Grease This?

CaptTPT

Equipment
L3301 plus several
Jul 9, 2016
Eugene, Oregon
L3301 50 hr service. There is a YouTube video on 50 hr service that suggests we should grease the front axle housing at this site. See pics. There are rubber plugs protecting a threaded opening into the axle housing. He attached grease fittings here and greased away. There are no factory grease fittings attached here. Anyone know what this access is for?? I do not see a discussion in the manual where this is reviewed.
Tom

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am not familiar with L3301......but I don't think you want to grease that spot behind the cover, either that is a overfill point, a breather port or a possible point to bolt something to. If it was a grease point, it would have a zerk - and I do not think you would want to mix grease and 85w90 gear oil, or UDT2 and grease.

then again - I could be dead wrong, just ask my wife!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You tube has the ability to send you down a path of complete disaster.
His Information is dead wrong!
ALWAYS READ THE YOU TUBE COMMENTS!
If you look very close at it, you will notice that there is a stop bolt in the same exact location just behind it....Humm wonder what would happen if you bolt that same housing on the other side of the tractor, wow you need that bolt boss to insert the stop bolt.
Now if you put a grease zerk on it and compress up a blind boss with grease, your very very likely to crack the case! :eek:

Last edited:

CaptTPT

Equipment
L3301 plus several
Jul 9, 2016
Eugene, Oregon
All of your responses have been mine as well. The nut on YouTube found his grease fitting were the wrong thread (std instead of metric) but he cranked on the zerk until he forced it in. Then greased away happily telling us it worked fine! Clearly not the sharpest tack in the drawer! What are those threaded access ports for?? Anyone know?