Ground cover plants???

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Hey guys,

I just got finished weedeating my hillside and realized I'm getting too old to keep doing that forever. I'd like to plant some ground cover on there that will spread and kill out all the weeds and make a nice 3"-4" bed of flowers, vines, etc so I dont have to stand sideways every 2 weeks and kill my back.

Any ideas what kind of plant's i need to start looking at?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Part Shade? If so, pachysandra works very well.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Vinca, has blue flowers about now (in Michigan), but saw the other day that it is considered to be an invasive species, mine has certainly spread into places I don't want it. Pound in some kind of border around the area that you are trying to cover. But it does get the job done.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Creeping Juniper, I planted a bunch, it takes a bit to get established but then its good to go!

Location: Plant creeping juniper in a spot where it has room to spread. Also, make sure it will receive plenty of sun. Many people use it to fill in spaces in garden beds, along slopes in place of grass, or to drape over retaining walls. It will grow around rocks or other barriers, and is great for rock gardens or xeriscape (low water) landscaping.
Soil: This groundcover is not particularly picky about soil, but will do best in soil that drains well. They don***8217;t usually need extra organic matter or other soil amendments in order to thrive.
USDA Hardiness Zones: Creeping junipers do better in more northern zones, but will grow up to zone 9. Many are native to Alaska and central Canada.
Sunlight Requirements: These plants require full sun to thrive. If grown in the shade they won***8217;t look as vibrant, and won***8217;t reach their full spreading potential.
Watering: Juniper is classified as drought tolerant. It can survive in drier conditions. When first transplanting, take care to make sure it doesn***8217;t dry out for the first few weeks. After that, it should only need watering if you are receiving less than 1 inch of rainfall per week.
Fertilizer: Don***8217;t fertilize your juniper plant until it has been growing in its new permanent location for at least a full year. After that, you can use the same fertilizer you would use on other shrubs or trees. Do this in the fall.
Transplanting: Juniper, along with other evergreens, can be planted almost any time of year that the ground is not frozen. Spring or early fall are best. If you are digging up a plant to move somewhere else, you will need to dig up the entire plant, as well as any runners that have rooted. Unless the plant is fairly young, this may be a pretty big task. In most cases, you are better off purchasing a new plant from a nursery rather than trying to move an old one. If you have the patience, you can propagate your existing juniper plant from cuttings. This method will require waiting several years for a substantial plant to grow, however.
Diseases: Plants that appear to be yellowing may have a fungal infection. If you spot this problem, carefully trim away damaged parts of the plant right away. Sterilize whatever tool you use before using them elsewhere in the garden to avoid spreading disease.
Pests: Pests that may afflict creeping juniper are bagworms, spider mites, aphids, or leaf aphids. To control bagworms, remove any webbing or bags you may see growing on the plant. For other pests, use a pesticide that indicates it is safe for use on shrubs, and that specifically targets the problem insect.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If all else fails, landscape fabric and some lava rocks..... Just because the deer eat everything except the damn weeds...

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Thanks. I'll start looking into all these. The wildflower mix would make my wife happy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The wild flower mix will make the bee's happy too

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How about some Crown Vetch. Grows up to a foot or higher. State uses it around here on areas they can't mow along roadside. Has small seeds.