glow plug timers

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi, just been thinking about glow plug timers.
what excatly is there purpose, and, would there be any benafit to be gained from fitting to my B6000's and 7100's.
i've seen some recently on the web for kubota's but unsure if they were of any real use to my applications.

thanks
rob

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
hi, just been thinking about glow plug timers.
what excatly is there purpose, and, would there be any benafit to be gained from fitting to my B6000's and 7100's.
i've seen some recently on the web for kubota's but unsure if they were of any real use to my applications.

thanks
rob
Glow Plug timers are just exactly that.....it allows the glow plugs to heat up for a set amt of time which could be longer than necessary especially after the machine has been running and doesn't need preheating of the glow plugs. Personally I would think it would be better to activate the glow plugs for the amt of time needed manually for different weather conditions(temps)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Recently replaced one that was hung 'on' and running down battery even while engine was running.

Don't know exactly how it knows but does vary the time 'on' based on engine block temp and ambient air temp. Or so I was told by tech.

My bet is--based on wiring harness and parts book--it reads only the engine temp and times itself accordingly.

In hot summer it clicks off in a second or two. Dead winter it might sit 'on' for fifteen seconds on coldest day.

My OEM replacement cost about $70.

If you don't have one as original, I'd be inclined to go with pushbutton and experience based on air temps. That's what the Army did / does on its heavy trucks---hold the button down until it feels right then engage starter. System works fine.