Gas in diesel !!

Zac

Equipment
Kubota 3200
Aug 20, 2016
McCalla Alabama
First time here, so my buddy at our hunting camp accidentally poured gas, i believe, into my fuel tank. He wanted to borrow it to bush hog fields, found a fuel container and poured what he thought was diesel into it. Few minutes after cranking it began to sputter and smoke and he said he immediately shut it off.
Thoughts? Gas or diesel with water? Just flush out and clean filter with fresh diesel real good and crank it over?

Thanks

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Drain tank, lines, filter, fully crack injectors and crank till you get nice clean diesel freely flowing. Don't let your buddy borrow your tractor because if he isn't going to be sure of what he puts in your tank, I doubt he's going to be sure of how to look after the rest of the machine.

Zac

Equipment
Kubota 3200
Aug 20, 2016
McCalla Alabama
Thank you sir, I can handle that.

You are correct on the borrowing issue. Felt like a reasonable adult wouldn't add fuel without being 100% on what it is. I'm beginning to understand why people just say no to loaning their stuff out.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Diesel should be in a yellow can - if you don't own one do your tractor a favor and buy one. ;) But yeah don't let him use your stuff.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
while it is still hot weather put a cup of Canola or Peanut vegetable oil in the tank to give it all a good lube. "OIL not LARD". The burn characteristics of the veg oil is close to diesel.... esp at such a low blend but will have a much higher lubricity number. Will help cause the gasoline washed away all the lube from items in fuel system designed to be lubed by fuel diesel OIL.

Make sure you use up the tank before it gets cold.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's what happens when I borrow something :rolleyes:

Before:

After: :eek:

Actually, I noticed a shaft on a roller seemed bent. And the bearings had seen better days. So, since the person was nice enough to loan me it. I picked up some new bearings. And gonna fix the shaft.

And do the right thing, which is return it in the same or better condition then when I received it ;)

Shaft came loose inside the roller.

And new bearings :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
while it is still hot weather put a cup of Canola or Peanut vegetable oil in the tank to give it all a good lube. "OIL not LARD". The burn characteristics of the veg oil is close to diesel.... esp at such a low blend but will have a much higher lubricity number. Will help cause the gasoline washed away all the lube from items in fuel system designed to be lubed by fuel diesel OIL.

I've started 'em up with the lines and filters full of ATF after a gasoline contamination to get all the lubricity I could as quick as I could.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You definitely the exception to the rule...

Normally you loan something and it doesn't come back on time or good condition.

I had that concept beat into me when I was a kid. Borrowed something and broke it. Dad whooped me, then made me work it off ;)

Here it is back together with the new bearings. Shaft straight and welded back in.

Had some 3/4" cold rolled steel kicking around, so I also replaced some missing teeth on the I-beam :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I've started 'em up with the lines and filters full of ATF after a gasoline contamination to get all the lubricity I could as quick as I could.
That's a good one too.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sweet work Daren and Kudo's for being a "Do the Right Thing" kinda person

Oct 8, 2014
oregon

Going BioDiesel on us now Coach? Older truckers here add two cycle oil.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Older truckers here add two cycle oil.
Wow, 2Smoke oil would get expensive. Old school rock haulers I knew kept a 55 gal drum of ATF and put about a gal of ATF to very 50 gal of diesel.

Some larger outfits with off road equipment and their own fuel tanks and shop would actually burn their engine drain oil mixed into the diesel to ease disposal issues, reduce fuel costs and add lubricity.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Going BioDiesel on us now Coach? Older truckers here add two cycle oil.
ashless 2 stroke oil is the best thing on the planet to add to diesel for lubricity on pre emissions diesels. There are numerous studies out there addressing this topic. I run 1oz 2 stroke oil to every gallon of diesel in all of my diesel rigs.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Wow, 2Smoke oil would get expensive. Old school rock haulers I knew kept a 55 gal drum of ATF and put about a gal of ATF to very 50 gal of diesel.

Some larger outfits with off road equipment and their own fuel tanks and shop would actually burn their engine drain oil mixed into the diesel to ease disposal issues, reduce fuel costs and add lubricity.
I would never run atf through a newer rig as the additives in it could potentially cause issues and would only run used engine oil if it was double and or triple filtered down to 2 micron absolute.