Grease, Whats is everyone using?

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
My Toyota 4Runner 4x4 has a double cardan joint (constant velocity) in the main driveshaft that requires a molybdenum disulfide fortified grease so I use Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special series grease in every thing including the Kubota.

from the product literature.....
Mobilgrease XHP 222 and Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special are extra high performance lithium complex greases intended for a wide variety of applications and severe operating conditions. These greases were designed to outperform conventional products by applying leading edge, proprietary, lithium complex manufacturing technology. They are based on high quality paraffinic mineral oils and are manufactured and formulated to provide excellent high temperature performance with superb adhesion, structural stability and resistance to water contamination. These greases have a high level of chemical stability and offers excellent protection against rust and corrosion. The greases feature a high dropping point and maximum recommended operating temperature is 140ºC. Mobilgrease XHP 222 and Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special are NLGI grades 2 greases with base oil viscosity of ISO VG 220.

Mobilgrease XHP greases are designed for a wide range of applications including the industrial, automotive, construction and marine sectors. Their performance features make them an ideal choice for severe operating conditions including high temperature, water contamination, high loads and shock loading and extended re-lubrication operations.

Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special is an extreme pressure grease containing molybdenum disulphide that provides protection from wear under shock loads and fretting conditions. Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special is used in chassis components, clutch bearings, ball joints of suspension and steering systems in all kinds of passenger cars, trucks, farm tractors, contractor, construction, earth-moving and mobile equipment. It also finds application in king pins, U-joints, fifth wheels and bucket pins

Last edited:

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
If an application calls for a Moly fortified grease, use a moly fortified grease. I have seen what happens when you dont. surfaces start trading metal and dont last long after that. But, it is not the best grease for everything. No grease is best for everything.

Interesting info about grease compatibility here.. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I got them through a locat AMSOIL dealer aka, dirtbike shop.
Ryan -- any idea what size yours are for grease zerks? another good amazon search that turned up similar to your is "Rubber protective end caps" -- but many sizes... 3/8" and etc.

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
Ryan -- any idea what size yours are for grease zerks? another good amazon search that turned up similar to your is "Rubber protective end caps" -- but many sizes... 3/8" and etc.
I only got the grease from the shop, not the cap. BUT i do happen to have a zerk fitting on my desk, it is just a standard fitting and measures about .255" across the thick section.

These will probably be great https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Pack-Br...k-Fitting-Cap-Rubber-Dust-Cover-/111903200961

OrangeJoe

Equipment
B2650
Sep 15, 2015
Henniker, NH
I use 3% Moly. If your greasing a FEL or Backhoe you need the Moly. As others have noted, the Moly is an extreme pressure grease and the pivot points on these attachments create tremendous pressure. It is certainly most important to have the Moly additive. Your not doing your equipment any favors by using a high-end grease on these attachments if it does not contain Moly.

My B2650 has one grease fitting on the tractor and many on the FEL & Backhoe so I use 3% Moly on everything. I also grease until I see a fair amount of grease come put. I than wipe off the excess.

nick2010tundra

Equipment
BX25
Jul 18, 2015
Saint John, NB
I think regular greasing is more important than the brand or even type of grease (within reason).
That said, I use synthetic NLGI #2 grease in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I use a marine grease with a lock and lube, I think most important thing is to grease it often

JB13502

Equipment
MX5200
Jan 12, 2018
Deerfield, NY

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I won't argue which grease is better, but I am starting to see polyurea grease in all my local equipment dealers. I bought a case from Kubota and am currently using it on everything. It doesn't seem as "sticky" as a lot of other greases. I'm not sure if that matters on low speed applications like pins and bushings.