GR2110 Steering Problem

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When making turns steering seems to catch a bit and then jerks lose. Doesn't do this with the weight off front tires.
How fast are you traveling when this occurs?
These tractors don’t have “power steering” such as you have in your automobile. It is “hydraulic-powered steering”.... a significant difference, in that no “direct” mechanical connection exists. If you are traveling v e r y-s l o w l y .... then your wheels may be experiencing high turning-resistance. And extreme example is when you are not moving at all and may find the steering unresponsive.

buzzardsmith

Equipment
GR2110 w/snowblower
May 6, 2011
Swartz Creek,MI
How fast are you traveling when this occurs?
These tractors don’t have “power steering” such as you have in your automobile. It is “hydraulic-powered steering”.... a significant difference, in that no “direct” mechanical connection exists. If you are traveling v e r y-s l o w l y .... then your wheels may be experiencing high turning-resistance. And extreme example is when you are not moving at all and may find the steering unresponsive.
The tractor has 400 hrs and this is a new problem. Tractor can be stationary with full weight on front wheels and turns with ease but will catch toward end of cycle like it's hanging up on something and then releasing. No problem jacked up with no weight

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
tractordata.com says your GR2110 has glide steer. Although this OTT thread I will link you to is a GR2120, it also has glide steer and found broken steering rod holder bracket causing their (post 9 and 10) steering problem. Don't know how close a 2120 is to your 2110 is or if thats your problem but might be worth checking. Link to thread CLICK HERE

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
cables out of adjustment

cables fraying or broken

cable brackets bent or broken

glide steer clutch(es) worn in transaxle

glide steer mechanism inside transaxle screwed up

I have seen all of the above happen; hence the reason I will never own a GR21XX mower they cut awesome but way too many problems with them and they were never cheap problems

u need to go through the book for your mower, to the "tee". The cable adjustments are CRITICAL if they are off you will eat up the clutches in the transmission and they are no fun (nor cheap) to fix/replace. That transmission is a nightmare if you have to go into it, and there are some tricks that the wsm doesn't tell you about like using a starter rope in the channel before bolting the two halves back together, this keeps the channel clean of any liquid gasket

yeah they are a goofy overcomplicated and overpriced transaxle that is a sore subject with many. I had to buy one for a customer once, at that time it was about $3700 retail. The mower isn't worth that once it's got some hours on it.

buzzardsmith

Equipment
GR2110 w/snowblower
May 6, 2011
Swartz Creek,MI
tractordata.com says your GR2110 has glide steer. Although this OTT thread I will link you to is a GR2120, it also has glide steer and found broken steering rod holder bracket causing their (post 9 and 10) steering problem. Don't know how close a 2120 is to your 2110 is or if thats your problem but might be worth checking. Link to thread CLICK HERE
It was the brackets both left and right. Thanks for the help