GR2120 - Excessive Rear wheel spin??

Stingray

Equipment
Gr2120
Mar 21, 2022
Chicago
My mom has a gr2120 that appears to have excessive "outboard" rear wheel spin when turning. BY that I mean if I turn left the right rear wheel spins causing ruts in the lawn. I know that with the glide steer when you turn the inboard rear wheel will disengage and the outboard rear wheel will spin....But I think the outboard wheel is spinning more than it should. She recently had the trans serviced to replace a broken Input Shaft.

Any idea what this could be?
Thank you
Andy

Reactions: 1 user

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Check
Level on the deck
Tire pressures

Get the back end off the ground and turn one of the wheels. See if they both spin the same or different directions.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
My mom has a gr2120 that appears to have excessive "outboard" rear wheel spin when turning. BY that I mean if I turn left the right rear wheel spins causing ruts in the lawn. I know that with the glide steer when you turn the inboard rear wheel will disengage and the outboard rear wheel will spin....But I think the outboard wheel is spinning more than it should. She recently had the trans serviced to replace a broken Input Shaft.

Any idea what this could be?
Thank you
Andy
The glide steer system is imperfect, and is one of many reasons I won't own one of those things. It's "supposed" to "unlock" the rear wheels when you steer a certain distance from centered position, and this is done via cables. The cables are known to break, often at the front but not always. If/when they do, the rear wheels act like a solid axle like a go-kart. If the inner wheel gets more traction, the outer wheel will turn the same speed as the inner and make it look like it's spinning one wheel, tears up the turf, etc.

Check both of the glide steer cables, both at the front axle and at the transmission. Adjust them per the manual if they are not sticking and/or damaged. It's kind of a bit of a process to get them adjusted correctly, and "correctly" can be subjective as you can adjust them a little either way of "spec" for your liking.

If both cables are fine, the likelihood of it being a problem inside the transmission is high. These things are well-known for transmission problems and glide steer system is one of the many problems that sometimes pop up. Worn bushings is another. Leaks, pto leaks, pto clutch failures, overpressurizing and dumping fluid from the vent, all issues with these.

Reactions: 1 user

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Wow, never knew they had so many issues with these. Thanks for the enlightenment lugbolt.