Good News Bad News Need Help

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
Good News Bad News Need Help G1800 tranny

The good news in a nutshell. Bought G1800, which coughed and chugged so badly that i could barely drive it once I got it home. Replaced air and fuel filters and then fuel pump. It then drove like a champ. Both Powerful and quick up and down some big hills. I was thrilled with it and could barely wait to start it up the next day. Having had some Deere with crappy trannys, I was so excited to have that behind me.

Not so fast. The next day it started like a champ, but would barely move. Would go forward some but barely, and nothing in reverse. weird that it was so strong one day and nothing the next.

The fluid is so clean that i could barely see it, but it registered on the stick, perhaps a tiny bit low. I will add some Kubota fluid tomorrow. But i think it has enough. The drive shaft was recently replaced and was spinning fine and engaged the mower deck without issue.

What should i be looking for? What should i check? Is there a belt that needs replacing? welcome any help! Thanks in advance

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the HST is shaft driven off of the engine. Separate shaft from the deck drive shaft. Start there. Any vibration?

Secondly. There is a filter for the HST, it spins onto the front side of it. How long's it been since that's been serviced? Most don't know it's there and it's neglected.

Thirdly there is a suction screen on left side/bottom that can bet plugged with algae/water/old oil. Remove & clean it while you're changing the HST filter. When removing the screen, all of the oil will come out so be prepared with a couple gallons of super UDT2 on hand. If it ain't been changed in a while or unknown history, probably a good idea to do it anyway. IF that screen gets dirty/plugged the HST will not work and the deck lift will not work, or both will work intermittently and noisily. The HST on these is pretty quiet when operating properly.

Lastly, the suction tube (metal line from the screen to the transmission) has o-rings on the ends; if either is leaking, it will aerate the oil and pressure loss will result, weak transmission is the usual complaint. There's another tube that kinda goes into the top of the HST as well, and if that one's o-ring leaks, it'll do the same thing but the deck lift will work normally.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
WOW.... I just replaced the worn parts on my drive shaft thanks to guidance from Lugbolt and my G1900 has the exact same issue. Transmission oil clear and seems to go after warmed engine a bit but I am going to change all the trans oil, filter and clean screen and put new orings on it. Right now I am going through the deck. While the nation fights the Corona Virus I seem infected with the Kubota Virus Thanks again Mr Lugnut for your help and good luck G to O with yours.
Now one more question. Do you know where the glow plug timer module is located ? I have read that it could be the reason my indicator light does not work.

Thanks,
22R

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
Lugnut, Thank you!
According to the records of previous owner, tranny fluid was changed recently. That is backed up by the clear colored fluid. In his notes, he says he used the Kubota fluid.

I'm on some scaffolding today, but my brother has kindly said he will take your notes and at least ID all the components you cited somwe can move forward later. We are grateful for your help, esp since we are new to kubota. I also downloaded a Workshop Manual. So feel free to mention specific pages etc if that helps.

And 22R, please lets keep each other up to date on progress. Good luck!

GreentoOrange

Equipment
Deere 4300, X320
Mar 2, 2020
Gordonsville
the HST is shaft driven off of the engine. Separate shaft from the deck drive shaft. Start there. Any vibration?

Secondly. There is a filter for the HST, it spins onto the front side of it. How long's it been since that's been serviced? Most don't know it's there and it's neglected.

Thirdly there is a suction screen on left side/bottom that can bet plugged with algae/water/old oil. Remove & clean it while you're changing the HST filter. When removing the screen, all of the oil will come out so be prepared with a couple gallons of super UDT2 on hand. If it ain't been changed in a while or unknown history, probably a good idea to do it anyway. IF that screen gets dirty/plugged the HST will not work and the deck lift will not work, or both will work intermittently and noisily. The HST on these is pretty quiet when operating properly.

Lastly, the suction tube (metal line from the screen to the transmission) has o-rings on the ends; if either is leaking, it will aerate the oil and pressure loss will result, weak transmission is the usual complaint. There's another tube that kinda goes into the top of the HST as well, and if that one's o-ring leaks, it'll do the same thing but the deck lift will work normally.

I wanted to give an update. Dealership said there is a ball joint under pedal which often goes bad. i didnt see one in person or on Kubota parts page. Somi proceeded on simplest path. Low fluid seems to be the short answer, but still confirming.
The dipstick read just a little low, but bc it is so clear, it was difficult to read. i added slowly and decided to use a substitute dipstick to get more clear reading. i may have added a little too much by the time i used alternate stick.

The machine slowly ran better both in forward and reverse. it took a while, but it was almost good as it was. Still a little weak in Reverse.

So i cut some. When i got back, there was oil under fill spout and on tire. I also was on a significant side hill where tire raised a little. That along with added oil may have caused it to spill. Ive cleaned up area and will check to see.

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
My 92 G1900 refresh continues. I attacked the leaky O ring problem and at first stab I thought I failed when I replaced the one going from screen to top of pump and no change, I was about to put the fenders and seat back on and decided to pull all 3 lines the one I mentioned and the two coming from the filter housing. All the O rings looked ok but felt stiff. Put it all back together with new O rings and have reverse as soon as engine starts. Thanks to Lugbolt for all the tips and everyone else for their input.

22R

Attachments