Getting ready to fab up a rear mounted 3PH lever

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
I drove through a Kioti dealer today to see how the 3 point hitch rear mounted activation lever was set up and it and the standard location lever were a maze of levers and linkages, actually kind of over engineered and complicated. Looked at mine when I got home and woah !! My kubota could not be simpler. I am just gonna get a nice lever from somewhere, likely a kubota part for some application, add a pivot point and mount to it and then a tie rod over to the original lever at about the same mechanical advantage ratio, don't look bad at all. I only want to wait for my rear hydraulic to be installed before hand so nothing runs into one another.

If anyone has done this I would really like to hear and or see pictures for ideas.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I drove through a Kioti dealer today to see how the 3 point hitch rear mounted activation lever was set up and it and the standard location lever were a maze of levers and linkages, actually kind of over engineered and complicated. Looked at mine when I got home and woah !! My kubota could not be simpler. I am just gonna get a nice lever from somewhere, likely a kubota part for some application, add a pivot point and mount to it and then a tie rod over to the original lever at about the same mechanical advantage ratio, don't look bad at all. I only want to wait for my rear hydraulic to be installed before hand so nothing runs into one another.

If anyone has done this I would really like to hear and or see pictures for ideas.
Little more clarity please on what your trying to accomplish?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Doug,

what are you trying to "lever" ??:)

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
A lot of Kioti models have a "remote" handle at the rear of the tractor to adjust the 3 point heights from the rear of the machine as opposed to having to having the operator travelling back and forth from the operators area to the rear of the tractor to adjust the height while hooking up to an implement. It is a feature often used on larger cabbed tractors. usually an electric over hydraulic function.
Kioti has made this feature available although with a mechanical system on a lot of their machines It is a nice feature, and yes, it would be nice if |Kubota was to follow through with this option on their smaller platformed units.

Cheers

Roger

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Now I understand what your trying to do. :)
Rear remote controls for the three point control are nice when hooking up some implements, just be careful, things can shift and move and get ya, where running controls from the seat things won't reach out and bite you. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would think about having that rear control set up in such a way it cant be activated unintentionally.like a lockout of sorts,inadvertently nudging it and causing three point to move. Or setting lever where you cant have hands in and move lever at same time.

I remember a story about a guy that insisted to use his fingers to line things up. I know he still has all his fingers, i cant understand how....

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I would think about having that rear control set up in such a way it cant be activated unintentionally.like a lockout of sorts,inadvertently nudging it and causing three point to move. Or setting lever where you cant have hands in and move lever at same time.

I remember a story about a guy that insisted to use his fingers to line things up. I know he still has all his fingers, i cant understand how....
My Kubota dealer has been looking out for my safety and warned me not to use my fingers to feel for the bolt holes...good thing, I might not have realized how effectively those things would remove digits.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Using a finger as an alignment tool can be costly. This is a correct statement, "I might not have realized how effectively those things would remove digits."

I have a friend who is a big, stocky, physical guy who believes he's the "Bull of the Woods". He had a horse with a halter on and he put his index finger in one of the "D" rings to yank on to get the house to move as he wanted. The horse disagreed with his tugging and yanked his head the other way. His finger stayed in the "D" ring.

Similar things happen with mechanical alignments. Leave a tapered punch in your tool box to have available when you think of using your finger.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Using a finger as an alignment tool can be costly. This is a correct statement, "I might not have realized how effectively those things would remove digits."

I have a friend who is a big, stocky, physical guy who believes he's the "Bull of the Woods". He had a horse with a halter on and he put his index finger in one of the "D" rings to yank on to get the house to move as he wanted. The horse disagreed with his tugging and yanked his head the other way. His finger stayed in the "D" ring.

Similar things happen with mechanical alignments. Leave a tapered punch in your tool box to have available when you think of using your finger.
Aargh! It is a tossup as to which can be more dangerous, horses or tractors. I like the punch in the toolbox idea. That and a little flashlight to reduce temptation to feel for an alignment.:)

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Ya that's it, just a rear mounted control lever. Looks simple enough on my tractor. I am moving my fabrication shop tools out to the new shop in the country at the moment so won't be any progress for a month. I just wanted to post and see if anyone else has done this and see if they hit any unforeseen issues or maybe had pictures.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Sounds like a good idea, you might want to try a short vermier control lever like those used on truck motors and boats. You would want to measure the amount of pull you need, by attaching a simple fisherman's spring scale to the hyd lever, to see what kind of force needed. Also, get a non-locking cable, and put the head in a spot that won't get hit by brush or anything else, inadvertently...

With my projects, the part is the least of my worries, it's the thinking where to mount it, so it doesn't cripple me...:D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Most of a larger cabbed tractors that have the electric over hydraulic switches mounted on the rear fenders for the 3 point hitch, have a safety feature built in. They are setup so that when you use the switch, the 3pt arms move at a extremely slow speed so that you have plenty of time to get out of the way. If you set up a lever operated system, design it so that it only moves the control lever a tiny amount so the arms move slow for safety.