Handy spanner wrench for top link adjustment

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
As a woman and no genetics from Amazon women, I've always had difficulty trying to adjust the top link after I got an implement attached. Box blade is the worst and tiller a close second, although the plow can give some "backtalk." So, I found this adjustment tool for sale on ebay by someone who makes them. After I ordered, the delivery was very prompt and a "conversation" with the seller was pleasant and allowed me to ask some questions.

Well, today, I used this wrench for the first time when I attached the tiller. What a dream to adjust the tiller to get it level. For me, this thing is brilliant. Yes, I've used a pipe wrench; yes, I've put a screwdrive through the hole to try to turn...with very little success.

So, I wanted to post the ebay link here for anyone who may enjoy an easy way for implement adjustment. Plus, it's nice to buy from someone who has actually made something. It's the American way!

Tractor Gal

Reactions: 7 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
As a woman and no genetics from Amazon women, I've always had difficulty trying to adjust the top link after I got an implement attached. Box blade is the worst and tiller a close second, although the plow can give some "backtalk." So, I found this adjustment tool for sale on ebay by someone who makes them. After I ordered, the delivery was very prompt and a "conversation" with the seller was pleasant and allowed me to ask some questions.

Well, today, I used this wrench for the first time when I attached the tiller. What a dream to adjust the tiller to get it level. For me, this thing is brilliant. Yes, I've used a pipe wrench; yes, I've put a screwdrive through the hole to try to turn...with very little success.

So, I wanted to post the ebay link here for anyone who may enjoy an easy way for implement adjustment. Plus, it's nice to buy from someone who has actually made something. It's the American way!

Tractor Gal
Even better is,......a ratcheting top link.
I have one!

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Now what I do when I use my old turn buckle style, instead of my hyd top link, is to find that happy medium where there is no weight on the link, then turn it. You will need to play with the height control a bit to find that happy medium, but once you do, it should turn easy. That is as long as the top link it self turns freely.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hell yeah! I've been using an old box wrench. That looks easy enough to toss in the tool kit!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Each of my 3PH implements have their OWN top link BOLTED to them. Set once and done. Having to adjust each time for each implement is a huge waste of time for those implements that are a 'onetime' adjust
The other 4 tractors and 3 implements , I can easily interchange and NO adjustments are needed. Mix and match, 30 seconds to attach and go work the field.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada

Tractor Gal
It is a good idea. 👍

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
$

Tractor Gal
$20 well spent, enjoy😊

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I use a Chainlink fence panel clamp and a section of sch40 electrical conduit.
1000026223.jpg

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
Thank you for your endorsement Tractor Gal. I hope it serves you well!

Def lots of ways to skin a cat, especially on a farm. And there is a cost/benefit for every person's situation. But this tool is made for the job, and does it well.

Greg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thank you for your endorsement Tractor Gal. I hope it serves you well!

Def lots of ways to skin a cat, especially on a farm. And there is a cost/benefit for every person's situation. But this tool is made for the job, and does it well.

Greg
If you put a Snap On handle on the tool you can double your money and your sales. :ROFLMAO:

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
What helped for me was that when I got the top link adjusted to where I wanted it I would measure center to center of the pins on the top link.. Then paint or better yet stencil that measurement on the attachment somewhere.. For instance my 5' box blade, 6' back blade and 3pt snow blower all used the top link at 25 1/2" center to center.. When I went to change implements I would loosed the jam nut on the top link and set it to the correct length for the next implement as I was hooking it up..

Be sure to lengthen, shorten both ends of the top link the same as you adjust it..
Good luck..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can use the 3 pt to set the implement on the ground and then adjust the top link when there is no weight (pressure) causing the problem. Even if you have to pick the implement up to see if you have it adjusted as you desire it's simple and takes no time.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My adjustable wrench (for the top link lock-nut) handle works great for slipping into the adjuster bar loop handle as an adjustment lever. It adds plenty enough torque for adjusting implement-loaded links.
I have also started storing the wrench by first tightening the link with the adjuster loop extending horizontally sideways once tightened, either side, and simply dropping the wrench into the loop, handle-first. The wrench head can't pass through and it just dangles there and barring an extremely violent upwards thrust will not fall out and hasn't escaped from my 3-point once.

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
My adjustable wrench (for the top link lock-nut) handle works great for slipping into the adjuster bar loop handle as an adjustment lever. It adds plenty enough torque for adjusting implement-loaded links.
I have also started storing the wrench by first tightening the link with the adjuster loop extending horizontally sideways once tightened, either side, and simply dropping the wrench into the loop, handle-first. The wrench head can't pass through and it just dangles there and barring an extremely violent upwards thrust will not fall out and hasn't escaped from my 3-point once.
Handy storage solution :)

I found that I needed leverage on both the top link and jam nut to keep the jam nut from coming loose during operation, more than just hand tightening on one of them. Only needed to happen a couple times for me to want to work on a better solution.

The ability you mention of being able to adjust under load is a time saver for me. And if making big angle changes while working, I prefer not to have to repeatedly take load off the attachment.

Greg