head gasket shim coating on M7950DT

Mountainman1

Equipment
M7950DT
Jun 14, 2020
Alberta
I am replacing the head gasket on my M7950Dt, head was shaved for minor warping. I was concerned about clearance for injectors/glow plugs/valves due to head being shaved but the local Kubota Part dept advised me that this engine was supposed to come with a head gasket shim in addition to the head gasket. When i had removed the head originally (had never been removed previously) it only had the factory gasket & no shim so I believe that using the shim at this time of reassembly will allow for the correct spacing BUT this type of head gasket should NOT be used with any type of additional coating but in my training years ago as a tech we were told to using coating on items such as metal head gaskets or shims, so what do you think? use it only on the head face of the shim or both side or none at all? too many years out of the field....

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Modern head gaskets are metal with o-ring or copper type seals around coolant and oil passages. Do not use any additional sealant on these gaskets. Even the older graphite based body gaskets should never be use with additional sealant. Now go back to the gaskets available in the '50s and '60s and they could use all the help they could get! Those gaskets designs are long gone.

Mountainman1

Equipment
M7950DT
Jun 14, 2020
Alberta
Modern head gaskets are metal with o-ring or copper type seals around coolant and oil passages. Do not use any additional sealant on these gaskets. Even the older graphite based body gaskets should never be use with additional sealant. Now go back to the gaskets available in the '50s and '60s and they could use all the help they could get! Those gaskets designs are long gone.
Yes I agree NOT to use any sealant on newer style head gaskets but what about the steel shim? primarily the cylinder head side?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, it's called a 'Spacer Plate'. Don't know about Kubota but Caterpillar uses them on most of their engines.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
training years ago as a tech we were told to using coating on items such as metal head gaskets or shims
Same here. Used a lot of K&W Copper Coat spray on SB Chevy steel shim gaskets. Everything today is different.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Ok. Don't think I understood your original question. Can you describe how the gasket and spacer work together. Example: are all the openings in the shim the same diameter & shape as the gasket or does the fire ring and other seals protrude thru the shim?