Getting started welding

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Different people have different learning styles. I'm usually good at learning from books and on-line stuff. And that's what I've done with welding, but I should have done some classes. Mostly because there is someone that can look over your shoulder and critique your technique. Give you personal feedback that you don't get on-line.
As for machine, a 110 machine just isn't big enough for a lot of farm equipment repairs. I started with a Craftsman (by Century, I think) 110 flux core to patch a lawn mower deck and it's ok for light stuff. Then I bought a used Honda welder that's good up to about 130 amps DC mobile. And it'll power the flux machine. I think a 220 MIG/flux core like several have mentioned is the best single machine for all-around farm-type use. MIG for new metal shop jobs, and flux for field work. Be aware that the cheapest 110 flux machines are AC ouput and the flux process is supposed to be DC. There are several 220/110 multi-process machines out that get good reviews also. Another advantage of attending classes is you get to use different equipment and see what you like before buying.
Good luck.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
This guy has about the best videos on YouTube:
weldingtipsandtricks.com
Pretty good advice from the others so far but I would strongly advise that you go with a good name welding machine. Trying to learn welding on a machine that doesn’t weld consistent....well I need not say more.

Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
1. Turn the heat up.
2. You want the sound of bacon frying.
3. Prep is 90% of welding.
4. Turn the heat up.

Sarcastic I know, but mostly true. The best way to learn is to do it. Get you a welder and start laying beads. Play with the settings to see what happens. Post them here and others can tell you what’s good and what’s not. You can also cut the weld if you have a band saw to see what’s going on in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bougt a Lincoln AC-225-s 'buzzbox' back in '86 as it was cheaper than having local shop weld up some steel I'd already cut. Since then, have welded eveything from mower decks to trailers. learned early to ONLY use brand name 7018AC rods. Now every weld is great. I have no need for MIG,TIG or anything else. If I need Al or other 'specialty' welding done, neighbour with wall full of certificates does it !

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Others have given plenty of equip advice.

My advice (having welded most materials with most technologies over the last 30 years).

Be COMFORTABLE (in mind more than physical). Good welds come from a steady hand. If you find yourself anxious or jittery, the weld will suffer. So my main advice is be comfortable.

Be CLEAN (material wise, not physical - lol). You can only make great welds on clean material. Doesn't matter how nice of a welder you have or how good you are, dirty material will affect the weld.

Back to the first point but really one on it's own, have NO FEAR. Respect for sure, but no fear. At the end of the day just about anything you screw up can be ground down and redone. Fear will hurt in all directions.

Andrew Camarata on youtube did a quick weld example. He took two pieces of flat stock and welded them together with a 1in bead. He then went on to lift a truck with it. Welding is awesome and strong.

Last point ENJOY the power! Welding is magic.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Lots of great tips and advice, guys, thank you!

So it looks like there is a near-unanimous consensus that MIG is the way to go. Cost isn't a major factor for me so maybe I'll go with the 220. It will give me an excuse to run a 220 circuit to my shop anyway. (which will give me an excuse to buy a bigger table saw)

So with MIG looks like there's gas and flux? One of you mentioned gas is cleaner. Guess that might be the way to go then.

And yes, no skimping on the safety equipment. I have no desire to get burnt or go blind!

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY

So it looks like there is a near-unanimous consensus that MIG is the way to go. Cost isn't a major factor for me so maybe I'll go with the 220. It will give me an excuse to run a 220 circuit to my shop anyway. (which will give me an excuse to buy a bigger table saw)

So with MIG looks like there's gas and flux? One of you mentioned gas is cleaner. Guess that might be the way to go then.

And yes, no skimping on the safety equipment. I have no desire to get burnt or go blind!
Wait until you inevitably flash yourself for the first time. You instantly know that you screwed up, but you don't pay for it until a few hours later. Your eyes burn and feel like they have sand in them. Something to look forward to ;)

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Look at quality build machine Miller, Lincoln and many others. With MIG you'll be able to use Flux core or gas. I only use Flux Core when working outside, the wind can blow out the gas shield.
Also as others have said Clean, Clean get a Good grinder and use Flapper sanding disc's as well as a grinding wheel. Go slow it takes time and practice, practice.
Have fun.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA

So as far as gas vs flux there are pros and cons to each. Flux's main advantage is ease of use. You feed it, complete the circuit and start welding. I believe you can also get different fluxcore spools for different types of steel so if you wanted to weld stainless you change the spool and away you go. Main downside is the fumes are a lot harder to handle (at least personally), you have to chip off the slag, and it will splatter more.

Shielding gas gives a cleaner weld and also flexibility. Different concentrations of CO2 and Argon in your canister allow differing performance as far as heat and penetration. You can also get different wires for different materials in this case as well. Biggest hurdles are wind can blow the shielding gas away, having to make sure your regulator is in good repair and set correctly (if adjustable), turning the bottle off when done so you don't waste your gas (because all welders leak a little bit), and refiling canisters. You'll notice more splatter when the gas is low or your regulator is improperly adjusted and your welds will become porous.

Refilling canisters can be a pain. Personally until a year or so ago there was not a local dealer that was open when I was off work (they're hours were all like 9-3 M-F) so getting shielding gas was kind of a pain.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, If you are going to be welding in your shop consider getting (or building) a fume hood. This can be as simple as a shop vac hooked up to a self made hood or as complicated as a welder with fume extractor built in (they are super cool but pricey). The only reason I mention this is the fumes can get nasty and having something suck them away from you will be a god send.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I glued odds and ends together at the inlaw's farm till buying a Millermatic 175 about 15 years ago. It's a nice 240V machine, will do both fluxcore and solid. A couple years ago I added a Hypertherm Powermax30AIR plasma cutter. I'm near retirement and wanted to round out the equipment. Just this past year I thought a stick machine would be fun, and bought an Everlast PowerArc 200STi. That's a slick lightweight inverter DC unit that runs on 120 and 240 volts. I haven't had much of a chance to use it so far. I did a couple small projects and am impressed with how nice it runs 7014 rod.

Some things to note:

* A MIG weld can look perfect (and be anything but) See the failed factory weld on one of my rear blades below
* Most if not all MIG machines use different drive rollers for solid / flux core wire
* Duty cycle usually doesn't matter to the hobbyist (but I did need to wait on the MM175 a few times when doing larger projects)
* It's impossible to have too many clamps
* Magswitch devices are great
* A decent heavy table and vise are VERY useful

Attachments

huey

Equipment
b6200d
Sep 17, 2020
Lakeport michigan
Classes maybe, depending on schedule and availability. I planned to see what I could find online.

But you can't do much without equipment, right? So what's the best route to go there for a beginner? I've heard arguments in all directions (gas, mig, etc), so just looking for some input on that.
Find your self a miller thunderbolt AC/DC machine they are older but can usually find used for under $250
Will handle most every thing you will encounter and the reason for stick you can use 6010 to burn crap out of dirty metal finish up with 7018 for strength and you have the versatility of doing stainless and hard surface over lay

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Don't use the cheap Harbor Freight googles
Welding googles.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lets start off, all great advice.
protective gear isnt all that expensive,a lightweight welding jacket is a good investment.
buy the best welder you can afford.
Definetly an auto darkening helmet. I think the headgear in the helmet is just as important as the performance of the lens. A crappy fitting/uncomfortable helmet is a distraction.
fire extinguisher/or a source of pressurized water. NEVER LEAVE YOUR SHOP IMMEDIATELY AFTER WELDING!! Smoldering bits can turn into a big fire really quick.
its suprising how a little spark can fly past you and land on a rag,and smolder away til it ignites.
hang out at least 1/2 hour before turning off the lights.

“A grinder and paint makes the welder i aint”

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When you install 240 to your garage,add recepatacles at BOTH ends of the garage ! Then, replug your other equipment to same as the welder(240V/50A ?). That way any tool can be used at any location.
One problem with flux core welders is humidity,so store spools in house,someplace warm and dry.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I take those silica packets that seem to come in everything and throw them in the tote where I keep my wire.