Gear shift L2800 dies

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Sounds like the OPC system is shutting down the engine. OPC for Operator Presence Controller.

Read the attached page from the WSM to better understand what may be happening.

In brief, the OPC unit is monitoring various safety switches and deciding if the engine needs to be stopped for perceived safety reasons.

Dave

Attachments

Kabroken

Equipment
L2800DT, bobcat T190, cat 302.5C
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
Am I missing something? I have read forum after forum in hopes of finding my problem. Now my new problem is that the thread ends before a resolution has been found. It’s like the worst cliffhanger ever. How does the story end? Is it fixed? Did y’all trade it in? Did you shove it in the lAke? Come on throw us a bone here. I need my tractor fixed!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Am I missing something? I have read forum after forum in hopes of finding my problem. Now my new problem is that the thread ends before a resolution has been found. It’s like the worst cliffhanger ever. How does the story end? Is it fixed? Did y’all trade it in? Did you shove it in the lAke? Come on throw us a bone here. I need my tractor fixed!
please explain "your problem" ........... dead tractor? if so - what have you checked?

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
The sad truth is that a few who come for advice, once their problem is solved, move on with their life and do not report back.

Further, it usually means the advice given triggered something enabling a fix.

Start by responding to 85Hokie's questions.

Dave

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
please explain "your problem" ........... dead tractor? if so - what have you checked?
L2800 original issue was that it would die about 1 second after shifting from neutral. This eventually corrected itself once the tractor warmed up. That then became a constant problem and I taped the nuetral switch down so that I could get hay out for horses. Now the issue has morphed into the pto clutch lever. As soon as I engage the pto, the tractor dies after about 1 sec. Its frustrating because after speaking with an out of state dealer and then driving an hour to another out of town dealer with switches in hand I have yet to find any answers(the dealers were really a let down) I honestly think I educated them on a few things and electrical gremlins are my worst subject. That’s sad. Sorry for rambling. Skidsteer is broke. Mini x is broke. Side by side is broke and now the tractor. I’m about ready to move into an apartment.😫

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
I should mention this is a DT model. Regardless of the fact one dealer told me they are all HST. I should also say I’m am new to forums and their protocol or operation. And thank you both for a quick response. Honestly.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd say you have a pain in the switches.

• Haha

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I should mention this is a DT model. Regardless of the fact one dealer told me they are all HST. I should also say I’m am new to forums and their protocol or operation. And thank you both for a quick response. Honestly.

Switches .....
You got to love 'em ...... NOT!

Since yours is a geared DT version, I am wondering if the seat switch is a problem.

ON a typical HST model, if either the pto switch or hst switch is out of whack - it will kick the engine.... on your stick version I would think the same. Check this switch and report back.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
On the Canadian Kubota.ca web site I see both DT and HST models.

I see a safety switch associated with the range gear shift. Have you checked that one out?

If you get desperate, you could consider unplugging the stop solenoid and supplying it with 12 volts from the battery in order to keep the engine running.

This temporary fix has serious dangers in that the Operator Presence system is completely bypassed.

You have to be the one to assess the dangers and decide if this stop gap solution is necessary.

Dave

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
I checked(the best I know how) both range selector switch and the seat switch. They both tested good? These are the same switches I took to the dealer earlier today and had them check( the best they know how) and they skeptically showed them to be good. The testing was simply done with an ohm meter for continuity. Wether or not this is the proper way, I don’t know. Tomorrow I will test the system in the manner you said in an earlier thread and report back with the results. Again, thank you for your help. I do hope a resolution is found. And do not worry, my lovely wife just said “you are not bypassing any safety switches.”

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I thought the designation DT denoted 'Dual Traction' but I could be mistaken. Could also be 'delirium tremors'............ (y)

I have a dislike for safety switches in general. I defeated all of them on both my M's. I'm not an idiot. The only place there should be a safety interlock and isn't is on the parking brake. Should be a factory 'on' light but there isn't and I added one. Nothing better than driving with the brakes on. Easy to do with mine.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
This is a guess... The switch is good but it is not aligned correctly (or out of adjustment). When you are sitting in the seat, can you reach down to manually operate the OPS?

There has been people that had tractors cut off only turning right because they shifted in the seat. If it happens again, I would lean back and put more weight further back in the seat and see if that works.

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
This is a guess... The switch is good but it is not aligned correctly (or out of adjustment). When you are sitting in the seat, can you reach down to manually operate the OPS?

There has been people that had tractors cut off only turning right because they shifted in the seat. If it happens again, I would lean back and put more weight further back in the seat and see if that works.
I’ll have to check on reaching the switch while seated. But the switch lever itself is a fixed position. The only adjustment would be achieved by shimming the switch body itself. But mine has shut the engine off once or more when leaning left or right in an effort to see the edge of the bucket.

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
Now that I remember the time I had a problem, the front of the seat where it tilts up, my pin fell out and one side slide off the bar (shifted the seat). Long shot but it happened to me...
I wish mine were that simple but what I have come to realize is that my problems are usually unique, one of a kind, never saw that before type of problems. My wife says I’m being negative but I’m just following a pattern. I still think I am being filmed and laughed at during some of this. Gotta be.
Narrator:let’s watch as he goes out to see if he can start the tractor while reaching under the seat with one hand and engaging the pto with his left foot. This should be hilarious!

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
UPDATE....

Upon further research this morning with positive results yet more confusion, the ops check indicated that the seat switch is not operating correctly. With parking brake set, all control levers in the “NEUTRAL” position. Operator on the seat. Started the engine. Engaged the PTO lever and proceeded to stand up, the engine remained running. The only thing I was not sure of was if this is done with the clutch locked in the down position so I tried it both ways with the same results. Now prior to doing this I went on a hunch from old and tired and bent the tab on the bottom of the seat that engages the seat switch downward approximately 11/64”😎. Am I correct in assuming that my seat switch is bad but by bending the tab I somehow fooled it into thinking it’s not. One other question, where exactly is the OPC switch located? Thank you everyone for your help to this point and for putting up with my rants.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
UPDATE....

Upon further research this morning with positive results yet more confusion, the ops check indicated that the seat switch is not operating correctly. With parking brake set, all control levers in the “NEUTRAL” position. Operator on the seat. Started the engine. Engaged the PTO lever and proceeded to stand up, the engine remained running. The only thing I was not sure of was if this is done with the clutch locked in the down position so I tried it both ways with the same results. Now prior to doing this I went on a hunch from old and tired and bent the tab on the bottom of the seat that engages the seat switch downward approximately 11/64”😎. Am I correct in assuming that my seat switch is bad but by bending the tab I somehow fooled it into thinking it’s not. One other question, where exactly is the OPC switch located? Thank you everyone for your help to this point and for putting up with my rants.

The OPC switch is really the seat switch, the OPC is a cute name, should be called the ASD (a$$ sitting down) switch- if you bent the tab down a bit, that would make the switch work correctly would it not?

Kabroken

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
St. Louis, Mo.
The OPC switch is really the seat switch, the OPC is a cute name, should be called the ASD (a$$ sitting down) switch- if you bent the tab down a bit, that would make the switch work correctly would it not?
I’m assuming yes it would. But I still have the issue of it not shutting off when I stood up with the PTO engaged. But for now I’m going to bush hog and hope I’m not being set up to hit a yellow jacket nest. That should be good for the cameras😁. And thank you again for the help.