Equipment
5' Rear blade, 4' Tiller, 60" finishing mower, 50" Snowblower
Aug 30, 2012
Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
DSC_3270.jpg

DSC_3398.jpg

DSC_3412sml.jpg

DSC_3415sml.jpg Hey Everyone!
New to the forum. I just got a new to me L1501DT with just barely 800hrs on it for $3995cdn. Hell of a deal and looks brand new. Nothing has been broken/damaged or tampered with or modified. Runs like a top but everything is in japanese, but i figured it out. Only one problem(hardly) with it, both brake, locked together or not, stick, and its not the pivot points or the mounting shaft, everything is free there, it is some where internal inside thouse housings just on the sides of the transmission case. I can push down either brake pedal and the brakes work great but i have to manually pull the brake pedal back. again i have disconnected the linkages right to point where they go inside the housings and everything is free. Its internal that they are sticking. I have no manuals yet. Any ideas? Thanks! Eric

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, and nice looking tractor!
How long have you been using the tractor? How long did it set, previously? I know that on my B7100, over the winter, the differential lock got stiff. I could push the lever down, and it would stay. I could pull it back, with a little effort. After working it feverishly for a little bit, it freed up. I have a friend with a John Deere 750, with the same brake issue. It is working better, now that it is getting used. I would try that first.
And, by the way, beautiful place!

EricDraper

Equipment
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks! Its about 2 months old to me know. I have put about 50hrs on it. I have sprayed some WD40 on the shaft where it enters its housing, hoping it would work its way in there but no luck yet. I think the tractor did sit for quite some time. As i picked it from a dealer who brought it from overseas where it was waiting for a seacan to be filled with more of its brothers. This was the last one to be sold and the paint was quite faded. Ill keep working it and see what happens.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Check the side of the break peddel underneath. There's a grease fitting on the end and might need a shot of grease if thats the reason why the peddel doesnt return back up after depressing it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Check the side of the break peddel underneath. There's a grease fitting on the end and might need a shot of grease if thats the reason why the peddel doesnt return back up after depressing it.
He said that he's disconnected the rods, and all of that works smoothly. It is hanging up inside the brake housing.

EricDraper

Equipment
Aug 30, 2012
Yup, everything has been disconnected. Its inside somewhere. Found a parts book for a L185 and it seems similar. It appears as thou that shaft goes inside and rotates a brake type disc that backs up against the housing with ball bearings mounted between them inside little indentations. Once disc spins against the bearings, the plate and housing must push away from each other creating friction on the rotating friction plate. Anybody seen inside these housings first hand? Wondering if these are 'wet brakes' or dry brakes. Id love to find a service manual for some clearer pictures. If i didnt have to drain the oil id be tempted to pull one tire/axle housing assembly off and see whats up.

Eric brakes.jpg

EricDraper

Equipment
Aug 30, 2012
Got a new manual, have discovered the brakes are a 'wet' type of brake. Ordered all new orings and gaskets as well as new brake disks just because for my L1501DT. I ordered all the parts at my local kubota dealer for a L185DT. As soon as i get back home from work i will remove the final drives and brake housings and get the brakes working smoothly again. Will post pics. Should be a strait forward job.

EricDraper

Equipment
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks Vic! You hit the nail on the head all the way around! It came from Flaman in PA, and i was told it was probably the last one they will be importing as they lost their contact overseas or something to that effect. I have also been in contact with Jim and Sue! She is top notch and was able to get me a couple tie rod ends for my ride shipped off to me the very same day i called. I am currently out of province and bought a spare hyd filter and several consumable orings as well as all my brake parts from the local kubota dealer in sudbury. They were able to have everything for me in less that 24hrs so that was nice. As soon as i get home i am taking off those final drives and tearing my brakes apart.

Cheers
Eric