Getting worried about my purchase.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Other than routine maintenence, flat front tire, new battery etc, my 1999 L3010 has had one part failure and has never been back to a dealer shop or in any other repair shops. The first and only part failure in 1250 hours of service was a glow plug controller. I replaced it myself for $70.
I also noticed years ago that Kubotas seem to be the most common brand on the rental lots. Those rentals take real hard use and abuse and yet must still be profitable.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
This is definitely more a product of the forum you are viewing. I first found this forum when researching what tractor I was going to buy and was glad a forum as big as this one existed where I could find knowledgeable people that could help with problems if something arose. I have had several tractors and my father/grandfather and except for a Kubota a few years back that we bought and sold for a profit I did not have a lot of experience with them. Reading this forum showed me that I was buying something that was an excellent value for what you get, especially if you buy used.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Don't worry about the nay sayers I have a Grand L3830 have owned it for 6 years put 600 plus hours on it and have spent $0 on repairs but I do service it when needed and I don't abuse it my only expenditure has been servicing and one set of front tires . Enjoy your Kubota

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I experienced the same worries back in 08 when a goldwing was to be in my future. The forums mentioned so many problems that it almost didn't happen, and this is one of the most dependable bikes out there. Well, that was some time ago, and in that span of time there have been zero problems. With that under my belt, I recently purchased a BX23 with 1500 hours on it, and other than the know HST fan problem, there has been no downside to this purchase. Make a decision on what you want and do not go by the problems on this forum, unless it is one that shows up time and again.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
L4610 HST, 15 plus years old run by every gubbernment employee and as far as i know its still thumpin away. That machine was abused. Used to get on my nerves when peope would get rough and break something off the tractor. Or bend a fender or rip off a hose.
Start, run and move was never an issue.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
If you still need reassurance after all these post's...don't worry one bit. I am a BIG "buy american" guy and even I had to skip over JD to buy a Kubota and I'm happy I did. There's not even a question who builds a better engine and the rest of the machine is just as solid. I'm coming up on 300hrs on my BX I bought in 2012 without a single issue and I work it like it's a D9 bulldozer.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i was very happy with my L3200.
i finished the cleanup on my place from a forest fire and wanted a cab for summer use. also i figured i'd save a bit downsizing. as all of my implements would fit except the front end loader. the smaller tractor i could use a belly/mid mount mower, making my mowing easier, plus the B3350 would be lighter, keeping compactation lower.
my only regret, i should of traded sooner, before the tier 4 regulations became effective..
as that is the only problem my new tractor is suffering from..

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I'm just here for the milk and cookies :D

All forums like this one have repair and problem forums. Just think if you ever do have a kubota issue - this is a great forum for all of us to help you figure out what it is!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Our closest real tractor dealer in my area within say 30 miles is a john deere dealer selling the smaller similar to the kubota bx series to the larger M series. But here is the catch that everyone i know around me it is rare to see a john deere tractor in use or for sale. When the owner heard that lowes was going to be selling the lawn mowers he refused to work on them. Also seems he has same tractors for sale From 2008 as new still. So dealer attitude makes a difference. But guess what the most popular brand that is owned and used near me the L series with back hoes and there are at least 2 I know of with 3 miles of my house. A friend also owns a bx25d to use on their small farm. So kubota is a popular brand considering the nearest dealer is at least 90 miles away for parts for kubotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That dealer wasn't the only one who shared that sentiment when it came to mass marketing by JD. I worked for a dealer back in the early 2000's, same deal. The L100 series started showing up at Lowes and Home depot. The problem with those were that they were cheap mowers. Basically a green/yellow Craftsman-everything about 'em was dirt cheap. That was just the start of mass marketing. John Deere changed in the early 2000's from a product that was exclusive, excellent quality and craftsmanship to a more expensive version of a Sabre with different colors and stickers. The even bigger problem came with the smaller JD dealerships. Now instead of them taking care of JD customers, now they've having to work with the mass market customers....in other words, those customers who chose to purchase from Home Depot and Lowe's (among others). Those customers bought their machines that have been sitting out front for up to 8 months, with no gas in them, batteries never charged, and they were delivered to the customers that way. In some cases, they wouldn't start or carbs were dirty (they are test run at factory with gasoline and a hot battery). So then the little dealers who were selling real JD stuff were asked to perform warranty work. A carb cleaning on a L100 paid about $25 at the time (warranty flat rate). Dealers made zero, even lost money in a lot of cases. Customers were mad because they bought a "John Deere" and then either the dealer was backlogged or the dealer flat refused to do it. JD corporate told many of the small and multi-line dealers that either you do it or you get out of the JD business; and in our case we focused on Kubota and told JD to pound sand with their plastic tractors. JD opened a new dealer closeby and I went to work for them. Kubota dealer I used to work for outsells the JD sub 100 hp tractors by about 1.5:1 but that is not just the Kubota brand that is doing the selling; it also says some about the dealer. The JD dealer I worked for was hard to get to (location sucked), the help's attitude was poor overall, and the parking was nonexistent-just to name 3 dealership problems. Plus lack of experience in the parts and service departments, aside from myself (I was a writer). I was offered job back at the Kubota place and took it, and glad I did. I still like my old LX188, and I buy parts for it occasionally but when the time comes to replace it, I'm pretty certain that it'll probably be a Kubota, actually I'm in the process of probably buying an old G1800 for my dad. And hopefully my old G1900S that I bought last year will get put back together soon (bought it used/damaged).

On the lawn & garden side, JD doesn't have anything that compares to Kubota's Kommander series. They have their little plastic zero steer mowers but they don't even come close if you really dig deep into them. Subcompact JD's are plastic hoods and fenders, and same material that they made the LX100 hoods out of (extremely brittle). That characteristic follows even into the larger tractors. Also, a lot of the JD stuff is built by other companies-and this started with the 4000 series compact tractors back in the 2000's. Kubota still makes almost every single component of their tractors, including the engine, transmission, wheels.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Lugbolt you said everything i can see why local JD did not want to work on the lowes or home depot lawn mowers. So i can see why local dealers would not want to do support for the mowers. And last when you look at the lowes machines they do look like a cheap crapsman mower painted green and yellow. After doing work on own craftmans mowers and tillers and pay out the butt for parts excluding shipping I will never buy anything with craftman on it again if i can help it. Older 5 hp tiller tines had wore down from use but replacement tines were close to $250 for all 4. The thing cost $500 new. I do wonder if the cub cadets at tractor supply are similar in quality as the lowes JD mowers. Lucky for me as a kubota noob on the board my worse cost so far is changing the oil and hst filters and finding the hst fan protector bent on last oil change. Most often broke parts so far has been shear pins on tractor tiller. I can buy them from kubota dealer for $2 each or buy 18 nuts and bolts for $3 at tractor supply by the pound. I have went thru 5 in a single day tilling ground and always when finishing up at same end. So Jay2 if i have not destroyed my tractor yet with the misuse i expected you really have nothing to worry about so much. Plus kubota makes the tractors in Georgia so it is at minimum assembled in the USA if most parts are not also made in US. Take lots of pictures with what you decide on having. I have yet to feel it was a bad buy ever, been best purchase so far in my life.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I rent Kubota tractors. I have done so for 25 years. That's like "running into the fire". Out of all these machines and there have been many, I have had 3-4 warranty claims.You can break a Kubota machine but they seldom break themselves. Out of all the Kubotas sold, only a minuscule percentage of them are ever represented here and I don't often see a problem posted that was Kubotas fault. When you leave Kubota, you are going downhill quality wise.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Lugbolt you said everything i can see why local JD did not want to work on the lowes or home depot lawn mowers. So i can see why local dealers would not want to do support for the mowers. And last when you look at the lowes machines they do look like a cheap crapsman mower painted green and yellow. After doing work on own craftmans mowers and tillers and pay out the butt for parts excluding shipping I will never buy anything with craftman on it again if i can help it. Older 5 hp tiller tines had wore down from use but replacement tines were close to $250 for all 4. The thing cost $500 new. I do wonder if the cub cadets at tractor supply are similar in quality as the lowes JD mowers.

I did a lot of research last year when I decided to switch from my Kubota's MMM to a zero turn. Believe it or not, ALL Craftsman and MOST Cub Cadet, Toro, Ariens, and Husqvarna lines all come out of MTD. It's crazy, you can literally buy the exact same mower in 6 different colors/badging. I ended up going with a Cub Cadet from TSC based on better pricing but the "entry" level units are all the same. I also visited a true Cub Cadet dealer/service spot but the pricing was 30% higher for the exact same machine as the big box which is unfortunate. They also carried "true" Cub Cadets built by Cub but these are high quality commercial units with a price tag to match. I'd prefer to buy from the local guy and would pay 5-10% more to do it but not 30%. For the record I'm very happy with my Cub Cadet ZTR-S, actually I love the thing almost as much as my Bota.

The only way to avoid these mass built mowers (if you really feel you want to) is to buy a Ferris, Cub Cadet Z force line, Dixie Choppers (was not impressed btw), Gravely or Simplicity. Simplicity builds/designs all their own equipment and had the best quality at the closest price to big box for the record. They would have been my next choice.

Last edited:

springfarm

Equipment
BX23,fel, bh, L4150, blade
Jul 31, 2018
Fredericksburg, Va.
Jay2, I have a BX23 bought used and it is a beast. Very few problems after having used it hard. It has done an unbelievable amount of hard work for me. If it died today it would be because I have abused it. I love my BX23.

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
Bought my used 2018 L3901 with 58 hours on it in March. Dealer had just completed the 50 hour service. In a handful of months, I now have 178 hours on it. Only "problem" I had was not being able to hook up the hydraulics on my grapple one hot day. Folks here taught me how to relieve pressure, and problem solved.

Mine was worked perfectly thus far.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought my L3800 new in May of 2013.
My only issue was when I changed from my forks to my bucket and only locked in one side. I dug and bent the front QC frame. My Fault.
I've had 0 issues of any kind with my tractor.
I'm not sure why but I loose a pint of antifreeze every 2-3 months. I park it on a 3/4" stone pad. I really don't see any leaks. But other then that. I love it. It'll last me a lifetime.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
I purchased an L3300 many years ago. operator error caused one hydraulic hose to wear through one hydraulic hose just blew.. In very subzero temps I sometimes have difficulty engaging the PTO Thats it.. Best machine I ever bought -- sure do wish very expensive cars and trucks worked as well I recommend KUBOTA to evryone looking to buy a unit

MHO

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Every time I check in here, half or more of the new post are about something wrong with a Kubota. I'm sure all brands have issues, it just caught my attention, I'm not accustomed to spending this much money and hope mine hold's up, and everyone else's luck improves.
How about this testimonial:

In 1993, I bought my first new Kubota, a B1750HSTD with Bi-Speed turn.

In the subsequent 25+ years that I have owned it, it has needed absolutely nothing aside from regular lube, oil and filters. Nothing. Not so much as a fuse, fan belt, or hose. Nothing.

Yes, it does get good care and maintenance, is kept inside, and is not abused.

Still, 25 years is impressive.

FWIW, I now own 5 Kubotas.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Usually when the epa or guberment change a specification or mandate on something, there is a mad dash for vendors and manufacturers to meet a deadline. So they end up outsourcing parts from manufacturers they don't normally use and current manufacturers have to ramp up production.

This usually leads to quality control issues and increased failure rates. And it's not just tractors. It also pertains to vehicles, household appliances, electronics, ect... :rolleyes:

Bingo, Daren.

Yet another problem caused by know-nothing government bureaucrats sitting in a cube somewhere.

SDT

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
People come to forums usually when there are issues. Select few join proactively, or for the love of the machine. If you want to really read some nightmare stories subscribes to any truck forum with a brand new diesel a few months in or later. Or any vehicle with a brand new redesign. Always entertaining, especially because they’re much higher volume.