Greasy Mess

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
What type of grease do most of you use ? I have been using multi purpose black grease. Boy that stuff makes a mess. Oozes out all over. Thinking about switching to a clear high temp , high pressure grease.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I've been buying tubes of grease from Kubota. Good grease and it is high pressure too. Works great! I believe it was $3.50 per tube. Pretty much in line with most of the greases around here.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I've been buying tubes of grease from Kubota. Good grease and it is high pressure too. Works great! I believe it was $3.50 per tube. Pretty much in line with most of the greases around here.
Is it clear ? Or black ?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Others here may disagree but I tend to use the cheapest grease I can find on sale and buy a case or three at the time---with sales, rebates, Senior Days, tax exemptions, and my good looks I can get down into the $0.75 to$0.80 per tube range occasionally.

If you're greasing a backhoe and / or loader why use the expensive grease when you're reapplying once or twice a day? Can't see it's going to make a difference under those circumstances.

Front wheel spindles, a mower quill bearing, maybe steering, use a premium grease.

I keep multiple grease guns loaded and hanging in the machine shed, each labeled what it is. And within type, I keep one with a hose, one with a tube, one with a swivel fitting head. One gun just won't fit (as in 'access') every zerk on every machine. Pick up spare guns at garage sales for a buck each, stick in a fresh tube if suspicious due to age or other evidence, and start greasing.

Please post back your experiences and comments so we may all learn.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
The black grease is definitely a pain. It gets on things and doesn't want to come off. Hands are especially vulnerable. I only use it on my disc bearing because it is so cheap and the bearings use so much.

Everywhere else, red grease is used. I use TRC 880 but Lucas and several others make good grease. Even the Tractor Supply premium grease is red.

The red seems to come off easier but it is probably just that it can't be seen as well.

If I recall correctly, the Kubota grease is blue. (?) Maybe that is the waterproof grease.

Here is a forum thread that discusses HD grease:

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?40083-Best-grease

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Stubbyie... I thought i was the on ly one that did that stuff:rolleyes:

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
The black grease is definitely a pain. It gets on things and doesn't want to come off. Hands are especially vulnerable. I only use it on my disc bearing because it is so cheap and the bearings use so much.

Everywhere else, red grease is used. I use TRC 880 but Lucas and several others make good grease. Even the Tractor Supply premium grease is red.

The red seems to come off easier but it is probably just that it can't be seen as well.

If I recall correctly, the Kubota grease is blue. (?) Maybe that is the waterproof grease.

Here is a forum thread that discusses HD grease:

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?40083-Best-grease
Thank you for the link :)