam lights are the daytime lights also so they are on all the time.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Picked up a set of theses to try. Past couple replacements were Sylvania bulbs. So hit a different auto parts store and tried a set of Phillips bulbs. Got the higher end ones with brighter light and supposed to last longer.

Swapped both bulbs out and kept the one that was still good as a spare. So we'll see how they hold up :D:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Picked up a set of theses to try. Past couple replacements were Sylvania bulbs. So hit a different auto parts store and tried a set of Phillips bulbs. Got the higher end ones with brighter light and supposed to last longer.

Swapped both bulbs out and kept the one that was still good as a spare. So we'll see how they hold up :D:D

Daren,

what those bulbs cost ya?
And tell me how you like em once installed:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren,

what those bulbs cost ya?

And tell me how you like em once installed:)

Ran about $20 each. Company discount :D normally $25. I take full advantage of the company accounts, then pay cash ;)

So far, I like them. Nice bright and clear going to work this morning. Hopefully they last a little longer then the others. Was gonna look into LED's, but couldn't find the replacements in town.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN

Don't expect long life out of those. Any bulb that says it has more light output means that it has shorter life. The only way to get more light out of a halogen bulb is to make the filament burn hotter. Hotter filament doesn't last as long as a standard one.

When you swap them out, check the plug. GM had a problem with the contacts being loose causing low voltage to the bulbs and making them burn out prematurely.

Homestead

Mar 6, 2013
Sundre, Alberta
Don't expect a long life out of these. The biggest problem with these higher end "brighter" bulbs is that they are build to a lower voltage spec and then essentially over driven when run on a standard 13.6/14 volt system.
That's where the heat comes from, lots of it. Watch your plug especially and if you sit idle with the lights on, you can run into bigger heat problems with your headlight housings.
Yeah they put a much brighter light but at a huge cost of longevity.
Played with all of these bulbs over the years and still the best bang for the buck is a good quality standard bulb and a couple of relays.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Sore subject with me. My neighbor-who is also a good customer-has an '08 Silverado, same issue. He bought it to me to check out, and everything checked out fine-resistance in the wiring, voltage drop test, etc. I saw no issues. I put a set of bulbs in and sent him down the road, with the warning that I am seeing that this is a common complaint-with the GM headlight bulbs dying prematurely and often. For reference, I have a 2003 F250, 4x4. It still has the original bulbs in it. 2004 Mustang also, this little car has 333,000 miles and it too still has the original bulbs. Neither has DRL. Yes I drive at night, a lot actually.

The '08 Silverado-he at first thought I was doing something wrong. I replaced the left bulb and left the right side alone initially, upon his request. Gave him the other new bulb. Week later he's out there putting in the right bulb as it was dead. Then it died seems like a few months went by, that's when I got it. This is unacceptable for headlight bulbs to fail as often as they do. I see these trucks all over the place and a lot of them have a light out, or both in some cases (driving with fog lamps only). Then I see them with those stupid HID drop in bulb kits which are absolute garbage. They last longer but the light is scattered horribly; and oncoming drivers-especially those of us in cars (not trucks) are totally blind, even after they pass. There is so much scattered light that it's like looking at a welder for a few seconds; and of course after they pass you have to adjust again. Dangerous if you ask me; and they should be illegal. Even some of the new cars/trucks with the projector LED headlights are too intense-and they come that way. But I suppose the drivers of those vehicles can see just fine. So for those idiots that can't drive without turning off the high beams, I put a 20" Rigid LED bar in the grill opening of my truck, and you get one warning before I turn it on to see the retinas of your eyeballs briefly before you either look away, cover them with your hands, or blink.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lugbolt, wife was complaining about her headlights last year. Were really dim and she was having trouble seeing at night. Picked up one of the lense cleaner kits from the auto parts store. And some new bulbs with better output.

Come to find out, the projector headlights were an option for her car. Found that out when I went to buy the bulbs. Guy behind the counter asked if her car took two or one bulb. Said I wasn't sure, but had to ask why?? He said you better sit down before I give you the price on the single bulb. :eek: Bulb for the projector headlights were $78 a piece :eek::eek: Then went up from there. Checked her car that night, and hers took the two bulbs per side. So I was able to get both bulbs for less then one of the others :D

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
I bought a Legacy wagon new in '05. The bulbs were burning out every 2 or 3 months. I kept taking it to the dealer, and they just kept sticking new bulbs in, no charge.

Of course I started asking questions after the second bulb burned out and the car wasn't even six months old. The dealer gave me lip service about some problem in manufacturing or something, and the problem was found and corrected.

I pressed the issue when the car wasn't even a year old and they had replaced 10 headlight bulbs. I contacted Subaru America, and then the dealer had me bring the car in, they gave me a loaner and a couple days later gave me the car back.

Within 3 months I was back asking for another headlight bulb.

After the warranty expired dealer quit giving me free bulbs and free installation (go figure). And even though they had spent a small fortune keeping the lights on for me, they never would admit there is a problem with the design of the lighting system.

Talking with other mechanics for whom the work is more than a job we decided the problem lies with the amount of heat generated by today's high output halogen bulbs is too stressful on the filaments. Add to that the place the bulb lives is small, and not ventilated, and then there is the watertight cap that covers it all up.

The heat is killing the bulbs.

A couple years ago I solved the problem with the aftermarket LED bulbs. A set cost me about $200. Far less than I have spent on headlight bulbs since the dealer quit supporting my bulb habit.

I figure by now the savings over halogen bulbs since switching to LED has paid for them. Everything from here on out is free.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have been watching this with some interest. The only head lights I ever had to replace in my trucks was in my 04 Silverado first the low beams, boom and boom, the the high beams same thing. After the second set, I started checking grounds even the grounding strap to the hood. I cleaned up every one I could find, grease and re tightened, even found a couple that had rotted off and made new jumpers out of 12ga I had laying around. I replaced all my lights with Sylvania super brights they had 3 ranges I used the middle ones. I dont know if it was the lamps or the grounds but after that I didnt replace lamp until I got rid of the truck. I do know that after I chaced down the ground everything seemed to work better inside lights, blower, everything it may have been my imminagination but it seemed to help.
Just a thought:D